Random digestion issue

djduval92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning!!
My 7 month old baby randomly will have diarrhea at the end of his hard poops causing him to strain which in turn causes him to scrape his butt on the ground- sometimes there is blood and mucus which I read could be from straining.
Hes had all his shots, dewormer and its on revolution plus every month. The vet saw jim 2 days ago and mentioned miralax... but he isn't constipated as he does have a full hard poop in the beginning of the poop then runny at the end.
Also, it does not happen every poop

Any ideas on what I could give to help him? Or what it could be?

Thanks guys

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I think the vet suggested Miralax to help soften his stool and enable him to go more easily. It does sound to me like he might be having a bit of constipation causing some hardness to the stool, followed by soft stool that is a more 'recent' production and has not had the moisture drawn out of it as the first part of the stool has had (which is older and has been sitting in the colon longer). The Miralax is supposed to draw moisture into the colon and aide with make the stool more 'pliable', making it easy to 'go'. If he were to go more easily, the later stool might just sit in the colon longer before having to be expelled. Sorry, I can't explain it better than that!

If using Miralax, start with no more than 1/8 tsp mixed with some water and then added to his food, or a treat, once a day. It might be that it would only be needed every other day or every 3rd day. It is kind of an experiment to see how much would be needed, and how often. This is a bit opposite of the fiber recommendation above, but both are worth trying to see if either one works for your cat. It really all depends on what exactly is causing this issue for him.