Raised Bowls For Senior Cat

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys!

So my senior cat is at stage 3 kidney failure and her neurological issues have gotten worse. Right now her food bowl is on top of a small box (about 3" high) but I ordered some real ones off Etsy that will be about 5" high.

She doesn't seem to mind it at all and it's suppose to help reduce pain in her back from having to crouch and her legs from having to bend (arthritis). It is also suppose to be really good for nausea in cats with kidney failure! I'm also hoping that it will help with her neurological issues.

Has anyone tried using raised bowls?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the replies!
I'm really looking forward in receiving the bowls. I ordered two from one company and two others from another company but handmade! I can't wait to get the handmade ones! I wish they made some more available and easy to find. I would love to bring them into the store I work at. I think it would so beneficial.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You can make inexpensive raised feeders by supergluing a upside down bowl or cup to a saucer or low bowl. Or you can make a raised platform to set regular cat dishes on by gluing blocks onto the bottom of a rectangular piece of wood or used cutting board. Thrift stores are great places to find the right size pieces usually for a dollar a piece.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HK's water bowl is on top of a drainer from a rice cooker. it raises the bowl several inches and the bowl is tall and we keep it very full, so raises the water level some more he seems happy about that.

he still prefers his food on a paper plate on the floor. he has weak hips and thighs, but that's what he likes.

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Sassy has 2 Water Fountains (which she LOVES) and her current dry food dish is up on a small box. She also loves it that way! But I still decided to spoil her (maybe spoil more myself with something more aesthetically pleasing haha).
We found out yesterday she has arthritis in her upper spine, so I'm sure having both her dry food and wet food bowl raised a little higher will help her. Or at least I hope so. My vet said it was a great idea!

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys!

So my senior cat is at stage 3 kidney failure and her neurological issues have gotten worse. Right now her food bowl is on top of a small box (about 3" high) but I ordered some real ones off Etsy that will be about 5" high.

She doesn't seem to mind it at all and it's suppose to help reduce pain in her back from having to crouch and her legs from having to bend (arthritis). It is also suppose to be really good for nausea in cats with kidney failure! I'm also hoping that it will help with her neurological issues.

Has anyone tried using raised bowls?
Yes I have and its so much better for the cat or cats.It also helps with digest issues.And of course easy on their backs n necks.

nado

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, you all are sure fancy schmanzy, LOL! My cats eat from raised dishes which consist of placing a thrift store saucer or small dish placed on a shoe box. When the shoe box becomes dirty, I simply replace it with a new shoe box. Gives me a great excuse for buying new shoes!

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, you all are sure fancy schmanzy, LOL! My cats eat from raised dishes which consist of placing a thrift store saucer or small dish placed on a shoe box. When the shoe box becomes dirty, I simply replace it with a new shoe box. Gives me a great excuse for buying new shoes!
Hey.It works.Ive done it my myself with small boxes

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My current raised bowl is on a small box! But I thought I'd get a little more fancy haha

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We have a tall cat who was vomiting after eating sometimes. Someone recommended using raised bowls and it's made all the difference for him. All our cats used the raised bowls now.

I hope it helps your kitty. :)

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm lucky as she hasn't gotten to the vomiting phase. She used to vomit hairballs quite often, but it diminished (pretty much non existent anymore) after I started raising the bowls. I'm personally sold on the idea and think every stored/vet clinic should have some available. My vet has put her on Cerenia and Famotidine (for nausea and vomiting) but I don't even give her that (at least not on a regular basis), as she's been eating really well and hasn't showed any signs of discomfort.

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got them off of Etsy. The company is called Classy Cat Raised Bowls. I paid I think 44CAD for one.
I also ordered some other one from a different company. However, they're all handmade and custom made. So I'll only be getting those ones in June :( But they're sure to be BEAUTIFUL!!! :blush: