Raw diet for my kitten

duncan'smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since I got my kitten Duncan (now 7 months old), I have been closely looking at the ingredients in commercial cat food. He seems content to eat anything you put in front of him and constantly begs for table scraps, but we never give in. I have been looking at transitioning him to a raw diet. I have found a lot of good information about it, but every website you look at has different information. Is there one site that has everything I need to know? Or do YOU know everything I need to know? I want my kitty to have the best of everything.

It seems easier to use a raw diet supplement than to try to find all the different vitamins they need. Are these as good as they seem?

I'm not the typical broke college student (my fiancee has retirement benefits from the Army), so I can afford spending a bit of money, but I don't want to go broke feeding him! How expensive is a raw diet compared to a diet of kitten food and canned food (we feed him about half a can a day)?

Duncan tends to have very stinky bowel movements. We use Arm & Hammer litter, which does an amazing job at covering this up, but for the first few minutes after he goes, it is AWFUL! He doesn't have diarrhea or anything, just smell. This must be a sign of something. Is this vet-visit worthy (very expensive...), or does it just merit a change in diet? Does raw diet help with digestive issues?

Please help me. I feel a bit lost. But I really want what is best for him, and I doubt "meat by-products" are in his best interest.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have a pm'

As for cost ... when I had one cat and one dog who ate 75-90% raw it ran me about 15 $ a week ( ie what a solid canned food then cost)... Now the same diet for 5 cats ( plus 3 foster s so 8 total ) and one small dog would be about 8-12 $ a DAY...

I do not get my raw meat at the reg grocery or walmart type stores... it comes from the local ranchers and butchers

What are you currently feeding?

DO you have a raw willing to help vet? To ME this is the Most important thing as many on here do not tell the vet they feed raw and that can cause a misdiagnosis or complicate treatment ... the vet help could be as little as a 5 minute talk once a year if you have no issues..

Raw is a good choice for some ( I have done it with great and not so great results).. just like humans Cats are not One diet fits all or even most

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duncan'smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have not talked to my vet since I began looking into raw food. I've only had Duncan for a little over a month. I don't know if I can talk to him about a raw diet without being charged for a vet visit (which can be quite costly, as you surely know). I would probably get the better meat at a supermarket, similar to the quality I would eat myself. So it might be a bit less expensive than what you paid.

I am currently feeding him purina kitten food. It's the only kitten food other than walmart brand I can find. There isn't a pet store in the town I live in. It would be an hour drive to get to the nearest one. I also give him a couple spoonfuls of Friskie's wet food every day. He has constant access to dry food. He usually eats about a quarter of cup of that a day.

I will definitely let my vet know if I have any problems, and probably will end up consulting him before I make the change over to raw food for good. I have given Duncan a treat of a few raw chunks of chicken in place of his wet food and he seemed to love it and digested it just fine.

Do you know anything about supplements or do you buy the vitamins they need separately and add them on your own?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I recommend supplements .. as does my vet who is a rare one with an Actual Nutrition degree ( many claim to be experts but when asked do not have the extra two yrs of schooling in nutrition) ...

If you only have a walmart or grocery ... purina naturals is likely the best dry you can get ( no by products , artificial colors or flavors )

Do you live in an area with lots of horses and cows?> if so check out the store that sell s food for them ... often the have VERY good foods at reasonable prices

Rough idea

Bone ( some use chicken wings or I find thieghs work well for mine)....

Organs here 1.50-2.50 a lb ( a lb would be about a months worth for a 8-12 lb cat adult)

Meat here 2-4 $ a lb ... would need roughly 2lbs a week

so

depending on your area ...if prices are simliar
'
1.5 lbs of meat at 3$ a lb ... 4.50 a week

bone 79 cents to 2 $ a lb ... 1 $ a week

so roughly 7$ a week plus supplement s which depend on many factors ( I spend roughly 20$ a month

Most vets do not charge to answer a few ??s via phone... for me even a exam is only 35$ and so I would go in and talk...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there!

