RAW chicken

Papaganu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all!
This is my 3rd post and I am loving it here, I didn't expect to get so much help!
I just wanna quickly talk about how I feed peachy;
PXL_20201027_022344262.NIGHT.jpg

First she doesn't like any kind of wet food...she never finish and I cant keep storing half finished small cans of wet food. Paté she lick it thats it ( even if I mashed it with fork )
But the only thing she can finish in less than 30sec is chicken breat cut into pieces! She knows as soon as she hears the scissors cutting her breast she runs and wait.
Also when I am not home I cant leave chicken so I put her regular CARE+ Dry food...
Of course she gets her blueberry chicken treats or chicken cream/soup she is just into chicken... so what you guys think?
Please don't tell me to cook her special recipe of ground meat and other nutrients I unfortunately have less time to cook even for me :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What country do you live in? That way we know what products to recommend.

What percentage of her diet do you think is dry food vs plain chicken? If plain chicken is a big percentage of her diet, she will need an extra supplement. You won't need to cook it or anything :). But she needs calcium and some other vitamins.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be very careful with feeding raw meat. The food we buy in stores is treated under the assumption that it will be cooked and all pathogen killed. I would feed her a frozen raw food like Stella and Chewys or Nature' Variety Raw. These products are pascalized and frozen immediately, reducing the chances of pathogen contamination.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meat alone is not complete. You will have to add other ingredients, whether you buy your own supplements or some premix. If you feed only chicken breast, your cat will develop nutritional deficiencies. Most notably, meat is lacking in calcium needed for healthy teeth and healthy bones. It may not happen overnight. But your cat will have weak teeth and weak bones on a meat only diet. Here's more information and a recipe if you're going to buy your own supplements. This really isn't that hard. You can make bulk batches once a month or even less frequently depending on how large a batch you make.

StackPath

And another page with recipes. Use a recipe. Don't freestyle or feed only meat.
Recipes

Now, having said that, depending on which country you live in, there are premixes that make this a lot easier. Rather than buying and mixing your own supplements, you can add a scoop or a packet of powder that has everything pre-measured and balanced. EZ Complete will be the easiest because it already provides liver. You can also mix it as small as a meal or larger batches by the lbs.

EZComplete Premix Information

Now one more pivot. Most cats can't and won't finish a can of food. Even the small cans. That doesn't mean your cat is picky or defective. A half can of pate food at a meal sounds about right. Store the other half. When you serve it again, spoon the food into a plastic baggie first and warm that up under warm water. I promise your cat will find that more appealing than refrigerated leftovers. Even with a raw fed cat, it's a good idea to keep some amount of wet food in their diet to weather out any supply and production issues, e.g. forgetting to make a new batch, getting a batch wrong (it happens sometimes), or running out of/not being able to replace ingredients quickly.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'm so happy that you like TCS! That makes me so glad :)
Agreeing with everyone else, I think raw chicken isn't nutritional enough by itself. The people above me gavr some great reccomendations for you to check out!

P.S. You gain the access to edit for 120 minutes after you post when you've been on TCD for at least 5 days and have posted/replied 20 times.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Papaganu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Alright so I am from Montreal-Canada.
Lets say she eats a whole breast for 2 days plus a bowl of CARE+ dey food...if the breast is not enough I thought those supplements that are needed will come fr dry food no?
You are offering recipes but honestly man I dont even cook for my self...if she liked wet food it would have been less complicated for me...I know some people who feed their cats only dry food...so the chicken breast is not her main food but more like her light weight dinner her main bowl is dry food I leave in morning before work.

So a bowl of dry CARE+ I buy from pet shop its her maim supplements
Then when I come back home I cut her chicken breast.

So now you saying I can just buy some calcium and other supplements and add them to her meat? I cam do that no problem I will go this week end to a special pet shop that sells supplements in powder.

I can do anything that wont take much time I already give her all my attention after work until I sleep just enough time for work/studies and 🍑 peach.
I dont cook. I use my kitchen for 2 things cut her meat and make my coffe lol most of time I eat outside...waste of money but I dont have time nor patience for cooking and I am single

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately what you feed as dry is not enough to balance out the imbalance the chicken breast is causing. Foods and treats that are not nutritionally complete should not make up any more than 10% of her daily calories. If you can get that EZ Complete premix I linked to you, that would be your easiest. You would also want to get a kitchen scale (these run about $7 - $10 on Amazon and eBay.) You'll need to know how much chicken breast you are cutting up to know how much powder to add to it.

If you go the homemade route, it's not as hard as you are imagining it. You can get a food processor, an electric grinder, or even a manual grinder (though these obviously take more effort.) You'll cut your meat off the bones, freeze the meat about halfway. Then grind the frozen meat. That's how you get good ground meat vs. pink slime. If you've ever tried to process or grind room temp meat, you'll know what I mean here. Once you have your bowl of ground meat, you add your powder premix or your store bought supplements in the prescribed amounts according to your recipe. Then the easiest is to portion a day's worth of meals into plastic baggies or Mason jars. Plastic baggies are easier, especially if you press them flat before freezing, because you can more easily defrost them under warm water if you forgot to take them out of the freezer the night before.

