Raising A Kitten Alone Vs Having A Companion?

CrazyZiggyCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not really sure where to post this thread but here goes.....
I rescued a kitten when he was about 5 weeks old. He is 4 months now, happy, healthy, very playful and energetic. He is not fixed yet, but will be soon.

Which bring me to the big question, is it better for him to grow up alone or would he be better off with a companion?? My last cat was older when I got her and she preferred to be the only cat in our house. This is my first time with a new kitten in the house. I have heard that they are better adjusted with another kitten to play with and grow up with. Another male?

Then I wonder if he will get along with another kitten and what if he doesn't. I have thought of maybe fostering another kitten around the same age as a trial and adopt if it all works out. Is that wrong? And more importantly - will having two kittens in the house totally do me in! He is a handful as it is. Do I really want to have another kitten to try to train not to chew and scratch furniture? And not to bite me!

My husband and I are both retired and home a lot so he gets quite a bit of attention from us and he likes to be where we are and in the middle of whatever we are doing. But we do like to travel so that brings another question into the mix, leaving him alone (with a sitter of course) while we are gone or boarding him. Is it better to have another cat around for company while away? Is that less stressful? Do cats board well?

I seem to be struggling with lots of questions here, sorry. I want to be a good fur mommy and I would really appreciate hearing any thoughts and words of wisdom that you care to share.
Thanks in advance!!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Most kittens love having another kitten to play with and snuggle with. From the human perspective, two kittens can be twice the noise, chaos and destruction not to mention vet bills and litter boxes. So first think hard whether you really want and are ready for a second kitten. If you are 100% sure, then you will probably have two happy kittens on your hands.

And, an answer on boarding. No, cats do not board well. They are much much happier being in their own home, so a cat sitter is needed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. This post is long, but only touches the surface of the things you might want to think about, as you weigh out what it means to take on another cat.

If you adopt from a shelter the spaying/neutering would likely be done before you bring the kitten home - or, you could adopt an older cat that has been abandoned, etc. That will take care of one aspect of what it means to have two cats going through the process, at the same time or at different times.

If you do so, then your next challenge will be to introduce the two - that can go very well, or be a struggle; however, members on this site will be able to provide you with loads of advice and information.

About boarding - no, please, no! Find a neighbor, friend, family member that can watch your cat(s) while you are away. Preferably, in your own home; although, there are cats (depending on personality) that are amenable to going to another person's home, if they like and know the person well.

I have always had just one cat a time. Mostly because each cat I have had 'found' me when I least expected it. My husband is a big advocate of just one cat at a time too, because he feels that they are more 'loyal' to their owners when they are the only one (yeah, uh, I don't know...). And, with our current cat, Feeby, she would tear to pieces another cat. There has never been another cat nearby her who she hasn't want to beat it up - from the first day we had her! So, for now, we are still a one cat home!

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have pretty much always been a multicat home, so I personally feel the more the merrier!:)(as long as you have the space, finances, and time)
I like the idea of fostering before you adopt, just keep in mind that it takes a little while for them to get accustomed to one another. Unless you are very lucky, they won't be best buds from the get go. The fact that your little guy is only four months improves the chances that he will accept a newcomer. (Doesn't guarantee it, though) I think the older the cat, it usually takes longer for them to come around.
As for a second kitten "doing you in", I had to laugh. Yes, kittens can be EXHAUSTING! But the way I see it, two are easier than one because a lot of that kitten energy is used up playing with each other. Also, the kitten stage goes by so fast...I try to laugh at the craziness and take lots of pictures because I know they'll be grown-ups before you know it.
I think cats enjoy feline companions not only as playmates, but as snuggle buddies, groomers, and yes, sometimes partners in crime.:lol:
Good luck in whatever you decide. I think that because you are thinking about these questions ahead of time, it shows you are a pretty great cat mom!:)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like kittens raised alone, with no other pets, turn out kind of weird. It might just be my personal experience though. But, yeah, I'd recommend getting another kitten. Either sex should be fine, once everyone is fixed of course. At that age there shouldn't be a long introduction period.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The two big questions are: Can you afford two cats, emotionally and financially? and Do you want a second cat?

If the answer to both those questions is yes, the get the second kitten as soon as possible. The younger they are, the more accepting they are, although at 4 months and unfixed, your kitten is starting to take charge and ownership of it territory.

We went from one cat to two fairly quickly because the initial kitten had no manners and was very bitey (he was the only survivor of his litter and I think his mom-cat was out of the picture too), so we got the second kitten to burn off some of his energy. That and neutering seemed to work although the first guy was still very territorial at 6 months.