Random Occasional Vomiting

Hollis'sMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we adopted Hollis at the end of May. She had not ever really been on any wet food, so we started trying a few here and there to see if she liked them as we read it was important to have lots of moisture in their diet. She projectile vomited anything with fish and beef, so we have since stuck with chicken. She gets wet food once a day and typically only about half a 1.5oz can. She is a tiny girl at 5lbs. Every so often, as soon as she finished eating, she vomits, like within seconds of swallowing her last bite. Yesterday she vomited up her food, then vomited up clear/milky liquid about five more times. She doesn't seem to feel bad, but I'm not sure what is causing it. It only happens every couple weeks. She is not food driven at all, so she gets very little treats, and free feeds dry kibble. Is this something to be concerned about?

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hollis is so pretty!

Sometimes cats that eat too fast can vomit, but it doesn’t sound like she’s a scarfer.

Vomiting can be a sign of serious gastrointestinal problems. I don’t think it’s an emergency but you should make her a vet appointment in the near future.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with silkenpaw silkenpaw - a vet visit where they do a blood test to check B12 and liver enzymes can rule out any issues.

Our girl Olive is very food motivated, and she will occasionally scarf and barf. A month or so ago she started vomiting a lot more, multiple times a week. And usually by immediately after eating. We took her to the vet and her bloodwork was fine. We ended up switching only to wet food and it seems to fix the problem. Our theory was she wasn’t able to handle free feeding kibble and wet food meals. She seemed fine on only kibble and fine on only wet food, but the mix seemed to bother her (or she just was eating sooo much that the wet food meal was enough to make everyone get out of the pool, so to speak).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hollis'sMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hollis is so pretty!

Sometimes cats that eat too fast can vomit, but it doesn’t sound like she’s a scarfer.

Vomiting can be a sign of serious gastrointestinal problems. I don’t think it’s an emergency but you should make her a vet appointment in the near future.
Thank you :)

While she doesn't always scarf, we have found that she LOVES the FF Gravy Lovers and sometimes tends to eat that kind a little faster than say a pate style.

We can certainly have her checked out just to be sure all is ok.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hollis'sMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with silkenpaw silkenpaw - a vet visit where they do a blood test to check B12 and liver enzymes can rule out any issues.

Our girl Olive is very food motivated, and she will occasionally scarf and barf. A month or so ago she started vomiting a lot more, multiple times a week. And usually by immediately after eating. We took her to the vet and her bloodwork was fine. We ended up switching only to wet food and it seems to fix the problem. Our theory was she wasn’t able to handle free feeding kibble and wet food meals. She seemed fine on only kibble and fine on only wet food, but the mix seemed to bother her (or she just was eating sooo much that the wet food meal was enough to make everyone get out of the pool, so to speak).

I have wondered if she was possibly getting too much food altogether with the incorporation of the wet. I am not home during the day so I am unsure what times she eats her dry, but I typically give her wet food around 6pm. I guess its a possibility she has just eaten some dry but doesn't want to pass up her Gravy Lovers Chicken :lol:
I will certainly keep an eye and if it continues to happen, we will definitely see the vet.