Raw Food Question,cat With Ibd, Chronic Pancreatitis And Ckd Stage 2-3

yujin lee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am considering Raw food(Alnutrin Basic Recipe) to give to my cat but I am little concerned because of very high in protein (80%). My cat is 15years old and currently has CKD stage 2-3 and SQ fluids every day. I want to try Alutrin Raw food(She won't eat alnutrin low phosphorus,protein recipe,Ez complete)
because of her IBD and chronic pancreatitis, do you think it'll be safe to use this?

Here is Alnutrin basic chicken diet Recipe nutrient profile
RecipeBasicprofile.xls

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I think this is definitely a question for your veterinarian. I would absolutely not count on any online advice regarding this question as a lot depends on your cat's specific medical history. And you're right, with an elderly cat that already has kidney diseases, that does sound like too much protein so definitely not something to be done without professional guidance.

You can read here about dietary recommendation for cats with kidney disease. Again, this can't replace medical advice, just give you some background. :)

I would also be very wary of feeding raw to an older cat with several health issues. Raw - including commercial raw - has a higher load of pathogens. It may be too much for your cat's immune system to handle, on top of everything else.

If you feel that you need a second opinion, I would contact a certified pet nutrition expert. You can find them in this directory -
Directory | ACVN
If you can't find one that's near you, I believe some of them offer email and phone consultations as well.

And for our members who were concerned with the location of this thread, we felt that since the question is about a cat with a medical problem, it belongs here. Especially since yujin lee yujin lee is not feeding raw at the moment, only considering it.