Raw Feeding Kittens

babydinocats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've recently added two kittens into our household.. Four month old Jupiter is a long, lanky kitten with huge paws and is on the thin side- all of this very much like the siamese/oriental shorthair kittens I grew up with. She's full of energy and is incredibly athletic, affectionate, and intelligent. The vet says her weight is fine, but she's on the small side and she could stand to put on more fat. Zelda, at three months, is the complete opposite in body type- as she is very short and round with teeny tiny paws. It's a lot easier to tell if Zelda is a proper weight or not.

Since I already feed my adult female, Sipr, commercial raw (Stella & Chewy's frozen and Rad Cat), I started the babies on the same diet immediately. All three cats are fed three times a day, with the kittens receiving large portions that they inhale within seconds...
Of course I have read that kittens should be able to eat as much as they can, but it is rather difficult to keep up on the amount of food I have to keep stocked up for these guys. They never seem to be satisfied- they think they're getting food every time we're in the kitchen and they won't leave us alone with our own food. Free feeding doesn't seem to be the answer unless I keep freeze dried on hand and serve it without adding water. I would have to keep my adult cat out of it in that case. So, as an alternative, I started adding chunks of raw chicken to their usual portion of commercial raw. This slows them down considerably, adds a good jaw workout, and inevitably adds the necessary extra calories.

My main question is that if I supplement them with this raw muscle meat, is it fine to leave it at that? or do the extra tidbits need to make the same 80/10/10 breakdown that the complete commercial raw food does? I welcome your insight on this and any further thoughts on the above.

Attachments

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In general it's usually okay to give around 10% unbalanced meat per week, but with kittens, because they are growing rapidly, I wouldn't do this. You might look at making your own raw with a proper pre-mix like alnutrin or EZcomplete, it would be cheaper than feeding commercial raw foods. I fed 7 kittens a combo of Rad Cat and EZcomplete.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Missmimz. The kittens need all the food they can eat, and it needs to be balanced. Chicken muscle-only doesn't have the calcium that they need for bone growth, plus they need a little bit of liver for Vit A and other vitamins.

Catinfo.org and feline-nutrition.org have good home made recipes, or you can use a commercial premix supplement which would round out boneless meat.

A less expensive option to Rad Cat is Hare Today...but you do still need to rebalance HT's ground meats/bones/organs, and add supplements.

Congrats on the new kittens. They're precious! :catrub: They do eat a lot though, don't they? I just raised my new kitten on raw and fostered a baby abandoned kitten from 5-weeks to 8.5 weeks old. The baby ate 20% of his body weight some days! :jawdrop:

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you want to stick with commercial pre-made, Vital Essentials and Small Batch are two other options less expensive than Rad Cat. Small Batch has some veggies and Vital Essentials has goat milk, but I'm ok with the small compromise on ingredients for convenience and price.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babydinocats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your input! I had a feeling this would be the case. Baby kitty appetites are so hard to keep up with!

I would love to do homemade raw (have done so in the past), and I have contemplated many times on ordering from Hare Today, but I really lack the freezer space. Yet after dwelling on the idea several times, I typically come to the conclusion that spending more on commercial frozen raw is worth the time and space saved.... until a kitten eating 20% (dang!) its body weight enters the scenario, of course :jawdrop:

Adding the mix to chunks of meat seems like a good middle ground between the two. I have used pre-mix (TCfeline) in the past, but it didn't occur to me that I could add it to chunks of meat rather than just ground. I went ahead and ordered EZComplete. How do you guys feel about mixing up meat sources? I usually go for meat sources that would be more natural to what a cat would hunt on its own, but maybe I'm (or rather my cats) missing out.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mix beef, pork, chicken...usually chicken/beef or chicken/pork, and not all three together.

That is "Frankenprey" diet - trying to recreate a prey animal out of several different animals. The bone in my mixes is always chicken, because I don't have a grinder and chicken bones are the only ones I can smash up by hand. I always add chicken hearts and gizzards. Liver - usually chicken, but rotate with beef. I usually have pork kidney, but for the "other organ" component, I rotate kidney and beef sweetbreads. Then the 80% boneless meat is rotated between chicken, pork, beef.

Anyway, my mixes usually contain 2 types of proteins, but the 80% boneless portion is more than 50% of any final mix. The cats also get quite a few turkey mixes around the holidays when it's on sale.

It's debatable, of course, if you want to mix proteins. "Whole-prey model" purists don't mix two proteins in one batch.