Raw diet safe for a cat on steroids?

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lucy needed a steroid shot for her stomatitis.  And, as you may know, steroids can suppress the immune system.  I did read over a recent thread on feeding raw to an immune compromised cat.  I noticed that the safest way to go may be the pathogen free foods (Stella and Chewy's, NV and Primal.)

We have used some NV  and Lucy gets a snack of Stella and Chewy's every day.  BUT she does eat Hare Today every morning for breakfast, and I know that is not guaranteed pathogen free like the others.

I'll be honest, we have a nice routine worked out with the Hare Today....and I hate to mess with that.  (The four cats share an 8 oz package each morning.)  I know it sounds selfish, but it would be pretty inconvenient to feed Lucy a separate breakfast.  I'm already fixing her a separate dinner.  (The other cats eat grain free canned for dinner and she gets raw, NV for now but I just ordered some Rad Cat from a local store.  I really prefer the ingredients in the Rad Cat and I think she will love it.  Can't really afford to get it for all the cats, though.)

Anyways, do you think I'm being irresponsible by not going through the trouble to feed her the pathogen free?  It's not just the trouble involved....I think the ingredients in the others are superior too.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think it will be an issue. In fact - I think raw is the best diet for her stomatitis. :nod:

I started Lazlo on raw when he was on steroids during chemotherapy, and we didn't have any issues. And chemo majorly impacts their immune systems. He's still on steroids - 5mg of prednisone daily. This is an anti-inflammatory dose, not an immune-suppressive dose. So part of the issue with steroids is not just that they're taking them, but the dose involved. But I did start him on probiotics - and I keep all the cats on probiotics - to ensure they've got good gut flora, which should help if there are any issues with the non-sterile meat.

:hugs: for you and :vibes for your Lucy!