Raw Brand

GuyandCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello I was looking into a Raw diet for my kitten. My Sister feeds her dog a Commercial Raw from M.O.B Raw. She contacted them and they said their formula would be good for cats and that they add taurine.

The website states food has

- 40% Chicken

- 20% Offal, Green Tripe, Heart, Liver, Kidney (Beef)

- 20% Fish
- 15% Red Meat and Bone (Beef)

- 5% Cooked Eggs

Dry matter feed analysis shows 48% protein, 33% fat and 6% ash. The ingredients are fine ground and mixed together then frozen.

Does this seem acceptable as a Raw diet for My Cat.. My GUY

Thank you

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
What’s the bone content? May be too high for a cat; 15% meat and bone isn’t specific enough. I’d really advise against feeding a cat 20% fish, as well. Especially when it’s unnamed fish.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GuyandCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What’s the bone content? May be too high for a cat; 15% meat and bone isn’t specific enough. I’d really advise against feeding a cat 20% fish, as well. Especially when it’s unnamed fish.
Thank you so much I will email them. But yes not named fish caught my eye.. Looking at site again yes the meat and bone isn't specific. Darn I got so much to learn. Thank you for your timely response. I really appreciate it

GuyandCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there any Raw food websites that will actually give me the breakdown I need for my Kitten.. The other ones I looked at even say 10% ground bone. Is 10% acceptable.. Thanks

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
10% is generally fine, but some cats get constipated and may do better on 6-8%. That said, for kittens that are actively growing, 10-15% may suit, as they need the calcium and phosphorous — long as they don’t get tummy trouble.

GuyandCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
10% is generally fine, but some cats get constipated and may do better on 6-8%. That said, for kittens that are actively growing, 10-15% may suit, as they need the calcium and phosphorous — long as they don’t get tummy trouble.
Thank you.. I will keep researching.. Really would like to do a Raw but the Canned Wellness will have to do for now... :)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, we need to keep our cats at a lower bone content because of constipation. Primal pork is fairly low, I think around 8%. (I haven't checked in some time but probably should since these things can change suddenly!)

I'd also avoid feeding that much fish regularly. (I can't feed fish anyway because of that same cat's asthma, but even when I could still feed it, I wouldn't want to feed that much daily, even for only one part of the cats' diet.)

GuyandCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, we need to keep our cats at a lower bone content because of constipation. Primal pork is fairly low, I think around 8%. (I haven't checked in some time but probably should since these things can change suddenly!)

I'd also avoid feeding that much fish regularly. (I can't feed fish anyway because of that same cat's asthma, but even when I could still feed it, I wouldn't want to feed that much daily, even for only one part of the cats' diet.)
Ok ty. Ill have to keep looking

GuyandCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I am so confused. This is Bold by nature
Protein (Min.)17.9%
Fat (Min.)12.8%
and M.O.B raw say's 48% protein, 33% fat and 6% ash .
It's so hard trying to read between the lines. Is one food over 50% more protein. Or is it the way the site adds the info up that I am not understanding. I don't even care at this point the cost. Just want a good raw company that I can feed my Kitten. Are there way's to decipher what is good and what is bad. % wise what am I looking for.. Just looking for the best % of protein fats bones organs. All the Raw foods post differently and some with added info others not... There are only like 5 company's that I can buy from. Would it be best to email them all with my questions?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
One is probably dry matter basis (I.e without water), the other is as-fed basis (I.e with water).

You may want to consider meat completers — you add them to raw meat to make it nutritionally complete; in some cases it’s raw meat and edible bone, or raw meat and liver — depends on the brand.

Some good ones are Altrunin (all but meat and bone are only appropriate for cats over 9 months), EZComplete, and TCFeline.

GuyandCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One is probably dry matter basis (I.e without water), the other is as-fed basis (I.e with water).

You may want to consider meat completers — you add them to raw meat to make it nutritionally complete; in some cases it’s raw meat and edible bone, or raw meat and liver — depends on the brand.

Some good ones are Altrunin (all but meat and bone are only appropriate for cats over 9 months), EZComplete, and TCFeline.
You're awesome. Thank you so much. Maybe it's best I keep him on wet commercial. Wellness until he's 1 and in that time figure out my long term plan. Tks again really do appreciate

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're awesome. Thank you so much. Maybe it's best I keep him on wet commercial. Wellness until he's 1 and in that time figure out my long term plan. Tks again really do appreciate
It really can be complicated to figure out what all the data mean.

It's also very much okay to feed more than one mode (as I think of it) of food. Our cats eat commercial raw, homemade cooked (I use Alnutrin to make it), canned/pouch food, and a small amount of dry food for snacks/treats/toppers. This works out really well for them because they like variety. And it works out well for me because I'd lose my mind trying to feed them only commercial raw or only homemade cooked or only canned/pouch food. None of those options would work for them! (I wouldn't feed them all dry food anyway!)

What I'm saying is that it's good to take your time. Look into options. Try some of them. Add them to the rotation if you and the cats are happy. Be ready to make changes since cats and manufacturers are fickle. Who knows, in the end, you might end up with a highly varied menu like we did! :lol:

Good luck.

GuyandCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It really can be complicated to figure out what all the data mean.

It's also very much okay to feed more than one mode (as I think of it) of food. Our cats eat commercial raw, homemade cooked (I use Alnutrin to make it), canned/pouch food, and a small amount of dry food for snacks/treats/toppers. This works out really well for them because they like variety. And it works out well for me because I'd lose my mind trying to feed them only commercial raw or only homemade cooked or only canned/pouch food. None of those options would work for them! (I wouldn't feed them all dry food anyway!)

What I'm saying is that it's good to take your time. Look into options. Try some of them. Add them to the rotation if you and the cats are happy. Be ready to make changes since cats and manufacturers are fickle. Who knows, in the end, you might end up with a highly varied menu like we did! :lol:

Good luck.
You Rock.. Tks so much... I think I will do the same approach/ Wish us well :)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just patient! That's the big thing, it can take a lot of patience. Just don't take anything personally if your kitten -- what's the kitten's name? -- doesn't like something. Particularly if/when you make the food yourself.

And I definitely wish you well! 🤞 🤞

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

It's been a few months, what did you end up doing?

I think it's great that people can make their own raw food with supplements, I've tried EZ Complete & Alnutrin, my cats won't touch anything with that stuff on them. I've been feeding freeze dried raw, either sprinkled on top of their canned food or mixed with water, one of my girls is having constipation which I've been giving her 1/8 tsp of Miralax each morning. But I think I need to get her off the raw food. I used to buy Rad Cat tubs & all my cats ate them, they went out of business so I don't know what's out there now a days, commercially prepared raw without bone.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been a few months, what did you end up doing?

I think it's great that people can make their own raw food with supplements, I've tried EZ Complete & Alnutrin, my cats won't touch anything with that stuff on them. I've been feeding freeze dried raw, either sprinkled on top of their canned food or mixed with water, one of my girls is having constipation which I've been giving her 1/8 tsp of Miralax each morning. But I think I need to get her off the raw food. I used to buy Rad Cat tubs & all my cats ate them, they went out of business so I don't know what's out there now a days, commercially prepared raw without bone.
We have the same problems with bone... The one boneless food that we feed is Stella's Select, chicken medallions, which the cats love. Unfortunately, it's also expensive but each cat just gets one a day, as a snack. Another option might be Tucker's, which has a fairly low bone percentage (I forget the number but it was definitely under ten and in our range) plus pumpkin. The cats especially like the pork flavor. Pork Primal (freeze-dried) also works for them, I believe Primal says that one is no higher than 10% bone. I also just ordered some Boss Cat with turkey, which is apparently fairly low in bone, though the company didn't give me a number. It has psyllium in it, as do some other raw foods we feed.

I started giving our slightly constipated cat Vet's Best anti-hairball tablets and she's been more regular than ever. I'm not sure what, exactly, makes the difference for her but I'm very glad I tried them for her! I also add egg yolk to two of the cats' meals; it helps motility.

We miss Rad Cat, too!

Good luck, constipation can be difficult to figure out and prevent since you have to go slowly with remedies!

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have the same problems with bone... The one boneless food that we feed is Stella's Select, chicken medallions, which the cats love. Unfortunately, it's also expensive but each cat just gets one a day, as a snack. Another option might be Tucker's, which has a fairly low bone percentage (I forget the number but it was definitely under ten and in our range) plus pumpkin. The cats especially like the pork flavor. Pork Primal (freeze-dried) also works for them, I believe Primal says that one is no higher than 10% bone. I also just ordered some Boss Cat with turkey, which is apparently fairly low in bone, though the company didn't give me a number. It has psyllium in it, as do some other raw foods we feed.

I started giving our slightly constipated cat Vet's Best anti-hairball tablets and she's been more regular than ever. I'm not sure what, exactly, makes the difference for her but I'm very glad I tried them for her! I also add egg yolk to two of the cats' meals; it helps motility.

We miss Rad Cat, too!

Good luck, constipation can be difficult to figure out and prevent since you have to go slowly with remedies!
I have this store near me that has a ton of freezers & they specialize in raw food. I got a couple containers of the Tucker's & a couple of my girls liked it. It's pretty pricey though, 2 tiny little balls of food for like $15.

I've never heard of Boss Cat, I will look them up. I like that it has psyllium in it. My cat doesn't seem to mind the Miralax & she isn't straining now that I've been giving it to her each morning. I was afraid to feed egg yolk powder regularly because of the phosphorous content. My girls are 8/9 so I am weary of it a little.

I will also look up those hairball tabs, always looking for variety!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have this store near me that has a ton of freezers & they specialize in raw food. I got a couple containers of the Tucker's & a couple of my girls liked it. It's pretty pricey though, 2 tiny little balls of food for like $15.

I've never heard of Boss Cat, I will look them up. I like that it has psyllium in it. My cat doesn't seem to mind the Miralax & she isn't straining now that I've been giving it to her each morning. I was afraid to feed egg yolk powder regularly because of the phosphorous content. My girls are 8/9 so I am weary of it a little.

I will also look up those hairball tabs, always looking for variety!
The Tucker's I've bought comes in four-ounce individually wrapped frozen patties, it's 1.5 pounds for about $14-15. Stella's Selects is a pound for $11-12. They're definitely pricey (no commercial raw food is particularly cheap) but I feed them in small amounts, as snack-meals, and the cats generally eat them up, which is more than I can say for almost any canned foods. Thank goodness they like and reliably eat a daily, large home-made cooked meal! It is so not easy to feed cats!