Rare kittens/unusual fur color

RobbiLovesCats142121

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys I'm new here. We are cat loves. We have 2 rescue boys of our own and have helped hundreds...Anyway tomorrow we go to pick up our new kitten that's also a rescue. Their fur colors are quite unique. I just wondered how it would be possible for a tortie to give birth to a solid white kitten. I also wondered if the siamese gray and white or solid white is more recessive/rare. Thanks

Pics are of mom, both boys (that have Bob tails) and their orange and white sister

Attachments

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Perhaps the dad was dominant white. Maybe carried the point gene.

Then it makes sense for the first red/white kitten and the last all white kitten.

The pointed one (it is not Siamese, the point gene is common in domestic cats)? Maybe 2 dads? It's possible for females to be impregnated from 2 separate fathers in the same litter or as I said he carried the point gene.

I'd love to see what those who know genetics think. Hopefully someone will pop by to explain better!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RobbiLovesCats142121

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Perhaps the dad was dominant white. Maybe carried the point gene.

Then it makes sense for the first red/white kitten and the last all white kitten.

The pointed one (it is not Siamese, the point gene is common in domestic cats)? Maybe 2 dads? It's possible for females to be impregnated from 2 separate fathers in the same litter or as I said he carried the point gene.

I'd love to see what those who know genetics think. Hopefully someone will pop by to explain better!
Yes I knew it wasn't purebred siamese. I just didn't know how to explain it. Lol. Thanks for the reply. So would the Grey and white one or solid white be more recessive/rare?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes I knew it wasn't purebred siamese. I just didn't know how to explain it. Lol. Thanks for the reply. So would the Grey and white one or solid white be more recessive/rare?
I'm not sure, I only have a basic idea of how color works. Grey in cat fancy is blue, is the dilute of black so I can see that happening of one of the parents carries the dilute gene. But, I would not say rare though. It is a nice mish mosh of colors in one litter, though!

There are a lot of people here that are well versed in genetics so hoping one or two pop in.

RobbiLovesCats142121

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure, I only have a basic idea of how color works. Grey in cat fancy is blue, is the dilute of black so I can see that happening of one of the parents carries the dilute gene. But, I would not say rare though. It is a nice mish mosh of colors in one litter, though!

There are a lot of people here that are well versed in genetics so hoping one or two pop in.
Thank you so much and thanks for responding. I'm hoping more pop in too!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
The white one may turn out to be pointed. As far as I knoe all pointed kittens are born white and the color develops later. The lighter colors (dilute) can take longer to become visible.

CuriousKittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So you've got a red and white girl, a blue point and white boy, and a white boy. Mother is tortoiseshell, and she would have to be carrying both dilute genes and colourpoint genes. The father would be dominant/epistatic white, which covers the colours he would otherwise show/carry. Underneath the white, the father would have/carry red, dilution, colourpoint, and white spotting genes.

I guess the blue point is a bit more "rare", since I think it's 50/50 whether a kitten is fully white vs white spotting, but he could've been non-pointed like his sister. Then if you're looking at specifically blue point because he could've been a different coloured point.

Treat all of what I've said with an "I think" tacked on, because I could very well be wrong, haha.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old are the kittens? They look quite young. Maybe 5-6 weeks old? Kittens should stay with mom preferably until 12 weeks old but no sooner than 10 weeks old. Honestly, it looks like the ginger and white ones are younger than the other one?

RobbiLovesCats142121

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
T
How old are the kittens? They look quite young. Maybe 5-6 weeks old? Kittens should stay with mom preferably until 12 weeks old but no sooner than 10 weeks old. Honestly, it looks like the ginger and white ones are younger than the other one?
They are 8 weeks. They are rescues and we offered to take one. I agree they need to be with mom longer, but it's simply out of my control. Cat situation is very poor in our area. That's why I volunteer with TNR as often as I can and also have fostered.

RobbiLovesCats142121

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we got him tonight. Turns out it appears he may be a flamepoint

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a flame/cream lynx point, very gorgeous cats indeed! (A little biased ;)).
He was born white and developed very faint buff colouring on his points by the time we collected him and as he matured got darker, as you’d expect. So I’d prepare for your little guy to darken in his points and reveal a beautiful colour change! It’s an interesting process to watch!
g
A2A04438-6ED9-4196-A31B-0C374B7E62AC.jpeg

RobbiLovesCats142121

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a flame/cream lynx point, very gorgeous cats indeed! (A little biased ;)).
He was born white and developed very faint buff colouring on his points by the time we collected him and as he matured got darker, as you’d expect. So I’d prepare for your little guy to darken in his points and reveal a beautiful colour change! It’s an interesting process to watch!
gView attachment 431431
Oh my he is gorgeous! We had to go with him because she ended up finding a home for the blue point!

RobbiLovesCats142121

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah in the pic I can see a little bit of color on his muzzle. That seems more likely than pure white.

They're all so cute!
Yes he's very very tiny. He also has a bob tail. He needed to be with his mom longer.