Raw Freeze Dried Or No?

Jenna778

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone have any experience with feeding their cats Primal freeze dried raw as their diet? Or Stella & Chewy freeze dried raw? I recently switched my 12 year old boy in it because he’s refusing to eat anything else now. Any experience with these brands as their main diet ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jenna778

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also any suggestions on feeding these things I should know? He’s being a bit picky now again. One day he loves it another he’s not interested. I’m not sure if it’s maybe upsetting his system (no poops but an occasional throw up) or if he’s loosing his sense of smell since he’s 12. I’m confused. I’ve been battling food with him for 3 weeks now. Any suggestions for wet or freeze dried for picky picky older cats is welcomed.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats eat a lot of freeze-dried raw food and do very well on it. We add a little more water than the instructions say because our cats like the food soupy. They get quite a bit of Primal, with some Northwest Naturals and a small amount of Stella & Chewy's mixed in. I limit the S&C because it's fairly bony, raising the phosphorus and the chance of constipation.

In general, though, there's no reason freeze-dried can't be the main or only food you feed. If your cat's losing interest, you might want to try feeding varied blends of foods -- we never feed only one one kind of Primal, it's always part of a mix. Some cats may not be able to tolerate that but ours thrive on variety. They even get other food genres: a small Rad Cat snack, a homemade cooked meal, and a canned meal each day. They'd rebel if they didn't. :p

Good luck!

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had good luck getting cats to eat ground raw. Zero luck with prey format, but they seem to like some of the meats that I get from My Pet Carnivore. I've never tried the freeze-dried raw because of the cost but I wonder if you added water that might make it a bit smellier? Of course if you add water, you're inviting bacteria growth.

Jenna778

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your input.
We do use a variety of proteins in Primal and S&C as well as treats from Orijen and some of their dry food as a treat.
He’s just been super picky lately not sure why. Have your cats ever got a little belly ache when they were switched over? This has been like a week and a half since he’s been on it.

Jenna778

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had good luck getting cats to eat ground raw. Zero luck with prey format, but they seem to like some of the meats that I get from My Pet Carnivore. I've never tried the freeze-dried raw because of the cost but I wonder if you added water that might make it a bit smellier? Of course if you add water, you're inviting bacteria growth.
Hi thanks for the info. Yes you have to add water to hydrate the freeze dried raw food from Primal and Stella & chewy.
He liked it for a week. Not sure if his tummy may be upset.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats have never had any stomach issues from freeze-dried, though of course it's possible there's an ingredient that doesn't agree with your cat. You could try putting some crumbled treats on top of the food.

Given your cat's age, the occasional vomiting, and the sporadic lack of hunger, I wonder if it might be worth having a senior blood panel run. Even if nothing turns up, it's good to have the results as a baseline for later.

Good luck!

Jenna778

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I was thinking the same. Even though he did have a full blood panel and even stomach scan because we had a scare with his mouth. Turned out to be a bruised gum probably from kibble. But he came back clean.
He’s deathly afraid of the vet so I try to only bring him if something isn’t right at all because they have to sedate him to do anything to him my poor fuzzy guy.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont have the best of luck with the freeze dried raw. Most of it my cats will not eat it but once or twice, i have tried primal, stella and chewy, vital essentials, whole life, and feline naturals. And i know Stella and chewy is a good company, but one of my females like that, but stated acting fussy with it, and throwing up, that was when they had the recall for Listeria. She was ok after a few days, lucky she is a picky eater, and didn't eat much. i was notified by chewy that it was my lot#. I know that can happen with any food, but has made me a bit hesitant with Raw. I know many people feed these brands and never have a problem.

right now i feed Dr. elsey's dry, I and my cats like it a lot. and a variety of wet twice a day, mainly weruva, tiki cats, fussie cat premimum, nutro, and rawz.

Good luck with which ever food you decide on! :)

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed homemade raw. I once tried freeze dried raw, but neither of my cats liked the texture of the rehydrated Stella and Chewy's. They do love eating it dry though, so I give it to them as an occasional treat.

It's a great diet if your cat likes it, though it's hard on the wallet to feed it exclusively.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Primal Freeze Dry is the best for my cats. I have been reading horrible things about kibble cat food, regardless of quality or clever colorful marketing packages. It's made with roadkill animals, disease animals in slaughter houses, dead zoo animals, and dog and cat kill shelter meat. It's all dumped in a large oven; some dogs or cats are left with their flea collars on and thrown in and cooked. Then it's processed with added vitamins and minerals. I look very carefully at the can food I buy, but so far I am spending a lot on Primal.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My one cat loved it, but cannot have it because it contributed to a terrible constipation problem which was evidenced by him becoming more picky and refusing to eat. So you may want to watch your cat to make sure there is some product in the litter box.

I've incorporated the freeze dried raw NW Naturals for my 17 year old hyperthyroid cat to put weight on him. It's working. Even with the medication, he was staying pretty thin.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My one cat loved it, but cannot have it because it contributed to a terrible constipation problem which was evidenced by him becoming more picky and refusing to eat.
One of my cats was getting constipated eating Primal's venison, I think because the meat is so lean, not much fat; the bone percentage is only seven percent so I don't think it was due to the bone.

It resolved when I started feeding him duck, a fattier meat.

Wish we could try Northwest Naturals but he's allergic to eggs. :(