Raw Feeding Ammounts? Please Help!

maxtucker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two kittens. One is 7 months old and the other is just over 2 months. I got the 7 month old kitten when he was 2 months old and I started him on a raw diet. I read a lot of the subject but was never able to figure out the exact amount to feed a kitten.

My solution was to look at a pack of wet canned food for feeding amounts and base how much I fed my kitten off of that. I started like so

2-3 months = 90grams per day
3-4 months = 100 grams per day
4-5 months = 120 grams per day
5-7 months = 150 grams per day

I feed him a mix of chicken, beef, rabbit, game birds. I generally mix in about 10% liver and hearts.

My kitten looks healthy but I am not sure if I am feeding him the right amounts. It is hard to find any info on amounts of raw food to feed kittens.... please help?

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I know usually growing animals eat more than adults, but not sure how much a kitten should eat. I would pretty much give him as much as he wants to eat several times a day, if he gets fat cut back, I don't weigh anything anymore, just go off how my cat looks but she eats 5-7 ounces a day, same as she does canned.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a TCS thread that should help you out, MaxTucker: Natural Diet Information Resources.

If you'll note, heart is considered part of the meat - not organ - percentage. Liver alone should be about 5% of the diet; likewise, the total of all other secreting organ(s) should also be about 5% of the diet.

Bone should be about 10%. The remaining 80% is meat, skin, tendons and sinew.

Multiply however much your kittens weigh in ounces by 4% - that's the minimum amount of food you should be feeding them every day. Most folks recommend twice the adults (2% - 4%) percentages, but I lean more towards letting the kittens tell you. Keep increasing the amounts you're feeding until either they begin to gain weight or they begin leaving food on their plates, then cut back a bit.

Feed no less than three times a day, preferably four.

Hope this helps!

AC