Raw feed meets

scuns68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sure it is posted somewhere but wasn't able to find it yet. I want to switch all my cats and fosters to raw diet and would like to know what type of meets/parts are safe to feed. I already learned about the transition. Any help and input would be appreciated, thanks.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any meat, any organ is safe to feed. Bones should be small. Think ... mice. So quail bones, chicken wings (only the two smaller pieces of wing at first), rabbit ribs....

Of course, if you're feeding whole prey model raw, meat, bones and organs need to be fed in correct proportions. It's important to have at least three protein sources (meats) in the mix, more is better. Each animal will have a different nutritional profile, and each part of each animal will have a different nutritional profile, so it's important to feed different parts (for instance chicken thigh as well as chicken breast, etc.).

Hearts and gizzards are treated as muscle meat, not organs, because when calculating organ percentages, it's for secreting organs (liver, kidney, pancreas, spleen, brain...).

Hearts are a great meal, packed with taurine.

It's also important when feeding prey model raw to include raw egg yolk once or twice a week (for the choline) and some type of fish oil (a named fish oil typically means higher quality; salmon or krill is best) or at a minimum some canned sardines (in water with no salt). These are important for both the omega 3s and the vitamin D.

You've read through the links in the resource thread? http://www.thecatsite.com/t/240809/raw-feeding-resource-thread

Of course, feel free to ask any further questions! :D