Ragdoll kitten?

furbaby01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I am new here. I don't know much about cat breeds as I haven't had any growing up. I saw this kitten and I already love her. So I am looking into getting this kitten. It says she is a ragdoll and comes with CFA papers. I've heard of a lot of "fakes" so wanting everyone's opinions. And does anyone know what type of ragdoll she is?

Last edited by a moderator:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I am new here. I don't know much about cat breeds as I haven't had any growing up. I saw this kitten and I already love her. So I am looking into getting this kitten. It says she is a ragdoll and comes with CFA papers. I've heard of a lot of "fakes" so wanting everyone's opinions. And does
anyone know what type of ragdoll she is?
Looks like a Tortie Ragdoll kitten to me. If she comes with CFA papers, why do you think it is a fake?

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to determine if the cat is from a reputable breeder. You can start by searching for them on the CFA site (http://secure.cfa.org/Search.aspx). If this kitten is from a good breeder you will be paying probably between 600-1000 dollars. In canada a ragdoll kitten from a good breeder will cost about one thousand dollars and the ones sold in the newspaper for $300 are from back yard breeders and should be avoided.

Another indication if this is a good breeder is if they make you sign a spay/neuter contract and a promise to return the cat back to the breeder and never to a shelter. A good breeder will test for HCM which is genetic in ragdolls and back yard breeder do not test for this causing some of their cats to have it which will result in expensive vet treatment and even death.  Here is some info on HCM (http://www.fabcats.org/hcm/) and (http://www.floppycats.com/hcm-in-ragdoll-cats.html). I would only recommend getting the kitten from a reputable breeder as otherwise you will most likely deal with a host of health and possibly behaviour problems.

If you do not want to spend the money on a kitten from a reputable breeder than I suggest you ask catteries about retiring studs or queens- they are often a lot cheaper and are really great cats personality wise and you will not have to deal with a crazy kitten. Good breeders retire their Queens usually after three litters so the cats are not old and usually between 2-5 years old. Another option is to rescue a ragdoll there are a few rescue organizations. Floppy cats is a great website about ragdolls and they have rescues listed on their website (http://www.floppycats.com/ragdoll-rescue.html) and check out their list of available ragdolls. 

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was going to adopt the Ragdoll cat prior to the one I did decide on eventually, it was easy enough to establish whether or not she was from a reputable breeder or not.  When I saw the papers (which I asked the owners to see) I mentally noted the name of the breeder and then looked it up online.  They were simple to find, and it was obvious they were breeding Ragdolls for many years, and had all the above mentioned safety measures in place - their contract was online to be viewed.

I'd imagine, if you're serious about this kitten, you could ask to see the papers again and look the breeder up on line.  If you couldn't find them, well, that in itself *might* be telltale.  Not saying for sure, but I'd be wary as most have websites by now as it's the best way to market themselves effectively further than their local areas.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

furbaby01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live about 3 hours from her but she sent me photos of these. She said the kitten is with NCFA but can be registered with CFA. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The paper indicates that the cats are registered as himalayan, if she is selling the cat as a ragdoll that is a huge redflag. Is she a registered breeder and is her cattery recognized? It looks like she is breeding pet quality cats and that is another redflag. This has many indications that this is a back yard breeding operation, so I would instead look for a reputable breeder near your area you can do a search on the cfa website that I posted above. Floppycats also has a list http://www.floppycats.com/recommended-ragdoll-breeders.html

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The paper indicates that the cats are registered as himalayan, if she is selling the cat as a ragdoll that is a huge redflag. Is she a registered breeder and is her cattery recognized? It looks like she is breeding pet quality cats and that is another redflag. This has many indications that this is a back yard breeding operation, so I would instead look for a reputable breeder near your area you can do a search on the cfa website that I posted above. Floppycats also has a list http://www.floppycats.com/recommended-ragdoll-breeders.html

Gee...... It seems that the kitten was born in may 2013 (pink paper on the left..... and mom and dad are both himmies...... And They are old..... A queen from 2004 still having kittens? Am I reading this right?

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, you're reading that right.  

I'm suspect too.  A 9 year old cats should not still be breeding. 

Sounds like this person is depending on the buyers not being knowledgeable enough to know this.

As Carolina and Franksmom have already said, it doesn't sound right.  There are lots of good breeders easy accessible online.  If you want the name of the one that I know of, send me a PM. They are in New Jersey, don't know how that works for you and I know she has a waiting list right now for kittens. 

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  I am SO glad that you thought of coming here and asking.    That is a  lot of red flags for  dishonesty and  poor breeding practices.    Others have already pointed out a lot of the problems. 

I would stay far far away. 

I would go via a breed club or the CFA Ragdoll Breed Council,  or TICA Ragdoll Breed Committee ,  to look for a Ragdoll breeder.   Or contact sivyaleah about the breeder she knows;  if that breeder is involved in the breed & the cat fancy she would probably be able to recommend others, too.  

Here is a Ragdoll forum where you might get some good tips and recommendations.    

http://www.ragdollcatguide.com/forum/index.php

Expect to pay at least  $600 for a registered Ragdoll kitten.    Another option  as already mentioned,  is a retired breeding / show cat which would be less.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furbaby01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your help! I'm really glad I asked. I'm going to check all of these websites out, thank you! :)