Raw Food Diet For A 11 Month Old Cat. Good Idea?

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi everyone.
so I have this dilemma because I feed my kitty blue buffalo wet food and dry food in a treat ball. but lately she doesn't seem to want to eat the wet food anymore I tried to mix up the flavors but she will sniff if and walk away, she does it but she rans to her bowl when I put food on it so I'm guessing she's hungry but then she sniffs it and walk away. I read its good to give her different varieties and different brands but I spend hours last night looking at good ones and I don't know which ones I should get. I wanted to mix it between 3-4 brands so I was thinking blue buffalo, wellness and I don't know what else. and that's when I came across raw food diet. is it good? I read on google how it can have bacteria and that you're supposed to clean the bowl right after feeding but I can't do that in the morning because I am usually in a rush to get to work. I was looking at the primal brand of frozen raw cat food. omg I'm sorry I'm going around circles its just I have a headache from trying to figure out what to feed chloe.

what are your thoughts about raw cat food?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure you’re asking about general thoughts on raw, or specific brands.

I fed my cats and dogs raw from 2008 – 2013, then went back to processed foods from mid-2013 through 2016. I switched back to all raw last January 2017. I definitely notice better health and vibrancy with a raw diet.

In 2008, there weren’t many premixed ready-to-feed raw products, so most people made Dr. Pierson’s raw recipe from catinfo.org. Over the years, she has changed from raw to partially-cooked. The closest recipe to her raw recipe is the one at feline-nutrition.org and the one at catnutrition.org.

https://feline-nutrition.org/nutrition/making-raw-cat-food-for-do-it-yourselfers

http://www.catnutrition.org/foodmaking.html

I haven’t tried any of the over-the-counter prepared foods, so I would recommend any of them over processed foods but can’t recommend one from personal experience.

As for bacteria, I feed 3 cats 3 meals a day and have 9 saucers. They eat in 5 minutes or less, and when I'm in a rush I just stack up the used saucers in the sink until I have time to wash them.

It’s good you care so much about your cat’s health! The saying, “You are what you eat,” applies to our pets too. :purr:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure you’re asking about general thoughts on raw, or specific brands.

I fed my cats and dogs raw from 2008 – 2013, then went back to processed foods from mid-2013 through 2016. I switched back to all raw last January 2017. I definitely notice better health and vibrancy with a raw diet.

In 2008, there weren’t many premixed ready-to-feed raw products, so most people made Dr. Pierson’s raw recipe from catinfo.org. Over the years, she has changed from raw to partially-cooked. The closest recipe to her raw recipe is the one at feline-nutrition.org or catcentric.org and the one at catnutrition.org.

https://feline-nutrition.org/nutrition/making-raw-cat-food-for-do-it-yourselfers

http://www.catnutrition.org/foodmaking.html

I haven’t tried any of the over-the-counter prepared foods, so I would recommend any of them over processed foods but can’t recommend one from personal experience.

As for bacteria, I feed 3 cats 3 meals a day and have 9 saucers. They eat in 5 minutes or less, and when I'm in a rush I just stack up the used saucers in the sink until I have time to wash them.

It’s good you care so much about your cat’s health! The saying, “You are what you eat,” applies to our pets too. :purr:
sorry, I always do that I have so many questions about raw food but I start babbling about nonsense and never get my question out.

well my main concern about the raw food is the bacteria and if my cat won't get anything bad from it or us? but it says it should be wash right away and if you prepare the food to wash it with bleach and water or something like that (I have read on google) so wouldn't the bacteria start growing in the sink ? or can I just the bowl in the sink and add some dish soap with hot water and let it stand while I go to work?
and also how do I prepare it. I would have to get the ones that are already made and frozen because I won't have the time to do it myself.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're buying ready-made, all you need to do is thaw the tub in the refrigerator and spoon it onto the saucer, just like canned food. I weigh my cats' meals on a kitchen scale, just so I know exactly how much they're eating.

It's just fresh raw meat...same as we eat (unless you're vegetarian), so clean up is the same as for our food.

Most of the kibble recalls have been for salmonella, so no food is risk-free. Healthy cats and dogs don't get sick from ingesting salmonella. Recalls usually happen when a child gets into the food, or an immuno-compromised person touches the food and then their mouth. Pet food recalls are usually spurred by human infection, or by a processing factory inspection. Salmonella will pass through a cat or dog and will shed in their poop, so you want to be cautious of cleaning the cat box.

There is a higher chance of having salmonella in raw meats than in dry food, particularly chicken, but as mentioned, raw cat food has the same chicken we buy at the store. Someone else is doing to labor to grind, package, refreeze and distribute. The premium you pay is not that the ingredients are different or better. You're paying for labor, marketing, and the company's overhead costs.

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you're buying ready-made, all you need to do is thaw the tub in the refrigerator and spoon it onto the saucer, just like canned food. I weigh my cats' meals on a kitchen scale, just so I know exactly how much they're eating.

It's just fresh raw meat...same as we eat (unless you're vegetarian), so clean up is the same as for our food.

Most of the kibble recalls have been for salmonella, so no food is risk-free. Healthy cats and dogs don't get sick from ingesting salmonella. Recalls usually happen when a child gets into the food, or an immuno-compromised person touches the food and then their mouth. Pet food recalls are usually spurred by human infection, or by a processing factory inspection. Salmonella will pass through a cat or dog and will shed in their poop, so you want to be cautious of cleaning the cat box.

There is a higher chance of having salmonella in raw meats than in dry food, particularly chicken, but as mentioned, raw cat food has the same chicken we buy at the store. Someone else is doing to labor to grind, package, refreeze and distribute. The premium you pay is not that the ingredients are different or better. You're paying for labor, marketing, and the company's overhead costs.
So what you are saying is that the raw food is not that much better then the wet food ?
and if I clean my cat's litter box daily its usually around night time so its every 24hrs, doesn't it take 24hrs for the bacteria to develop in the poop for us to cause harm ? so if I feed her raw food and clean the litter box twice a day, morning and evening I am more protected of not having any bacteria grow on her poop ?

I am sorry if I'm asking stupid question I just want to make sure I am not putting my cat or us at risk.
I figured the chicken we eat is also raw before its cooked so I always clean the counter top with lysol wipes after cooking incase a piece of a chicken falls from the cutting board. so I can do the same when I prepare her food and just wash her dish as I would the cutting board or a plate the chicken was on?

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I told my boyfriend I want to put Chloe on a raw food diet and he doesn't think its a good idea. that she can get tapeworms ? is that possible ?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe that a raw diet is far superior to any processed food for a cat's health based on observation of my own pets. What I meant was that a premade, commercial raw food product is not superior to chopping up and mixing a raw cat food recipe with meats you purchase at the grocery. It's the same meat.

So, yes you clean up after a raw fed cat the same way you clean up your cutting board, counter and utensils after you cook raw meat for your family.

Poop is full of bacteria, regardless of the diet. I think cleaning the cat box once a day is fine if that's what fits best in your schedule. There aren't any special requirements with a raw diet. Just general good sense and hygiene as you would normally use.

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I believe that a raw diet is far superior to any processed food for a cat's health based on observation of my own pets. What I meant was that a premade, commercial raw food product is not superior to chopping up and mixing a raw cat food recipe with meats you purchase at the grocery. It's the same meat.

So, yes you clean up after a raw fed cat the same way you clean up your cutting board, counter and utensils after you cook raw meat for your family.

Poop is full of bacteria, regardless of the diet. I think cleaning the cat box once a day is fine if that's what fits best in your schedule. There aren't any special requirements with a raw diet. Just general good sense and hygiene as you would normally use.
Thank you so much for your help :) and your patience with me :D
I will order her some premade raw food and give it a try.

just one more question, it supposed to be frozen how long before I feed her do I put in the fridge or room temperature ?

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Most folks who feed raw feel that it's much better than commercial wet because it has not been cooked, therefore the protein chains have not been altered so drastically and are more easily digested and bioavailability is much better. Also, commercial wet foods often have other ingredients like grains and carrageenan, which are known irritants to many feline digestive systems.

As has been mentioned, tapeworms are usually contracted from fleas. There is another parasite that can be contracted through pork, but it's incredibly rare, especially in human grade inspected meats, and it can be killed simply with freezing.

As for bacteria on poop... errrm... that's a given, lol. So, um... don't touch the poop! Usually the litter itself will dessicate any surface bacteria. Wear gloves if you're overly cautious (good for pregnant ladies), and wash hands thoroughly after scooping.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No problem. Raw feeding is sort of intimidating and confusing at first. I remember having lots of questions and doing lots of research in 2008.

I never let a tub of raw food sit at room temp. My cats will eat cold food straight from the fridge. Some cats prefer it at room temp or slightly warm, but you'd want to bring up the temp only on that meal, not the entire tub.

My 3 cats eat about 14 ounces a day total. My tubs are usually packed with 16-18 ounces of food, so a tub runs a whole day and a little into one more meal the next day. I pull a tub from the freezer to the fridge 12-24 hours before I need it. Sometimes the food is a bit frosty still, and I will "chisel out" the right serving sizes and let the saucers of food finish defrosting on the counter.

Just like your own raw meat, you don't want it sitting unused in the fridge for more than 2-3 days before it's eaten.

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No problem. Raw feeding is sort of intimidating and confusing at first. I remember having lots of questions and doing lots of research in 2008.

I never let a tub of raw food sit at room temp. My cats will eat cold food straight from the fridge. Some cats prefer it at room temp or slightly warm, but you'd want to bring up the temp only on that meal, not the entire tub.

My 3 cats eat about 14 ounces a day total. My tubs are usually packed with 16-18 ounces of food, so a tub runs a whole day and a little into one more meal the next day. I pull a tub from the freezer to the fridge 12-24 hours before I need it. Sometimes the food is a bit frosty still, and I will "chisel out" the right serving sizes and let the saucers of food finish defrosting on the counter.

Just like you own raw meat, you don't want it sitting unused in the fridge for more than 2-3 days before it's eaten.
so I only have one cat and if I get a 14oz bag and I feed her I believe about 3-4 nuggets or pieces of the raw food, should I just get like a plastic container and put the pieces there and then into the fridge 24 hours before so it can dethaw, so I don't keep putting the whole bag into the fridge and freezer all the time ?

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most folks who feed raw feel that it's much better than commercial wet because it has not been cooked, therefore the protein chains have not been altered so drastically and are more easily digested and bioavailability is much better. Also, commercial wet foods often have other ingredients like grains and carrageenan, which are known irritants to many feline digestive systems.

As has been mentioned, tapeworms are usually contracted from fleas. There is another parasite that can be contracted through pork, but it's incredibly rare, especially in human grade inspected meats, and it can be killed simply with freezing.

As for bacteria on poop... errrm... that's a given, lol. So, um... don't touch the poop! Usually the litter itself will dessicate any surface bacteria. Wear gloves if you're overly cautious (good for pregnant ladies), and wash hands thoroughly after scooping.
thats why I was going crazy yesterday with looking at all the labels of the wet food and couldn't decide upon a brand that was good and I started reading about raw food, but that has confused me as well.

I clean the litter box without gloves and wash my hands everytime I clean it.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so I only have one cat and if I get a 14oz bag and I feed her I believe about 3-4 nuggets or pieces of the raw food, should I just get like a plastic container and put the pieces there and then into the fridge 24 hours before so it can dethaw, so I don't keep putting the whole bag into the fridge and freezer all the time ?
Yes. Just pull enough food out of the frozen bag for one or two days at a time, and keep the rest of the bag frozen.

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes. Just pull enough food out of the frozen bag for one or two days at a time, and keep the rest of the bag frozen.
Okay great :)
thank you so much
can't wait for her to try it.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll look forward to reading how she likes it. Be sure and keep us posted! :petcat:

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope your cat likes it, motylek motylek ! What did you order? (I'm always curious!) It sounds like maybe Primal, which we feed quite a bit of because our cats like it so much. And if your cat doesn't like it on the first try (that's fairly common), just let us know... there are all sorts of ways to entice them to eat. ;)

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got done making mine today. What I save doing it myself, I end up putting into the other two cats' food budget. The boys get raw, but the girls like their food cooked. I upgraded the ladies over the summer to canned alongside their kibble and upgraded the kibble.
Spent three hours again today telling myself "why don't I pay someone else to do this? Oh. Right. Because that'd run me another fifty bucks."
I like making mine for the guys since it's just meat and supplements. No fruits or veggies or binder: just meat cubes with B, E, taurine, lite salt, and fish oil.

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope your cat likes it, motylek motylek ! What did you order? (I'm always curious!) It sounds like maybe Primal, which we feed quite a bit of because our cats like it so much. And if your cat doesn't like it on the first try (that's fairly common), just let us know... there are all sorts of ways to entice them to eat. ;)
yes I ordered primal, I was also looking at Stella and chewy but I noticed it's not AACF approved. I got her chicken & salmon, turkey, and duck. when I first feed her should I give her half of what I feed her now and half of the raw food?