Rainbow Cat Collars Save Native Birds (and frogs)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
How funny @marian100... I was just coming here to post exactly the same thing.. My link was to the ABC site.

My cats are indoor/enclosure cats for their own safety but also because I have a large garden full of birds.  This not only helps that problem but is quite the fashion statement!  People could make their own 'cat-scrunchies' in brilliant colours.  They would have to be quite loose of course, so that a cat could easily get out of them if they became caught on something.  But then maybe there's a market for 'break-away scrunchies' if it catches on!

I'm not sure it will work with frogs..I guess it might as it works with lizards.  It doesn't with rodents as they are not so visual.  It's mainly birds; they spot bright colours very quickly.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
This is a good idea. My cats manage to catch birds even though they don't go out of their enclosure. I'm confused about the bright colours theory though. Toby has caught two birds this week and he's orange! Why didn't the birds see that? Maybe it only works with birds in warm, tropical places where they see a lot of reds? 

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

This is a good idea. My cats manage to catch birds even though they don't go out of their enclosure. I'm confused about the bright colours theory though. Toby has caught two birds this week and he's orange! Why didn't the birds see that? Maybe it only works with birds in warm, tropical places where they see a lot of reds? 
Good point.  To be honest, this was a tiny study, done in Perth, Western Australia, and really lacks any scientific credibility.  But it's worth a go, and doesn't that black and white kitty look so stunning in her collar?  There's something quite mid-1600's ruff about it.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

Good point.  To be honest, this was a tiny study, done in Perth, Western Australia, and really lacks any scientific credibility.  But it's worth a go, and doesn't that black and white kitty look so stunning in her collar?  There's something quite mid-1600's ruff about it.
I don't know @Mani....that black and white kitty looks a little 'miffed' in her cute collar. 
  But it is definitely worth trying, if the cat likes to hunt birds.

If the bird is dumb enough to fly into the enclosure, perhaps his gene pool isn't one worth saving.
You have an excellent point, @Chromium Blues, although, the bird's brain seems awfully small compared to a cat, and they are very pretty.
  Maybe the red or rainbow collar could give the slower birds a chance, to remain around a while longer.
  Though, yes, I'm with you, if the bird happens to fly into the enclosure...he's asking for trouble. 

Thanks for posting this @marian100...it was very interesting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marian100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I lived in Melbourne I honestly did not care how many sparrows he caught. They are invaders and are horrible. I have only seen native birds here and so many of them. I keep him in at night anyway and he wears a bell, but I know what a good hunter he is so any advantage I can give the birdlife is good.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
To be fair on the birds, it is a very big enclosure with lots of trees in it. I doubt they even notice that it's fenced in.

Those ruffs do look like they'd be fairly easy to make, but I think my lot would pull them off pretty quickly. They're forever pulling their collars off and ditching them.

jan berry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear this. Last week my little 8 lb siamese who rarely goes outside drug in 3 full grown frogs getting ready to mate out by the pool. The law she was carrying like a kitten and let it loose in the LR. I felt like an idiot chasing the cat who was chasing the frog. That one did get out alive. Yep, I,m not afraid of frogs that fill up my hand. But that poor frog was so scared it didn't even try to jump after I picked it up. Colored necks here we come!

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

If the bird is dumb enough to fly into the enclosure, perhaps his gene pool isn't one worth saving.
If you check out this thread of Norachan's you'll see the enclosure.. It's huge and roofless.

I'm so disappointed.. Only last week I went on a throwing out spree and realised my ancient scrunchies would never again be used again.  I was going to post some pics of my two sporting them, but it's all in vain.