Alnutrin and TC Feline are other pre-made powder mixes. EZ Complete is easier because the other two require you to add liver. Chicken liver isn't hard to source. But many don't like working with it. It's a texture thing.

Please! For the health of your cat. Do not freestyle this! Either use a premade powder or follow a recipe. Don't just assume a pet store vitamin will fix an incomplete diet.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of different wet food brands and products. Keep trying to find one she likes. I'd rather you feed her Friskies or Fancy Feast that's nutritionally balanced than meat alone which isn't.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pet stores don't sell pre-mixes that turn plain meat into a complete diet. Regular vitamin supplements are not enough.

TC Feline is available in Canada. Here's the web site to buy it from: Welcome to Three Gables Farm - my cat food store and more! The main product web site is Home The recipe to use with cooked meat is Cooked Meat

Is Weruva or Soulistic or Applaws available in Canada? These brands of foods have shredded chicken. Applaws is not a complete diet, though.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello all!
This is my 3rd post and I am loving it here, I didn't expect to get so much help!
I just wanna quickly talk about how I feed peachy;
View attachment 362233

First she doesn't like any kind of wet food...she never finish and I cant keep storing half finished small cans of wet food. Paté she like it thats it ( even if I mashed it with fork )
But the only thing she can finish in less than 30sec is chicken breat cut into pieces! She knows as soon as she hears the scissors cutting her breast she runs and wait.
Also when I am not home I cant leave chicken so I put her regular CARE+ Dry food...
Of course she gets her blueberry chicken treats or chicken cream/soup she is just into chicken... so what you guys think?
Please don't tell me to cook her special recipe of ground meat and other nutrients I unfortunately have less time to cook even for me :(
I wonder if you have something similar to ez complete in the us. I have been mixing it with ground meat that way she gets all the nutrients needed

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if you have something similar to ez complete in the us. I have been mixing it with ground meat that way she gets all the nutrients needed
EZ Complete would be worth the import cost for the convenience. Buy a kitchen scale off Amazon. EZ Complete will let you balance and complete as small as a single serving. So the only thing you’ll need to do is cut the chicken breast to the correct weight for a measure of powder, make a gravy with the powder, and water, mix the meat with the gravy. That’s it! But if you wanted to make big batches, you can use EZ Complete for that too. Most (all?) of the other powders require the addition of liver with the meat and the powder. Chicken liver isn’t hard to find. But a lot of people don’t like working with it. It’s kinda slimy.

So yeah. Given everything you’ve said about yourself and how much effort you want to put into this, EZ Complete is what you’re looking for.

And keep looking for a wet food she likes. It’s important to have a backup food for those “stuff happens” moments like you ran out of powder and there’s unexpected shipping delays getting a new pouch.🤦🏼‍♂️

Papaganu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omg so I have been feeding her so wrong...only chicken breasts and dry food...thank god I found this forum but here in canada things are different now I have no idea what to do...EZ complete is a solution I can mix with breast? The website doesnt look like they ship to canada..ill just go to pet shop they have this homemade raw food mixed with all kind of meats and bones maybe its easier for me...if only she likes wet food like any normal cat xd

Papaganu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
But there is only one food shop that sells homemade raw meat for cats its really far and U have no car :( let me see if I can order raw meat for cars online? Not sure...these last 2 days she been eating dry food only.. I didn't have time to go buy her chicken T_T I am a bad owner

Papaganu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can t order from EZ they dont have an online store only stores in US :(

Papaganu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pet stores don't sell pre-mixes that turn plain meat into a complete diet. Regular vitamin supplements are not enough.

TC Feline is available in Canada. Here's the web site to buy it from: Welcome to Three Gables Farm - my cat food store and more! The main product web site is Home The recipe to use with cooked meat is Cooked Meat

Is Weruva or Soulistic or Applaws available in Canada? These brands of foods have shredded chicken. Applaws is not a complete diet, though.
Thank you so much!! I WILL order this for peach next paycheck! Its expensive but it last 200days++ definitely buying this for her! The minimum I can do...for now I am trying other wet food she start them cause she us hungry but never finish her small small portion she just doesnt like wet food...for now ill keep her raw breast and dry food until I get the FelinePremix powder I can put top of her chicken and liver

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume you mean food for life? That's the only place that has it. I should have mentioned that. Sorry

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It might be worth checking out the websites of independent pet stores nearby- they’re more likely to carry raw, and many are doing same-day delivery within a city because of COVID. Shipping raw is tricky because of needing to keep it cold, but delivery from a pet store in your city to your freezer means much less risk of it going bad.

Papaganu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yessss
I actually found this
Bailey Blu Pet Boutique | Home
raw food they even offer delivery ! For 70$ minimum
I guess I am gonna go for that 70$ of raw food and ill just store it in freezer.
please share website for fellow canadians of Montreal its a healthy cat shop!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yessss
I actually found this
Bailey Blu Pet Boutique | Home
raw food they even offer delivery ! For 70$ minimum
I guess I am gonna go for that 70$ of raw food and ill just store it in freezer.
please share website for fellow canadians of Montreal its a healthy cat shop!
You should find out if they are aafco balanced or NRC balanced. Ratio diets are not completely balanced :)