Ratio Question Help

Sibguy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, just need a quick answer on if my math skills are correct :)
There is a raw food brand I have been feeding and one of the blends I bought has a high bone ratio I just noticed :( The ratio is 65 25 10 M/B/O
To bring that ratio to the 80/10/10 all I need to do is add in 15 percent meat to every portion indeed correct? So for every 1 pound I can add 2.4 oz of meat and be ok? Appreciate the help in advance.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your math is a bit off. To get to 80/10/10 from a 1 lb mix of 65/25/10, you'll actually need to add 1.35 lbs of boneless meat. And because you're diluting the bone, you'll end up diluting the organ mix slightly, so the organ percentage won't be exactly 10% (technically, you'll need to add 0.15 lb of organs, but it's close enough).

There's a calculator somewhere in the resources tab, but I built my own spreadsheet after doing the math. Let me know if you'd like to understand the math behind it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sibguy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your math is a bit off. To get to 80/10/10 from a 1 lb mix of 65/25/10, you'll actually need to add 1.35 lbs of boneless meat. And because you're diluting the bone, you'll end up diluting the organ mix slightly, so the organ percentage won't be exactly 10% (technically, you'll need to add 0.15 lb of organs, but it's close enough).

There's a calculator somewhere in the resources tab, but I built my own spreadsheet after doing the math. Let me know if you'd like to understand the math behind it.
Could you explain how you got that number? So are you subtracting 15 percent from bone and adding 15 percent for meat to get 30 percent?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sibguy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah , I think I understand. The bone content is basically double the amount. So by doubling the amount of meat you cut the bone in half. Gotcha.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ah , I think I understand. The bone content is basically double the amount. So by doubling the amount of meat you cut the bone in half. Gotcha.
Yup, exactly. The way to calculate the exact amount is to do the following math:

You've got 1 lb of the mix, of which 25% is bone, so you've got 0.25 lb bone.
For the final mix to be 10% bone, 0.25 lb bone = 10% of the final mix, so 2.5 lbs = 100% of the final mix. Your final mix will be 2.5 lbs total.
Once you know the total mass, the rest follows:
1) Bone - set to 10% by the calculation above. You won't be adding any bone.
2) Muscle meat (boneless) - you want 80%. 80% of 2.5 lbs = 2 lbs. Your original mix had 0.65 lbs of meat (65% of 1 lb). So you need an additional 2.0 - 0.65 = 1.35 lbs of boneless meat.
3) Organ meat - you want 10%. 10% of 2.5 lbs = 0.25 lbs. Your original mix had 0.10 lbs of organ (10% of 1 lb). So you would add an additional 0.25 - 0.10 = 0.15 lbs of organ meat.

And that's it - you can use this same method to figure out how much boneless meat to add to dilute down any bone heavy mix.

Last edited: