Rash And Hair Loss On Cat’s Inner Thigh

CatDudeJon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
74B55863-6DA8-4BBD-9461-66F10B180EE7.jpeg
Hi,

I noticed a rash on my cat’s inner thigh and wanted to ask what you all thought about it? I haven’t noticed him licking it a lot, but there is definitely hair loss. It’s only in that one spot and his hair overall is thick and shiny everywhere else.i just noticed it today while cutting his nails... He’s been eating grain free Wellness indoor cat formula his whole life so I don’t think it’s a food allergy. He’s not acting weird, lucky I noticed it because it’s not that big of an area. I don’t see fleas...and he is an indoor cat plus our only animal. Is it something I can treat myself at home or should I take him to the vet? Thanks for your help! I hope the picture helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatDudeJon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a small jade plant on the kitchen table, but that’s it.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do think a vet visit is in order. The area is not just red, there's yellow too. I'm not a vet but it could be a fungus maybe. I don't know, but a vet will know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatDudeJon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I set up an appointment on Wednesday, will post results to help people in the future

FaithP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! My cat has the exact same issue — same appearance and spot. I know this post was from a long time ago, but I would love to know what solved it!! Went to the vet and got an antibiotic and topical treatment, but nothing has helped…

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The OP has not been back since the time of the original post, so it is unlikely that you will receive a reply.

FaithP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! My cat has the exact same issue — same appearance and spot. I know this post was from a long time ago, but I would love to know what solved it!! Went to the vet and got an antibiotic and topical treatment, but nothing has helped…
Just responding for people who may have the same issue. He ended up testing negative for ringworm, and as mentioned before the antibiotic alone didn’t clear it up. After it was still there on the second visit to the vet, he was diagnosed with an unknown allergy and possible staph infection. The vet gave him another antibiotic combined with a steroid shot and then some prescription allergy meds, and that cleared it up within a couple of days. Still not sure what triggered the allergy, but we’re sticking with a limited ingredient diet just in case. Hope this helps someone out there!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just responding for people who may have the same issue. He ended up testing negative for ringworm, and as mentioned before the antibiotic alone didn’t clear it up. After it was still there on the second visit to the vet, he was diagnosed with an unknown allergy and possible staph infection. The vet gave him another antibiotic combined with a steroid shot and then some prescription allergy meds, and that cleared it up within a couple of days. Still not sure what triggered the allergy, but we’re sticking with a limited ingredient diet just in case. Hope this helps someone out there!
I'm glad it cleared up for your little guy.