Raw diet for cat with CKD. Any ideas?

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You should definitely redo urinalysis and ask them about calculating UPCR. Not all cats with CKD have proteinuria but it can definitely mean something. It’s a great diagnostic tool. I hope everything will go as smoothly as it can. In our country no one seems to feed cats raw too, so I’m struggling with that as well. Vets also don’t have enough information to rely on and that seems to be as challenging to them as it is to us. I’d say it’s better to monitor V’s values and see how it goes. But additional testing is important. Redo her blood tests and be sure ALL kidney values are included. As well as with urinalysis. I hope it will help
I took Valentine to cat only clinic to redo blood and urine tests, and the results came back all good except for a slightly elevated cholesterol level. CREA 1.8 (reference range 0.8-2.1), BUN 31 (15-33), SDMA 9 (0-14), Phos 4.3 (2.8-6.9), USG 1.046, UPC <0.2, PH7.
Ultrasound didn't find any abnormality. I asked the vet why her CREA dropped and she thinks V might have been dehydrated before. As for PH7, she said there was nothing to worry about as long as no crystal was found. I will remove more skin from chickens going forward to lower cholesterol.
If it weren't for this thread, I would have never found out about SDMA testing, so thank you. I hope everything goes well for Tiger ♥

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took Valentine to cat only clinic to redo blood and urine tests, and the results came back all good except for a slightly elevated cholesterol level. CREA 1.8 (reference range 0.8-2.1), BUN 31 (15-33), SDMA 9 (0-14), Phos 4.3 (2.8-6.9), USG 1.046, UPC <0.2, PH7.
Ultrasound didn't find any abnormality. I asked the vet why her CREA dropped and she thinks V might have been dehydrated before. As for PH7, she said there was nothing to worry about as long as no crystal was found. I will remove more skin from chickens going forward to lower cholesterol.
If it weren't for this thread, I would have never found out about SDMA testing, so thank you. I hope everything goes well for Tiger ♥
I’m glad to hear that! For me, I always remove skin when cooking for my cats so it’s really a good idea. And thank you for your kind words :hearthrob:

• Love
Reactions: F+V

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Best of wishes to you and your kitty. Everything I would have suggested has already been. There is a thread for just raw feeding

Last edited: