Raw Diet: How Much Water, Vit E And Multiglandular Supplement?

david23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've started making raw food using bone-in chicken thighs and am using the recipes on the (excellent) sites listed below.

There is some variation between these sites re water, vit E and multiglandular supplement.

For 2.6 kg meat, one site recommends 2 cups water, another recommends 1 cup.
For the same amount of meat, one site recommends 800 IU vit E, another much less.
One site recommends using multiglandular supplement, another not.

Just wondering what your thoughts are? Thanks..

Feline Nutrition Foundation
Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition
Home

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I averaged the differences in the supplements, or just treated them like "minimum" and "maximum" and round to the nearest capsule for convenience.

Also, I don't add any water. I make mixes in chunks, not ground, and the supplements don't "stick" to the chunks with that much water. My kitten was leaving a puddle of supplement-slurry on her saucer and it was just getting washed down the sink. I do make a separate lower calorie mix for my senior and he really likes "soup" so his mixes do have water added.

Bottom line: The water is optional. I think some makes the meat easier to grind. You can add more or not add any water if your cats have a preference for drier or soupier food.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mix is ground and chunked and it's 1 cup of water to 3 lbs of meat. it's 75% ground and 25% chunk.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats like a thick mixture, so I don't even measure the amount of water. I just use maybe a half cup of water to 5 lbs meat to dissolve the supplements in and mix into the ground meat. If it's too dry and hard to mix, I add more water.

For Vitamin E, I decided to stick to one recipe for consistency. I don't use multiglandular supplement. I just make sure my mixes have 5% liver and 5% kidney/other nonliver organ.