Raw Food Feeding Amount

CurlyEmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I recently adopted a Siberian Kitten, he’s 14 weeks old. The breeder has had him on a raw diet since he was weaned. I’ve continued his raw diet, consisting primarily of rabbit with bones and chicken breast.

I was looking online for feeding amounts and it says that the average adult cat eats around 6oz per day. According to the breeder she says to feed 1/3 cup three times per day (8oz total). She’s been doing that and he’s a healthy weight. He’s 5 pounds but he’s HUGE, even though he’s 3 months he’s around the size of a small adult cat. Is it ok to continue feeding those 8 oz? He is very active and runs around all day.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I raised a kitten on a raw diet last year. She was 4 months old when I brought her home. She did eat 6-8 oz per day for a few months. I gave her 4-5 meals with more food than she could eat just to make sure she was getting all she wanted. At 6 months, I cut back to 3 meals a day, but still fed her all she wanted until she was a year old. Kittens eat a lot!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens eat a ton of food so ignore all those feeding guidelines. Just feed your kitten as much food as he wants for now regardless of his size. Kittens can eat as much as 8 oz or more of raw food a day. Somewhere around 6 months old or later, many kittens start to eat less food. When you see food going uneaten, start cutting back on the amount of food.

One of my cats was eating as much as 6 NV raw medallions (about 1 oz each) a day as a kitten. He was non-stop active. Around 6 months he started to want less food so we went to 4 medallions a day and then to 2 medallions a day plus two small snacks before bedtime.