Rad Cat to start using some HPP

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a letter from Rad Cat about some changes to their poultry products - "Beginning in January, we will have all of our whole poultry thigh and leg and poultry organs processed using high pressure processing (HPP). This process will not  be applied to our finished product only the poultry ingredients."

They claim it wont affect the taste of the product but we all know how finicky some cats can be. Looks like this is only going to affect the chicken and turkey flavors. 

http://www.radfood.com/site/1934radf/HPPNoticeletterFinal.pdf

Last edited:

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I guess I can see RC's pov given that the FDA has indeed "singled out" raw this past year. (Don't know if you saw the articles about this topic last year on TAPF and the use of some potentially "dirty" sampling methods to collect samples in stores prior to the 2015 collection?)

It's only the poultry anyway which is more susceptible to salmonella. Btw, I picked up another small container of RC's venison and Mikey seemed to enjoy it more than the first time I tried it with him. I even got fussy Molly to eat some (had to dust some Whole Life turkey toppers on it) but she ate it right up. :)

I hope the HPP doesn't change the taste either, I guess we'll have to wait and see ....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well I guess I can see RC's pov given that the FDA has indeed "singled out" raw this past year. (Don't know if you saw the articles about this topic last year on TAPF and the use of some potentially "dirty" sampling methods to collect samples in stores prior to the 2015 collection?)

It's only the poultry anyway which is more susceptible to salmonella. Btw, I picked up another small container of RC's venison and Mikey seemed to enjoy it more than the first time I tried it with him. I even got fussy Molly to eat some (had to dust some Whole Life turkey toppers on it) but she ate it right up. :)

I hope the HPP doesn't change the taste either, I guess we'll have to wait and see ....
Yeah I don't really think it's a bad thing, I just hope it doesn't alter the taste or texture too much. They claim it makes the taste better according to their sample cats, so that's a good thing. I don't usually buy the RC chicken because I have one cat that will only eat RC and she doesn't really like the chicken. Nice that both of yours liked the venison this time around! 

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah I don't really think it's a bad thing, I just hope it doesn't alter the taste or texture too much. They claim it makes the taste better according to their sample cats, so that's a good thing. I don't usually buy the RC chicken because I have one cat that will only eat RC and she doesn't really like the chicken. Nice that both of yours liked the venison this time around! 
I hope the taste is also still palatable post HPP. I really like this company a lot, if I had to pick one fav between all the commercial cat foods out there, or at least b/t commercial raw and canned, my fav would be RC (even though I don't have Molly on board with it yet).  Very good ingredients, no veggies, transparency to customers with good quality control over their products and excellent customer service. I've sent two emails in the past to RC and I get very thorough, detailed replies.

The only negative with RC is the price. :(

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope the taste is also still palatable post HPP. I really like this company a lot, if I had to pick one fav between all the commercial cat foods out there, or at least b/t commercial raw and canned, my fav would be RC (even though I don't have Molly on board with it yet).  Very good ingredients, no veggies, transparency to customers with good quality control over their products and excellent customer service. I've sent two emails in the past to RC and I get very thorough, detailed replies.

I agree. I'd feed it exclusively if I could. Henry tried it for the first time recently and inhaled it. The girls like it too. They like it way better than Primal or Stella and Chewy's

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have not contacted RC before, but I trust your opinion about companies because you definitely do your research! I agree though i think RC is the best commercial raw out there. I'd probably feed it exclusively if it wasn't so expensive and I had easier access to it. I'm going to keep buying it since the majority of my cats adore it and it helps them eat up the raw i make more enthusiastically when i mix a little RC with homemade. 

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have not contacted RC before, but I trust your opinion about companies because you definitely do your research! I agree though i think RC is the best commercial raw out there. I'd probably feed it exclusively if it wasn't so expensive and I had easier access to it. I'm going to keep buying it since the majority of my cats adore it and it helps them eat up the raw i make more enthusiastically when i mix a little RC with homemade. 
Thanks, I used to do legal research (litigation paralegal) for about 10 years so I'm a research junkie. :)

I wish you had easier access to RC as well and I also wish there was some way RC could offer discounts to people if they buy in bulk. I saw on another site that Pet Food Express (a chain in CA), will give one free RC for every three purchased - four for the price of three.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, I used to do legal research (litigation paralegal) for about 10 years so I'm a research junkie. :)

I wish you had easier access to RC as well and I also wish there was some way RC could offer discounts to people if they buy in bulk. I saw on another site that Pet Food Express (a chain in CA), will give one free RC for every three purchased - four for the price of three.
They might do that but the shipping is more than likely insanely expensive. I priced RC from an online retailer here in Florida. While they were cheaper than the independent pet store near me by about $1 or so per container, it would have cost me over $40 in shipping and that's from and to Florida. I can't imagine what it would be to ship frozen raw meat from California to Florida. :dash:

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They might do that but the shipping is more than likely insanely expensive. I priced RC from an online retailer here in Florida. While they were cheaper than the independent pet store near me by about $1 or so per container, it would have cost me over $40 in shipping and that's from and to Florida. I can't imagine what it would be to ship frozen raw meat from California to Florida.
Oh, I thought PFE was a chain where people go to pick up food, not food that's shipped. :(

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I saw that about the buy 3 get one free in CA which bummed me out because I grew up in NorCal and that's where all my family is. I've only been in AZ for a couple of years. I actually looked up places to buy RC in the area where my family is and there are tons and tons of places. Makes me miss home for sure! 

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They might do that but the shipping is more than likely insanely expensive. I priced RC from an online retailer here in Florida. While they were cheaper than the independent pet store near me by about $1 or so per container, it would have cost me over $40 in shipping and that's from and to Florida. I can't imagine what it would be to ship frozen raw meat from California to Florida.
Actually, PFE are physical stores throughout N. CA so buyers get that nice discount. :)

Last edited: