Raw feeding with a pet sitter

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. We've got three cats. I've been raw feeding for about 3 months, it's going well. Two cats really like the raw food, one is coming along more slowly, getting raw mixed with canned. We're going on a trip for a week next month and we'll be using a pet sitter we've used before, but not since going raw. Being a worrywart, I'm wondering if I should just have the sitter feed canned food or try to have her do the raw.
Does anyone have experience with having a sitter feed raw? Any suggestions?
Thanks!! [emoji]128568[/emoji]

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of raw food are you feeding? I might ask the sitter how he/she feels about the extra work it might take to feed the raw food.

It's not quite the same but FWIW, when I travel and my husband feeds our two cats, they get their usual two freeze-dried and canned meals because they're easy to deal with but don't get their daily Rad Cat meal, which would have to be defrosted and watched over more carefully.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A compromise might be to have the sitter use freeze dried raw. This is the easiest type of raw for a newbie to feed, and a lot of cats really love it too. I know it's expensive, but it's the route I'd choose. Canned is the only other option I'd feel safe using in this situation...unless, of course, the sitter has experience with raw feeding. Get the answer to that question before making a final decision ;)

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feed raw a few times when I was pet sitting. Honestly, I found it to be no big deal. As far as I'm concerned, I follow the instructions of the owners regarding feeding & meds, that's your job. BUT after working in that industry for many years, I've become very cynical about pet sitters & dog walkers etc. It's really important to know the person you use personally and have a good relationship with them. Is this a company you use or a person that you know? Can she come round one day and watch you go through a feeding? That way you know if she's comfortable with it or not. Otherwise, I agree with Columbine about the freeze dried. I know it's expensive, but it's a good compromise for while you're away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, thanks for the responses.
I'm feeding homemade raw ground, and meaty bones, chunks, and whole mice to the one cat who I call the advanced eater.
I hadn't thought of freeze dried. I'll look into it.

We've used this pet sitter before, she's OK. It's her daughter's business, and she helps out. She happens to live down the street, but I wouldn't say she's a friend. I still worry, and I figure it's best to keep things as simple as possible.
Two of the cats are not very social, they don't want anything to do with strangers. One of them she's never seen even though she's sat for us several times.
Maybe I'll have her feed raw to the indoor only cat, and canned for the shy ones, since the food might sit a while.
Thanks again for your feedback! [emoji]128570[/emoji]