Raised as a child-needs to be a cat

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend found Jack when he was appx 8 wks old-he'd obviously been on his own awhile. My husband and I have never owned cats before and at the time lived in an aprtment and we never had visitors. Jack was never around another cat and we raised him as a human. We spoke to him as a child and displined him like a child. He literally talks back to us. He is also very schedule oriented. When he was about 10mnths old we brought in another male about 4 months older than Jack hoping he would teach Jack to be a cat. At this point Jack was already showing his poor cat skills. Jack and Harley did not get along, Jack doesn't know what is right or wrong in the cat world, plays too rough etc. Jack pouted for the first 10 months Harley was with us. But seemed to get over it when he realized that Harley had no desire to rule the roost. About this time we opted to introduce a kitten, a female, Pepper. She and Harley were immediate friends, she and Jack were not. Pepper has been with us for almost 2 years and she and Harley continue to mesh well-Pepper is the head of the house and has been from the day she came home.

Jack however continues to be a problem. He hates anyone who comes to our house and gets upset when they are there. He is downright hateful. If u tell him no he meows back and will swat at you. He hates to be combed, he even hates when you comb the other cats and attacks. This is an issue because he is long haired with a double coat. He is so schedule oriented that's its almost too overwhelming to leave him. He hates other people. This too is becoming an issue-I'm due with our first baby in September. Some other child tendencies are that he gets in the bathtub of water-when u are in there also. He knows that if he takes the toilet paper before I sit down to pee that I won't sit down and pee and therefore breakfast or dinner will come sooner. He sits right in the railing of the steps and when he u walk down or up he swats u on the cheek. He sits in bed in the middle of the night and paws at the covers for u to lift them so he can go under.

I love him to death-but I need to know he's not going to swat the baby and I need to be able to groom him and I need him to deal with some schedule changes-bc regardless of me trying to keep it the same-the baby is going to change things.

Help?

Jacks mom Leslie

savvylady86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I had this problem with my dog, same everything. She hated other dogs and liked only people that she was familiar with. She was a cocker spaniel, she actually attacked three pitbulls on different occasions. We did everything right when it came to introducing her to our new baby. We were always supervising them and teaching her how to pet gentle. Then one day our furbaby snapped.
This is what can happen if an animal is not socialized properly. Please do not take any risks. Cats saliva is even worse than a dogs. My daughter had to be hospitalized and have IV antibiotics for two days then continue oraly for ten. Not a good outcome for child or pet.

Rest in peace Isabella Rose <3 Mommy still loves you.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, there's no way you can be sure that Jack will never swat the baby. As with any animal, don't ever leave Jack & the baby alone together, teach your baby to respect animals from an early age, and keep Jack out of the room when you're doing things like changing, feeding, etc. where you might not be able to react right away if something happens. I'm sure Jack and the baby will learn to get along just fine.

As for some of the other behaviors you described, they sound awfully "cat-like" to me!
Many cats are schedule-oriented, always want to be fed, and my cat also paws at my covers to come under and snuggle at night. I actually like it, though, so it's never a bother. Close the door when you're using the bathroom so Jack won't be able to get in. He might complain about it at first, but he'll get used to it. Also, you describe Jack as "hateful", well... cats don't have the ability to be hateful. They ARE very territorial, and when he acts up when you have company over, it's likely he's expressing his displeasure at having strangers in "his" house.

Good luck, and congratulations on your baby!

kit e cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's just because I live with 10 cats, but your cats sounds totally normal to me. Mine thrive on a schedule, refuse to be brushed, hide out and attack me when I walk by, etc etc etc. I would keep his claws trimmed and buy one of thosetents that go over the babies crib. My best friend just had a baby and the one cat she was afraid would try to kill the baby, is the one who she finds laying with her all the time, and will swat at the other cats if they come too close. You could be surprised.

luvzmykatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 14 year doesn't like other people coming into the house either he's very territorial though he gets along fine with the younger cat Rasta it took him a few months to do so. They groom each other all the time. He only likes a certain amount of attention though then he's done even with Rasta. They both love to be combed and get jealous when I'm combing the other cat. I talk to them and have them pretty well trained. Ricky will come when I call or whisle....most of the time....still working on Rasta though she's getting better. Rasta is very vocal and responds anytime I talk to her. Since I think it's cute I've encouraged her to be vocal. She doesn't tend to whine for stuff so it's ok. Ricky who is not vocal is the one who will whine when he wants something. Talk about child like behavior...lol All and all I've found cats will generally get their point across and if you are patient....(very patient) you can eventually get them to come around. I still wouldn't trust Ricky with a little child only because he's never been around kids. He would need to be supervised to see how he would do. Rasta tends to run scared when strangers appear so I wouldn't worry about her she'd most likely keep her distance. She also seems to be the sort of gentle cat that like to take care of others....she sort of babies my older cat. She would probably do fine with kids once she got used to them. I'm working on training her not to destroy the funiture though....that's still a problem. She loves to use her claws on uppolstry.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think thats very normal. Mine come running to be brushed and start purring when I do it. I never did anything special other than praise them while I'm brushing and give them a greenie treat in my pocket when we are done.

My cats tend to ignore most people, but visitors that are friends they run up to expecting food, as I usually greet people outside and hand them a couple greenies to toss to the furkids and just advised them to otherwise ignore the cats and that seemed to work, although I've never tried any other way.

We do try to stick to a schedule, but I don't respond to meows. Wesley never shuts up as it is, so I fear if I ever give in, he'll REALLY be noisy.

Watching a couple episodes of "my cat from hell", the one universal thing the guy seems to do is to change the environment first, and then the people second. One thing we've had from day one are two tall trees and two major things to climb on, our long shelf system all along the wall of the great room and up from the counter to fridge to on top of the cabinets, and then added more after that. Supposedly these little things can change a cat's mood, and thus response to other stimuli all over the house. For other cats, I've heard its useful to put on collars with bells so they all know where each other are at all times.

15 mins a day play sessions w/ Da Bird (feather and/or mouse attachments) and the like can also help burn off energy. I know in dogs at least, not taking a dog for a walk everyday can manifest in behavioral problems.

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SavvyLady86

Hello,
I had this problem with my dog, same everything. She hated other dogs and liked only people that she was familiar with. She was a cocker spaniel, she actually attacked three pitbulls on different occasions. We did everything right when it came to introducing her to our new baby. We were always supervising them and teaching her how to pet gentle. Then one day our furbaby snapped.
This is what can happen if an animal is not socialized properly. Please do not take any risks. Cats saliva is even worse than a dogs. My daughter had to be hospitalized and have IV antibiotics for two days then continue oraly for ten. Not a good outcome for child or pet.

Rest in peace Isabella Rose <3 Mommy still loves you.
I have to say that I totally disagree with you. Cocker spaniels are very well known to be horrible around children. They have very low tolerance for kids and some even have a "rage" gene that causes them to be extremely aggressive and unpredictable. The cases have been well documented.

Cats and dogs are two different species and they react in totally different ways.

The OP has been given some excellent advice and I don't really have anything to add to it, other than to keep the kitty's nails short. Keeping the nails trimmed reduces the risk of scratches.

I knew someone who had a very badly behaved cat that would attack them and bite constantly. They were very worried how the cat would behave when their baby came. The cat fell in love with the baby and has never scratched or bitten their kid.