Raw Goat Milk as starter/Probiotic

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

New here! Quick background:

- I have 2 cats (8year old & 3year old)
- My 8year old make used to be on dry food diet until I got my kitten 3 years ago. Since adopting new fur child in 2011 both cats have been on a grain-free, high protein/low carb canned food diet.
- I wanted to incorporate raw food 2 years ago (to eventually switch to 100% raw) so I bought some raw turkey necks from the grocery (Whole Foods), rinsed off really well as soon as I got home and gave a piece to each cat. They had never had any raw food before and LOVED it! I picked up leftovers after about 20 minutes, threw away and sanitized counter/floor. New kitten (1 year old at this point) got very sick, vet tested for Salmonella 3 days later and came back positive. Gave antibiotics, all good. Vet warned me away from raw food (of course).

I've done much research since then and know that grocery store meat has more bacteria because it is assumed that it is going to be cooked, etc. I know that many, many cats thrive on raw food diets and I truly believe it can be a positive thing. I want to give it a second chance but I am obviously terrified since I already gave my cat salmonella once and my vet has openly expressed that she discourages this diet.

I have a million questions and will need much help but I'm going to take it one step at a time so my purpose for this post is:

BABY STEP #1

Would it be OK to start off the raw feeding with an ounce or two of Raw Goat Milk a day as a natural Probiotic?
Specifically, this brand : Answers Additional Raw Goat Milk
http://answerspetfood.com/additional.html

I just noticed that many people start their cats off on probiotics before they begin a raw food diet and was wondering if anyone had any experience with Raw, unpasteurized goat milk in lieu of Probiotic capsules.

Thanks!!!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Normally, I'd say sure, raw goat's milk is great stuff!

HOWEVER, I noticed that they mention additives, specifically cinnamon, honey, & "cultures". 

I'd do some independent research on whether cinnamon and honey are okay for cats to digest.