Ragdoll 4 Months Food Issues

ryanb4614

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I noticed my Ragdoll who is 19 weeks old her poop has been "flat" in the litter box. So I figured it was loose. Never solid "turd" shape, sorry. I had her on PurinaOne for kitten dry only. I switched her about 2.5 weeks ago to Wellness Grain Free Complete Health. I mixed it for about a week. I did have her to the vet, everything was negative for her feces test. He said he never heard of a cat flattening her poop. I told him Im not sure that shes actually flattening it I think its just loose. He said she is healthy.....

Well the last 2 days every time she poops she has been tracking little things of poop out of her box, even ending up on the wall which I still haven't figured out how. She seems to be pooping a lot. I feed her dry 2x a day 1/4 cup each serving. My vet said to keep her on dry.

This morning I watched her poop. It is super soft almost liquid. Before she covers it. So I gave her, her first thing of wet today just to try to help her belly. Anyone recommend a food? Looking at Royal Canine for kittens then transition to the Ragdoll formula? Open to suggestions. Just want to her this issue under control for her.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did the Vet do a fecal float to make sure she doesn't have any parasites that might be causing this issue? It might not be food related at all. I know you said she is healthy, but you didn't mention whether or not she was tested for anything. She is still a kitten...is that Wellness food for kittens or not? Wellness is (or used to be) a fairly rich food and I remember hearing from several people that it is too rich for kittens (unless it is specifically their kitten food). BUT, since it appears her lose stools have gotten worse on the new food, I would think about either going back to either the Purine One or try something else. I really can't make any recommendation for any specific Kitten Food since it's been several years since I've had any kittens around.

Have you tried giving her any probiotics? That might help with tummy troubles.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would switch her to a high quality wet, raw, or freeze dried raw food diet. Good brands would be Primal, Stella and Chewy, Feline Naturals. Cats are obligate carnivores, so you want something with high moisture, low carbs, no wheat, veggies, soy, etc. No kibble. Additionally, you can give the probiotic s boulardii, which will firm up that soft stool.

Here's more info My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ryanb4614

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been giving her pumpkin this is the second day with the wellness grain free kitten. I was thinking it was a food allergy as well. Pumpkin defiantly firmed her poop up and isn't going as much. But still no "turd" shape.

The two things I was thinking is either chicken allergy because Purina one is chicken and so is wellness. They do have a salmon blend I saw OR she is still adjusting to food change?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my kittens Purina One Kitten and Fancy Feast canned (some kitten, some not). I've never had a problem with it.
It does sound to me that this new food is just too rich for her.

ryanb4614

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She was doing this though on Purina One. She never had solid/formed "turd" shaped poop since I had her. She doesn't show any signs of discomfort. Just trying to narrow down what the cause could be. Never vomits. No other signs of allergies besides the mushy poop. Since using the pumpkin she is not going as often. Little less mushy... Smell is gone
Today just still finding pieces of poop now. Going to try no pumpkin tomorrow and see what we got. Any other food recommendations?

Last edited:

Subspace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She was doing this though on Purina One. She never had solid/formed "turd" shaped poop since I had her. She doesn't show any signs of discomfort. Just trying to narrow down what the cause could be. Never vomits. No other signs of allergies besides the mushy poop. Since using the pumpkin she is not going as often. Little less mushy... Smell is gone
Today just still finding pieces of poop now. Going to try no pumpkin tomorrow and see what we got. Any other food recommendations?
I have a similar problem. Both of my kittens will have mushy poop, off and on. Sometimes they will have a nice turd poop and other days it will be mushy. I've had their poop tested and it came back negative. I ordered some probiotics called "Proviable," which I will be adding into their food over the course of a few days. Hoping it will help. My kittens are almost 3 months old and both are strictly on wet food (Wellness core & Nature's Variety).

ryanb4614

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everything has been good since giving one fancy feast for kitten in morning and royal canine twice a day.