Ragdoll cats, oh boy!

bellaluna777

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a two year old Ragdoll female and we have a love-hate relationship. She can be very sweet when she wants to and can hiss and swat and bite. To be fare, the Ragdoll is a breed that is only 50 years old and part of the mix is a ferral cat. What irks me is that the breed is listed as sweet and docile and will go limp in your arms and is a quiet breed. However, I have found my Ragdoll and from so many other owners on forums claiming quite the contrary.

When I told my vet I had a Ragdoll cat she exclaimed, "they can be real firecrackers". This coming from an all cat clinic vet with 40 years experience. Now I know one argument that some Ragdoll owners/breeders put forth is that if your Ragdoll doesn't fit the breed description, they must come from a bad breeder. This, however, was not my case as I got her from a TICA registered breeder who bred her kitties under foot in a family atmosphere and her parents come from "Champion" lines descending straight from Anne Baker's selected kitties. I am hoping my Ragdoll will mellow out over time, she has twice the energy level of my Persian cats the same age and we are contemplating getting her a cat wheel. 

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A cat is a cat is a cat whether it's pedigreed or not. 
 I don't believe that because your Ragdoll or any other purebred veers away from the behavior pattern means that she came from a "bad breeder". The cat's independent spirit will always be there. That is what I love the most about them. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As you've pointed out, most cats breeds are fairly new and behavioral traits are last to be really established in a breed. In my experience, purebreds vary just as much in personality/temperment as moggies do. The only thing I've seen with any kind of consistency is that Siamese (and related oriental breeds) are LOUD! :D

My mom has a Ragdoll who doesn't fit the supposed personality traits as well. I doubt she came from a "good breeder" (she's a second-hand cat. Actually third-hand) but who knows. Her first family moved a lot so even if she did come from a good breeder they probably would have lost track of her anyway.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellaluna777

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I can see the difference between  a cat breed that is hundreds of years old like the Persian vs. the Ragdoll. I have had lots of Siamese cats and I for one can attest to the fact that they are LOUD, but very sweet. To tell you the truth, I was hoping by getting a seal point Ragdoll, I could have a Siamese looking cat with a more lad-back disposition. Oh well, we love her all the same, but definitely prefer Persians over Ragdolls. I think they are ideal for a household with a young family and a dog.