Raw Food Issue With Constipation?

Mocharuns

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, we have been feeding raw food to our cats for 10 years. Two of our cats are older now age 12 and 14. We had an issue with constipation with one of our cats a while back and switched up the ratio of bone in their food. We now started a different raw food that has 9-10% bone, which is pretty standard from my understanding. Now it seems our other cat is constipated. Has anyone had this issue?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I don't recall the specifics just now, but I've read a couple-three times in the past year that I've been here, of cats having constipation issues while on raw.
Hopefully someone can reply with more experience for you :)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, 9-10% bone is not atypical, though I wouldn't want to feed only food with that much bone, particularly to older cats whose motility may have slowed due to age.

Our two cats, who are almost six, eat a pretty mixed diet -- freeze-dried raw, homemade cooked (the supplement has eggshell instead of bone), and canned foods -- so their bone intake from the freeze-dried raw gets diluted. Raw-fed cats tend not to produce much waste, either in terms of volume or frequency, so it's hard to tell if they're constipated or not but I get the sense they're at the point where I wouldn't want to feed them any more bone!