Rather starve than eat alone

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are there any other cats that are like this?

Both Sinbad and Tempest refuse to eat without company. Tempest will just leave her food untouched, but Sinbad starts caterwauling if expected to eat alone. He'll just sit by his food bowl and cry and cry and cry. It doesn't matter how hungry they are, how much they love the food in front of them, if I just place it down and walk away, neither of them will eat more than a bite. They can literally be begging for food, with growling tummies, but they simply will not eat if one of us isn't with them. 

I can't decide if this is something I need to seriously worry about or not, and if it is, I have no idea how to go about working on it. 

Sinbad learned this behavior from Tempest. He used to be just fine and didn't care at all so long as he had his food. Then one day he suddenly realized that she always had company during her meals, and he started refusing to eat alone as well. The truly amusing thing is he will shepherd us up to her room if she's alone with her food and hungry.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't really think this is a problem unless it is a problem for you.  While I wouldn't say it's common, as long as you are willing and able to keep them company when they eat I don't think it should be an issue :)