Radar

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First time cat owner.
I thought I was shocked when she knew I was in the kitchen from 4 rooms away, I deliberately tiptoe in there..she can't see me..but somehow, I turn around and there she is at my feet!

This time, I thought I would take a quart of ice cream out of the freezer, put it in the center of the dining room table (she is in another room,mind you), take the cover off, but forgot something in another room only 5 steps away! She has NEVER seen ice cream come out of the refrigerator since she has lived here. But there she was in a matter of 8 seconds or less ON THE TABLE WITH HER HEAD IN THE BOX! No way could she even see that ice cream from the floor.
Is their sense of smell that keen? or do I have a monster cat?
Something tells me she was a table jumper in her previous home because the second she saw me turn around and see what she was up to she jumped down like lightening hitting the floor.
I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHAT SHE DOES IN THE WEE HOURS WHILE I AM SNORING AWAY!:redtongue:

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you don't want to know....LOL. Their sense of smell and hearing is truly remarkable. I gave up trying to sneak anything around my cats long ago. I have a cat that eats chicken every time In go into the kitchen, he can be sound asleep clear across the house and when I reach the kitchen, he is there!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely radar and a keen sense of smell. One of my girls could be sleeping in her room and if I am down in the basement for more that a few minutes she seems to know it and always comes to find me.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats do have a keen sense of smell and their ears can pin the location of any sound.

I watched as my wife started preparing Belle's supper. Belle was totally relaxed, grooming herself in the way only cats can do when SWAMBO cracked the Sheba container. In an instant, Belle was leaping over obstacles, ears erect and forward, head up as she dashed into the kitchen. Not one wasted motion. It was beautiful to see and I wish I'd caught it on camera.

Punxpunx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my cat was stuck on a roof overnight I was able to finally get up there the next morning. She was terrified and wouldnt even come to me and follow to the way out. She stayed on the far corner of the roof and kept backing away so I had to stay about 20 meters away afraid she was going to jump off if I came closer.

I brought up a squeeze treat which she loves hoping to lure her over but no dice until I actually opened it. INSTANTly as soon as I opened the treat she came towards me. I didnt even know smells could travel that fast! 20 meters away and she reacted in 1 second.

D_H

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With some cats it's a personality thing, along with that radar (and amazing sense of smell, obviously).
And by personality thing I mean a very curious and/or gluttony personality, one that wants to eat everything that's not their food.

I had a Hummus plate with a cats' face in it, caught the same cat nibbling a carrot cake..
My Tortie tried to steal an egg roll from my plate once, a pancake from the table, left bite marks on an apple & stole a slice of bread from the kitchen...

So.. yeah, I never leave food unattended lol, even for a second :lol:

D_H

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Seriously now, some facts about cats:
  • Cats have more than 200 million odor sensors in their noses; humans have just 5 million. Their sense of smell is 14 times better than that of humans
  • The cat’s outer ear is connected by 27 muscles. It can rotate 180 degrees to scan the environment or to direct attention to a particular sound. Cats can detect higher frequencies than dogs. Cats can also determine where the sound is coming from by sensing differences in the time of the arrival and the intensity of the sound received by the two ears

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you don't want to know....LOL. Their sense of smell and hearing is truly remarkable. I gave up trying to sneak anything around my cats long ago. I have a cat that eats chicken every time In go into the kitchen, he can be sound asleep clear across the house and when I reach the kitchen, he is there!
Last night she disappeared off the bed for hours. I got up to search, wondering what mischief she was up to. Before I could walk out of the bedroom, there she was at my heels. So this morning I did a bit of sleuthing and VOILA' ! There in the recliner which I sit in to watch tv and knit were a covering of cat hairs! Never before has she sat in that chair. But last night? She was adventurous and dared me to find her in a place that she figured was off limits! :lovecat4: