Rapid Weight Loss/muscle Mass In Fiv Positive Cat, Vet Unsure Of What Is Wrong

Midnight33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, I joined this site to see if anybody has any insights or experiences they can share. I have a cat who is FIV positive. He is 10 years old and was diagnosed with FIV about one year after I got him. For 9 years, his blood work was “normal” and vet said he was fine. But since November of 2018 he’s had serious problems and even the vet does not know the cause. I’m hoping someone may have insight, or dealt with an experience similar. I completed a time line of events to shorten the read. Any experiences I would enjoy hearing so I can learn more of how to help my baby.

Midnight had been overweight most of his life. He weighed in at nearly 19 lbs. around September/October of 2018.

In December 2018/January 2019 he started throwing up several times daily. At first I assumed he had eaten something outside so I kept him inside to see if things got better. They did. He was throwing up hairballs so I gave laxatone and no concerns.

Brought him to the vet in February and blood work was normal. Vet figured it was acid reflux so gave me meds for this. he stayed inside had laxatone and meds but still vomited more days than not. Midnight was scratching his neck on doors and corners so explored allergies. Also advised to give half zyrtec, so I did so. Cat sneezed a ton, issue didn’t improve.

Went to another vet in March due to itching, dirtier than normal ears, and pooping on the bed on occasion. He also wasn’t using the litter box to poop daily, but once every few days. Seemed somewhat constipated.

He was placed on IV fluids for two days, some sort of infection they said they couldn’t identify was there but bloodwork revealed all organs were ok, no thyroid, no diabetes, and he was given anti biotics. He drank and ate normally. Took a few days for appetite to increase but it did. Changed him to more high protein food. He seemed to do well. He was about 13.5 lbs. at this appointment. Vet and I figured the mix of vomiting and eating less lately contributed to the weight loss. They couldn’t detect what it was.

He went a few weeks later for a follow up and was given antibiotics and steroids due to sneezing. This helped. But he still had litter box issues. He pees in the box but crawls up on the bed and tries to “bury” in the comforter like he is going to use the litter box. When I carry him to his box he has diarrhea. It’s like he isn’t sure he is going to make it to the box so he tries to go there. He sought out my comforter near the laundry to poop another time. But he uses his box more than not.

Vet recommended abdominal ultrasound to see about other issues. He went from over 13 lbs to just over 12 in three weeks.

He has the ultrasound scheduled for May 30. Today he jumped on the bed and tried to “bury” like in the litter box so I carried him to the box and he had diarrhea again. He’s eating well no appetite issues, seems less thirsty, but drinks water and eats regularly.

His poop smells like death, very pungent compared to in the past. But he does have “solid” normal days too.

He has a hard time cleaning himself, lost muscle mass and fat very rapidly, is more clingy and lethargic, but has stopped hiding under the bed and behind things. Now he is in the open so that is good but he still seems off. BUN level was low at blood work in March. PHOS, CA, and ALB levels were also low. Doctor couldn’t pinpoint the issue. No allergies but seems gastrointestinal. Has anybody experienced these things? Any ideas what could be happening to my baby boy? Any insights would be amazing, I’m a mental health counselor and don’t have lots of money to spend on what if’s, but hoping the abdominal ultrasound reveals something that is workable. Thank you In advance for your insights.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am so sorry no one has figured out what is going on. I can't offer any insight either, but wanted to acknowlege your post.

Is there a vet university in or near Jacksonville, that your vet might be willing to consult with?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Midnight33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your response. I hadn’t thought of that. There are lots of universities, that is a good idea. I can research to see who to contact. It’s very strange what is happening. The vet said he isn’t in pain which is good, but I can’t imagine he’s feeling too great. I’m very grateful he’s eating and drinking and cuddling with me. If there’s anything in my power to make him better I’ll do it so thank you. I’m going to look into that now.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know anything about FIV.

But vomiting, diarrhea, and weight loss is never good.

You are getting an ultrasound so that's the right next step.

While he's at the vet, I'd ask for the pancreatitis test. It's called Spec fPLI and it's a non-standard add-on test. It often gets overlooked. It's critically important that it doesn't get overlooked. Pancreatitis can do a lot of damage in a short period of time if not addressed quickly.

I would also ask your vet about B-12 shots. With that much weight loss and digestive upset, it's almost a given he's deficient by now. His recovery will be severely limited without adequate B-12 levels.

Finally, I would look into a high quality probiotic to help with the gut and butt issues. I like Pet Flora from Vitality Science. It reduces the odor and firms up Krista's soft stools almost immediately (one or two doses.) I give her a small amount twice a day now just to stay ahead of these things.
Pet Flora, Cat Probiotics Supplement | Vitality Science

Midnight33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know anything about FIV.

But vomiting, diarrhea, and weight loss is never good.

You are getting an ultrasound so that's the right next step.

While he's at the vet, I'd ask for the pancreatitis test. It's called Spec fPLI and it's a non-standard add-on test. It often gets overlooked. It's critically important that it doesn't get overlooked. Pancreatitis can do a lot of damage in a short period of time if not addressed quickly.

I would also ask your vet about B-12 shots. With that much weight loss and digestive upset, it's almost a given he's deficient by now. His recovery will be severely limited without adequate B-12 levels.

Finally, I would look into a high quality probiotic to help with the gut and butt issues. I like Pet Flora from Vitality Science. It reduces the odor and firms up Krista's soft stools almost immediately (one or two doses.) I give her a small amount twice a day now just to stay ahead of these things.
Pet Flora, Cat Probiotics Supplement | Vitality Science
What useful information, thank you so much for sharing your ideas. I’m dropping him off tomorrow for the ultrasound so I’ll keep everyone posted. I’ll also ask about the B 12 and the pancreas test! I’m venturing out for a probiotic as well

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good luck with the vet tomorrow!! Feeby has her paws crossed for Midnight! :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

Don't forget to try these sites (if you haven't already) to see if any additional information can be gleaned from other cat lovers who have FIV cats!

Bumping up your post by responding - and to ask if you have seen this Feline FIV Support Group, assuming it is still functional?

http://www.fivtherapy.com/fiv_healthforum.htm?i=1

Or, info@ fivcats.com?
P.S. Get anywhere with the vet university search??

Last edited:

Midnight33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His pancreas was the trouble, as I imagine ducts are clogged which has made his liver and kidneys work hard. However it’s manageable, he is on probiotics, high protein food, and will be getting weekly B12 injections. I asked about quality of life and the doctor said he is well, uncomfortable but after things start to work he will be ok. With having FIV it’s a lot for his body, but the doctor said he is not in pain. We are at home resting and he seems to be ok with his new food. Thank you everyone for your support I will keep you updated

Midnight33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good luck with the vet tomorrow!! Feeby has her paws crossed for Midnight! :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

Don't forget to try these sites (if you haven't already) to see if any additional information can be gleaned from other cat lovers who have FIV cats!

The sites are a wonderful support! Thank you so much for all of the information it really has made me more comfortable about how my boy is doing. I didn’t do the vet university I wanted to find out what was happening with the ultrasound....think they would still be interested in his case? Midnight was so sweet he came home and drank a ton of water and seemed to nibble away at his new food. He didn’t much care for the probiotic on top though ! He did get sick but I anticipate it was the antibiotic he received. We are mixing the new food in slowly with the old. He’s got the old gastrointestinal food and a new high protein food. he did have some loose stool but I’m happy he is getting it all out. We have a follow up next week so I’ll look forward to seeing how it goes. Sending love to our sweet fur babies....they sure do leave paw prints on our hearts

P.S. Get anywhere with the vet university search??

Midnight33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The sites are a wonderful support! Thank you so much for all of the information it really has made me more comfortable about how my boy is doing. I didn’t do the vet university I wanted to find out what was happening with the ultrasound....think they would still be interested in his case? Midnight was so sweet he came home and drank a ton of water and seemed to nibble away at his new food. He didn’t much care for the probiotic on top though ! He did get sick but I anticipate it was the antibiotic he received. We are mixing the new food in slowly with the old. He’s got the old gastrointestinal food and a new high protein food. he did have some loose stool but I’m happy he is getting it all out. We have a follow up next week so I’ll look forward to seeing how it goes. Sending love to our sweet fur babies....they sure do leave paw prints on our hearts

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he’s getting an antibiotic than hold off on the probiotics until the antibiotics are done. They work against each other making both less effective. Ride out the soup poops until the antibiotics are done. Then start the probiotic to firm them back up. You can mix the probiotic with some treat or enticement that he can eat in a few bites. I used a couple of bites of tuna in water with the probiotic mixed into nutritional gel (aka Krista crack!) This way you aren’t “poisoning” the food and you’re certain he takes his “meds” no matter how much food he eats. You want to keep him eating to get him through this so you don’t want to turn him off of his food if he doesn’t like the probiotic or if the antibiotic makes him nauseated.