There are definitely some websites you can go, and also there are quite a few people here that can help you with the raw diet too... But I agree with Sharky, this should be done with the guidance of a vet who has the knowledge of raw feeding. At least the fist time.
As far as being worth it, yes, it is worth it, IMO. The consequences of an improper balanced raw diet come long term, and are often irreversible, so you don't want to mess around with that...
It is not an expensive diet at all, even a commercial raw, can be very affordable... I buy 2lbs chub of commercial raw turkey for roughly $5.50-6... and that is completely balanced, good brand too (Bravo!)... 2lbs is quite a bit too... probably a week's worth (this is a complete guesstimate here...)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Hi there!

There are definitely some websites you can go, and also there are quite a few people here that can help you with the raw diet too... But I agree with Sharky, this should be done with the guidance of a vet who has the knowledge of raw feeding. At least the fist time.
As far as being worth it, yes, it is worth it, IMO. The consequences of an improper balanced raw diet come long term, and are often irreversible, so you don't want to mess around with that...
It is not an expensive diet at all, even a commercial raw, can be very affordable... I buy 2lbs chub of commercial raw turkey for roughly $5.50-6... and that is completely balanced, good brand too (Bravo!)... 2lbs is quite a bit too... probably a couple of weeks worth (this is a complete guesstimate here...)
An all raw feed cat of 8-12 lb will ave 4-5 oz a day ... or about 2lbs a week...

a kitten could still eat up to double the adult ave lb for lb

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

An all raw feed cat of 8-12 lb will ave 4-5 oz a day ... or about 2lbs a week...

a kitten could still eat up to double the adult ave lb for lb

She probably can not find Bravo! where she is though... After reading her post... It would be a good choice for her, as a starter...

duncan'smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have done some research and the one question that even the most specific raw food sites can't seem to answer is how much I should feed him. He is 7 months old and about six and a half pounds. I know kittens have different nutritional needs than adult cats (hence kitten food). The supplement sites have a recipe, but they don't specify for kittens. Do you have an idea how much raw food I should feed him a day?

I think I'll call my vet in the morning and ask if he is knowledgeable or supportive of a raw diet for a kitten. I hope so because I really liked him the last time. I could pay for a visit if he can really help me figure out what to feed him, but I'm not paying to find out he doesn't know much about it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If your vet cant help ask him for a referral to a feline nutritionist( very very few ) or a holistic vet ( many of these around) ....

I have a basic sheet from Primal a pre made raw food company... it says 2.5% for wt maintence for an adult.. for a kitten up to a year 4% ( this is a food with meat organs bone and supplements ( i also think some veg matter which IMHO is great if they will eat it)

so a say 7 lb kitten at 4% would get roughly 4.48 oz a day ... or the same as a 12lb adult at 2.5%

duncan'smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saw the bravo stuff, checked out the website. It would be a LONG drive to get any or a $13 shipping charge on top of whatever I paid for the actual food. I would rather do the work myself, really. Plus, I still an mot so trusting. I want to be the one feeding my cat. It just makes me feel better about it. I'm actually kind of surprised at how much I want to feed him raw considering I grew up with cats and we always fed them the cheap stuff. None of them lived long, but they were outdoor cats, so most of their deaths stemmed from this. Duncan is constantly indoors and pretty much my baby. I just want him to be healthy for as long as possible.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duncan'sMom

I saw the bravo stuff, checked out the website. It would be a LONG drive to get any or a $13 shipping charge on top of whatever I paid for the actual food. I would rather do the work myself, really. Plus, I still an mot so trusting. I want to be the one feeding my cat. It just makes me feel better about it. I'm actually kind of surprised at how much I want to feed him raw considering I grew up with cats and we always fed them the cheap stuff. None of them lived long, but they were outdoor cats, so most of their deaths stemmed from this. Duncan is constantly indoors and pretty much my baby. I just want him to be healthy for as long as possible.
I am sorry... The link I gave you was to calculate the amount of food... not to get the food... I guess I didn't get that too clear...
It is simply a calculator... You put the kitty's weight, and there is a table that will give you the correct percentage... And how much food to feed per meal, per day and per week... That is what you asked? How much to feed? That link is a calculator.
I totally understand about you being the one feeding your cat - when it comes to raw though, you need to know what you are doing... Otherwise there can be consequences... That's all... IMO seeing a vet is important, and if a vet is not available a commercial raw diet can be helpful. Certainly Bravo is a good brand... But that is My opinion only...
I do have it in my freezer, but I am not feeding my kitty until I can visit a holistic vet about it - even being a completely balanced diet... That' is how important I think a visit to the vet is

The only problem is that most vets don't know about raw diets, and if they know, they don't agree with it... A lot of vets still believe that the best diet is a complete dry diet, which we know today not to be true... So That's a big problem... I hope you have a better luck than most...

duncan'smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I understood you just wanted to show me the calculator. Thank you. That was very helpful. That food does look interesting, but there is no way I could get it.

I also agree that it is important to know everything about feeding a cat raw. That is what I'm trying to do. I really want to do my research and get this right, otherwise I'd end up worse than the commercial foods. Given that there is no pet store in my area, I'm hoping there is a vet around here that can help me. My vet was great, so I hope he is willing to help.

My plan is to use chicken thighs with the skin, but not the bones, and chicken livers. I would chop those into chunks (maybe grind, but Duncan seemed to like the chunks I gave him), then maybe add some ground vegetables and supplement powder. I know he might not eat the veggies, but I was going to try just for a little extra fiber. I have found a recipe for the portions and I can ask my vet for more specifics, but does that sound right?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duncan'sMom

I understood you just wanted to show me the calculator. Thank you. That was very helpful. That food does look interesting, but there is no way I could get it.

I also agree that it is important to know everything about feeding a cat raw. That is what I'm trying to do. I really want to do my research and get this right, otherwise I'd end up worse than the commercial foods. Given that there is no pet store in my area, I'm hoping there is a vet around here that can help me. My vet was great, so I hope he is willing to help.

My plan is to use chicken thighs with the skin, but not the bones, and chicken livers. I would chop those into chunks (maybe grind, but Duncan seemed to like the chunks I gave him), then maybe add some ground vegetables and supplement powder. I know he might not eat the veggies, but I was going to try just for a little extra fiber. I have found a recipe for the portions and I can ask my vet for more specifics, but does that sound right?
Your kitty doesn't really need the vegetables...
Different meats are good as well, not only chicken.
Bones are good, as long as they are RAW - just don't cook them....

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Your kitty doesn't really need the vegetables...
Different meats are good as well, not only chicken.
Bones are good, as long as they are RAW - just don't cook them....
Just a FYI a Mouse organ contents have 3-5% veggie matter , as does a Bird and a rabbit... Veggies in most raw foods are Blanched to aid in digestion as in the animals eaten they are "pre" digested .. If you cant blanch them try freeze dried with soaking in cold to warm water ... I will say I have only one cat who will touch a vegetable...

I will again shout out RAW bones not cooked ...

Personally I used to cut up the meat but one day let them have the bone in raw meat and all liked it much better...

Rotating meats is good..

IMHO in your situation : start with a talk with the vet , see if you can find a better quality dry food or increase the wet and use the raw for treats for now..

I would start with the livers but use them sparingly as in a complete raw diet liver is to make up no More than 5-10% the later only if no other organs are available

faybio

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Plenty of great info here regarding the raw diet, and I have nothing to add.

I haven't noticed anyone address the stinky stool. Kitten stool can certainly be foul, but I got the impression that you meant fouler than what you considered normal. I just wanted to post that yes, this could be a sign of something. It was in my kitten.

Zeuss had incredibly foul stool at the age of 3-4 months, but was otherwise healthy. When I discussed this with his vet, she was reassuring that it meant nothing, but ran a battery of tests on his stool sample. Zeuss tested positive for giardia, a parasite. (Rather than me type up what giardia is, here is a link.) The foul stool was the only symptom, so don't forget to mention it to your vet. Err on the side of caution. I was not only able to treat Zeuss immediately for his infection; I also notified his litter mates and their homes which total a cat population of about 8. All of those cats were treated also as a precaution.

Your cat is probably fine, but I couldn't not share my experience w/ Zeuss after reading your post. Good luck!