Raccoon is 'back'

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
After having two raccoons 'pass through' our backyard a couple of times about two weeks ago, one is back. Here it is noon, and I look out the window to see it sitting in one of the squirrel perches just munching away. To get it to leave, we took down all the squirrel feeders and brought them inside.

Don't like the idea it is out in broad daylight, but that happened before a couple of years back too. That time, housing construction appears to be what chased them away from their 'home'. No construction going on nearby now, that I know of.

At least it didn't trash the feeder, but who knows next time around.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a raccoon bafle? This is different from a squirrel baffle, much longer and wider. I got one and it works really well.
SB2D - Dome Top Raccoon and Squirrel Baffle

I have this one didnt buy it from this store but its the same one. i imagine amazon sells them too.

Squirrel baffle on left raccoon baffle on right

It has to be long and wide because raccoons can easily climb over a squirrel baffel.

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahh i dont feed squirrels. If i feed them rats come too. Squirrels also destroyed my old $100 bird feeder so not to fond of the varments.

I have an absolute ii metal birdfeeder now and a raccoon baffle on the pole. Only seen birds at it since getting the baffle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ahh i dont feed squirrels. If i feed them rats come too. Squirrels also destroyed my old $100 bird feeder so not to fond of the varments. I have an absolute ii metal birdfeeder now and a raccoon baffle on the pole. Only seen birds at it since getting the baffle.
I managed to find 'baffles' for my bird feeders that the squirrels cannot get around, although I can't guarantee a raccoon might not find a way around one of the two. If they do, it will trash that bird feeder for sure. These hang from tree branches with the baffles set up above the feeders, 22" diameter galvanized steel 'plates' that are so far above the feeders the squirrels just fall to the ground rather than hit the feeders beneath the baffles. As a result, they don't even try anymore!

We do not seem to have a mouse/rat problem; most of my neighbors who have places that they could hang out are diligent about keeping those areas exposed and clean.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My raccoons know that there are feral cats at my back patio, even though all sources of food are well supervised. They aren't climbing anything, just hanging around the corner of the house waiting for me to go inside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I managed to find 'baffles' for my bird feeders that the squirrels cannot get around, although I can't guarantee a raccoon might not find a way around one of the two. If they do, it will trash that bird feeder for sure. These hang from tree branches with the baffles set up above the feeders, 22" diameter galvanized steel 'plates' that are so far above the feeders the squirrels just fall to the ground rather than hit the feeders beneath the baffles. As a result, they don't even try anymore!

We do not seem to have a mouse/rat problem; most of my neighbors who have places that they could hang out are diligent about keeping those areas exposed and clean.
Unfortunatly my one neighbour is a horder so all the junk and crap attracts rats and vermin. We put up a fence so we dont have to look at all the junk and weeds.