Random Peeing

MaxineYamazaki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is in seemingly normal spirits, but he keeps peeing on my rug in my room. He also peed on my comforter and my room mate caught him trying to pee on one of her sweaters. He has never in his life had a peeing/marking problem, and nothing in his routine has changed recently. What gives? Is he sick and trying to tell me something? Is he mad at me?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be literally anything. It may have everything or nothing to do with the litter box. Take him to the vet before you spend too much time on guesswork.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could be literally anything. It may have everything or nothing to do with the litter box. Take him to the vet before you spend too much time on guesswork.
Exactly that. Often when cats start urinating outside the litter box, they are trying to tell you that have a UTI. Either that, or if there is another cat in the household, they could be marking their territory. Either way though, in order to stop it from happening, you'll need to thoroughly clean every place that has urine on it with an enzymatic cleaner or he'll keep going there because if the smell. But if it's a UTI, he'll need antibiotics to help him get over it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Krista started peeing outside the box when her teeth were bothering her. It was a cry for help. I got her teeth fixed and she doesn’t pee outside the box anymore. So like I said, it could be anything and it could have nothing to do with his urinary tract or litterbox. Rule out medical reasons before you start chasing the behavioral ones.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he getting enough canned food every day? The moisture might help with urinary problems.