Midnight33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for that....I was actually wondering about them working against each other....so I’ll hold off on the probiotic for now....I keep reading that dry food is a no go for pancreas issues, but wondering if the vet gave it because of the hepatic lipodosis or the IBD. I feel like he should have some food! Even if it’s not the best, it’s better than nothing at all. Any suggestions on wet foods? I was going to continue with the weruva funk in the trunk, it seems to help w the stools. It would seem logical to me that wet food would be better but my vet is saying the high protein dry. I also am going to grab some bone broth. Been reading this is helpful as well. Probably get some stock to go with it. I saw several recipes online.

Definitely going to get midnight hooked on the “Krista Krack!” I was thinking once I do the probiotic, I would do some laxatone, tuna juice, and the probiotic. Seems like it would be a big hit for him.

I have to say I am sad that I asked if he was in pain and they said no. He sits in the loaf position a lot and has difficulties sitting for extended times. He has a hard time getting comfortable. I’m hoping this will pass with improvements, but if he seems to be in pain I will be asking the vet for support. His quality of life is important to me ! I’m hoping things take a turn around for him, he really is my angel.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If his loaf looks something like Krista below, that’s pain. (There is also a crouching loaf which I don’t seem to have a sample of that. Should be easy enough to find on Google (pancreatitis cat loaf pain.) Pancreatitis is painful and dry food plus pancreatitis is a terrible idea. Dry food would overwork an already overworked pancreas. Find a wet food he enjoys but also something moderate to high calories. He may not feel like eating so find foods he likes to keep him going that he doesn’t need to eat a whole lot of it. I got Krista through pancreatitis with Tiki Cat tuna flavors even though people caution against feeding an all fish diet. With pancreatitis, it’s better to feast at McDonald’s than starve at Whole Foods. In that case, because Tiki Cat is lower calories, I had to feed her more meals because there was only so much she wanted to eat at one time. Ask your vet for Midnight’s target daily calories and work from there. Look at the big number on the guaranteed analysis that is kcal/kg ME. Divide that by 1000 and that is calories per gram. Now you can figure out how many grams per day he will need to eat as total daily calories divided by the calories per gram. That is the total number of grams of that food you will need to feed him per day. Divide that up by how much he is willing or able to eat at any meal. He may need other supporting medicine like anti-nausea, pain relief, anti-vomiting, and probably an appetite stimulant.

Attachments

Last edited:

Midnight33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
MOD NOTE: merged post

My cat was recently diagnosed with triaditis. He’s on B-12 shots weekly. Unfortunately he isn’t gaining weight so I’m going to the vet to discuss the feeding tube this week. He was diagnosed with FIV about 9 years ago and this is the first time he has really been sick. So I have been fortunate in that regard. He won’t touch probiotics even with tuna juice so I’m at a loss there. I know the only way to really get things moving is going to be the feeding tube. On the other hand I worry I am prolonging his suffering. I don’t want to let him go, but I made it clear to the vet if he is in any pain or having a poor quality of life, i would have to. The vet seems to think he will recover, doesn’t seem to think a feeding tube is necessary, and just tells me if he is eating and drinking and using litter box he is ok. I beg to differ. I think he is weak so I am going to explore the feeding tube again. The doctor hasn’t given me any anti inflammatory, or pain meds. When I requested pain meds the doctor said he did not need them. He looks uncomfortable so that bothered me. I would go to another vet but I’m locked into a wellness plan with this one. I am going to create a sense of urgency. This is a cat who was 19 lbs. about a year ago. While it’s not an ideal weight, I believe if he didn’t weigh that much he would already have been gone. He is down to 8 lbs. he’s losing close to half pound a week. I got him some high calorie gel but he only had a little and lost interest. Any ideas how long a feeding tube may prolong his life? I’d rather him go peacefully if he can. I don’t want to put him through more things if he is only going to be miserable. I do think the feeding tube is the best option though if there’s any hope to save him.

Last edited by a moderator: