Raw hamburger?

Fusco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My adult cat (may) have eaten/licked some raw hamburger patties that I was preparing to grill today. Any concern here? I think steak is okay, but worried about it being hamburger. Stupid of me to turn my back, should have known. If it's an issue, how long before a problem would develop?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My adult cat (may) have eaten/licked some raw hamburger patties that I was preparing to grill today. Any concern here? I think steak is okay, but worried about it being hamburger. Stupid of me to turn my back, should have known. If it's an issue, how long before a problem would develop?
If any issues arise, it would probably be in the form of vomiting, diarrhea, or not eating, and probably within a day or two. My cats eat a lot of ground raw meats with no problems, but if your cat isn't used to it and ate enough to cause problems you might see some loose stool etc. Just keep an eye on them.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep an eye on your country's and/or areas recall list for a few days. I would think the risk would depend on cleanly standards on food preparation where you are and in the factory/butcher where it was prepared.

To be prudent, on your next vet visit you could bring a stool sample if you don't usually. It's likely to be fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fusco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all,
No issues presenting as of yet for the cat or us. Stool sample is good thinking, may do that.