Ragdoll Food And Stool

ryanb4614

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello I have a ragdoll that is 16 weeks old, female. The breeder I got her from had her on A local drive food mix that somebody makes their town. They gave me some food with her so I could wean her off. Her stool was solid for when I first got her. I have been giving her Purina One Kitten. She really won't touch wet food. Since the switch her stall is always soft sometimes formed sometimes not, hard to say because sometimes she flattens it. Never runny. She always goes in her litter box. I do feedings 3 times a day 1/4 of a cup. She is very playful never lethargic . Stool was free of parasites.

My plan was to have her on this kitten blend then mover her to the Purina One Urinary Blend at one year old since ragdolls are known for urinary issues. Looking for recommendations since this plan won't be working.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats hate the Purina One Urinary dry food, they won't eat it anymore. Have you tried Pate canned food? My cat ate pate the first few months of his life until he could chew the chunks and shreds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ryanb4614

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried anything else. She eats it and likes it. Just not agreeing with her belly I don't think because of the stool

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You said she won't touch wet food, which brands and types have you tried?

ryanb4614

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wet I have tried: I have tried Natural Balance, PurinaOne, BB, Wellness

Update:
Her poop has been "flat" in the litter box. Never solid "turd" shape, sorry. I switched her from PurinaOne for kitten dry to Wellness Grain Free Complete Health for Kittens.

I did have her to the vet, everything was negative for her feces test, again. He said he never heard of a cat flattening her poop. I told him I'm not sure that shes actually flattening it I think its just loose. He said she is healthy..... Wasn't really helpful. Said I could try different foods but would stick with dry.

Well the last 2 days every time she poops she has been tracking little things of poop out of her box, even ending up on the wall which I still haven't figured out how. She seems to be pooping a lot. I feed her dry 2x a day 1/4 cup each serving.

This morning I watched her poop. It is super soft almost liquid. Before she covers it. So I gave her, her wet today just to try to help her belly. Anyone recommend a food? Looking at Royal Canine for kittens then transition to the Ragdoll formula? Open to suggestions. Just want to her this issue under control for her.

MoonRockyMistyMuffin

I love cats but I'm not lonely
Young Cat
Purraise
If she is a girl, wet food is not a necessity. Male cats need wet food or they will get urinary crystals, but girls should be fine with just dry food and water, so you can cross wet food off the list if she won't eat it. As for the dry food, try switching brands to find one she likes.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try feeding her some boiled chicken breast shredded up. It's my go to for an upset tummy, kind of like chicken soup for humans.

_spadekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She could have a sensitivy to a certain protein. If shes having problems with many different foods, that would be my guess. My cat was having runny stools and I eventually figured out he has a sensitivity to chicken. So I cut out all chicken from his diet; he eats proteins like beef, duck, and some fish instead. His stool looks much better and he isn't throwing up at all really.

In the mean time, you can add pumpkin to her diet to firm up her stool.

ryanb4614

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been giving her pumpkin this is the second day with the wellness grain free kitten. I was thinking it was a food allergy as well. Pumpkin defiantly firmed her poop up and isn't going as much. But still no "turd" shape.

The two things I was thinking is either chicken allergy because Purina one is chicken and so is wellness. They do have a salmon blend I saw OR she is still adjusting to food change?

MoonRockyMistyMuffin

I love cats but I'm not lonely
Young Cat
Purraise
You shouldn't fill her diet with only fish because too much isn't healthy. If there is turkey or beef food that might be good.

_spadekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been giving her pumpkin this is the second day with the wellness grain free kitten. I was thinking it was a food allergy as well. Pumpkin defiantly firmed her poop up and isn't going as much. But still no "turd" shape.

The two things I was thinking is either chicken allergy because Purina one is chicken and so is wellness. They do have a salmon blend I saw OR she is still adjusting to food change?
Wet food changes usually don't cause any stomach upset, but you could have a kitty with a really sensitive tummy. So that could be it. I think a protein sensitivity is more likely though.

Wellness has a beef and salmon blend, that's what I feed my cat. I think the beef and salmon and turkey flavors are the only ones without chicken. And then he gets merrick and fancy feast as well on occasion.

It could also be a grain allergy, so I'd give it a few more days and see if the grain free food helps

ryanb4614

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Wellness Complete Health Kitten is grain free. If it was a chicken allergy wouldn't there be more symptoms then just the loose stool issue? She never vomits, not itchy, coat feels nice and soft since on wellness. Pumpkin doesn't seem to be working, watched her go again today, more loose but not liquid. Thinking of trying Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets Cat Food - Grain Free, Green Pea & Duck.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If Ragdolls are prone to urinary issues, I would move her to a canned-food diet now. The loose stools are obviously not a urinary issue, but I wouldn't want to get her addicted to kibble now and then need to give her healthier wet-food diet later. I'm not sure why veterinarians want to recommend dry food still...maybe to increase their revenue.

Also, 1/2 cup of food per day sure doesn't sound like enough food for a growing kitten. Is she really tiny?

Sorry...I don't know what to tell you about the flat/loose poops. She should have a regular kitten-worming schedule. Outside of possible food intolerance/allergy, worms are the only thing I can think that would cause loose stools with no other symptoms. I do think she would be vomiting if it were a food intolerance.

ryanb4614

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He said kittens don't need wet food, so I stopped trying. Recommendation to try, don't see to many "kitten" brands? I never owned a cat before.

Feeding I was going off the feeding recommendation on the bag of food.

Breeder had her dewormed three times. Fecal test was negative. Not to be gross, but I did take her poop and broke it up to look for worms. I know some could be microscopic.

I do agree there should be more symptoms if an allergy. But I did notice with Wellness and PurinaOne there are a ton of veggies.

Last edited:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the breeder wormed her three times, it's probably not worms. You might call the breeder and ask what type of wormer she used and how long ago was the last treatment (that info is probably on your paperwork, too). The breeder may have only used a wormer for roundworm, not a broader-spectrum wormer, but if your kitten doesn't ever go outside then she most likely doesn't have worms. :headscratch:

Canned foods are generally going to be higher in animal protein and animal fat than any "kitten" kibble making them easier to digest and utilize for nutrition. An "all life stages" food is as suitable as any food labelled specifically for kittens.

_spadekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Wellness Complete Health Kitten is grain free. If it was a chicken allergy wouldn't there be more symptoms then just the loose stool issue? She never vomits, not itchy, coat feels nice and soft since on wellness. Pumpkin doesn't seem to be working, watched her go again today, more loose but not liquid. Thinking of trying Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets Cat Food - Grain Free, Green Pea & Duck.
If its an allergy, yes, there'd be symptoms like that. But if its a simply a sensitivity, loose stool may be all you see. Kind of like how some people are lactose intolerant and just get a stomach ache, but others vomit and get really sick.

I like the natural balance line, I feed mt cat the vension and green pee as snacks

ryanb4614

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going to try what someone else posted on a different thread and try a not so rich food. Going to try RC kitten then introduce in a few weeks?? Fancy feast for kittens just to see.

ryanb4614

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an update. We have shaped stool! :) Royal Canine did the trick. I am guessing all the fruits and veggies in the other goods were bothering her belly. Also altered her feed to one can of fancy feast for kittens + 1/4 cup 2 times a day per RC recommendations. Glad this is settled. Thanks for the input.