Rash on cat following hospital stay

Tuxedokittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat spent 5 days in the hospital for a bad intestinal infection. He's been home for almost 2 weeks and off his meds for almost a week. He's doing much better aside from an odd rash that appeared a couple days ago. We first noticed his neck seemed irritated which we assumed was from the cone he had, his neck has since improved and is just dry so we've been putting some oils on it to keep it moisturized and less itchy. He also has a rash on his stomach, however his stomach was shaved for an ultrasound so we assumed that it was just from his hair growing back. Has anyone every had anything similar happen after your cat had been shaved closely to the skin? we have been putting an anti itch on his stomach and neck and he seems to be leaving them alone for the most part. My concern is now his head, we noticed he had a bump on his head which we then notices to be a cut or puncture of some sort, he is super clumsy and we have another cat he wrestles with so its likely it could be from that, we've been keeping that clean and been keeping a close eye on it. However he seems to be itching above his eyes and by his ears more making them red. Is it possible the rash is just from the cone/shaving but spread? We are thinking of putting a cone back on him to stop him from irritating it all over again, has anyone had experience with a donut cone, would that stop him from being able to scratch his face? or would a traditional plastic cone be the best bet? (he's super clumsy and runs into everything as it Is so we were trying to look at alternatives). sorry that was a lot of info lol. And of course we will take him to the vet if we see no improvement with the cone

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have to wonder if he is having an allergic reaction to something, possibly something from the vet stay, possibly something in the home that wasn't an issue when he had his full coat...bare skin could do that. However, rather than an anti-itch medication for humans (if what you are using isn't a prescription, or specifically for cats), I'd consider swabbing the areas with chilled chamomile tea. Buy the prepared bags from the grocery store to ensure that you are using the German variety (no matter where it was grown). ALL commercial tea bags use the German variety only. That is safe for cats. Brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, then swab it on the rash at least 3 times a day. It is antibacterial, antifungal, and wonderfully soothing. I've used it on dogs, cats, rats, mice, horses, cows, sheep, and my family with excellent results. There is ALWAYS a cup in my fridge during mosquito season!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tuxedokittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have to wonder if he is having an allergic reaction to something, possibly something from the vet stay, possibly something in the home that wasn't an issue when he had his full coat...bare skin could do that. However, rather than an anti-itch medication for humans (if what you are using isn't a prescription, or specifically for cats), I'd consider swabbing the areas with chilled chamomile tea. Buy the prepared bags from the grocery store to ensure that you are using the German variety (no matter where it was grown). ALL commercial tea bags use the German variety only. That is safe for cats. Brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, then swab it on the rash at least 3 times a day. It is antibacterial, antifungal, and wonderfully soothing. I've used it on dogs, cats, rats, mice, horses, cows, sheep, and my family with excellent results. There is ALWAYS a cup in my fridge during mosquito season!
The anti itch is made for cats! We did have that thought too as we were trying to narrow down what it could be, we’ll give that a try! Thank you!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wonder if he was allergic to the litter used at the hospital, especially if it's different from what you use at home. Also, if he wasn't eating his normal food, it could be a food allergy. Those are normal allergy locations for litter and food allergies.