Rabies Vaccine Reaction

Puppycat73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday morning, my kitty Nutmeg received her rabies vaccine. No other vaccines as I make sure to space them out. She is approximately 3 years old and in good health. She was fine all day yesterday, eating, playing, etc.

When I woke up this morning I noticed that she had not eaten any kibble during the night (unusual for her) and she didn't come and wake me up. I found her still in bed (also unusual) and managed to get her to eat a little kibble from my hand (she's a VERY picky eater so not much entices her even on a good day.) She was very lethargic. She's perked up a little but still not much of an appetite.

Anyway, I called the vet and they said that it's a normal reaction to the vaccine, to only become concerned if she vomits or has diarrhea. However, I'm concerned about her appetite. I have some Mirataz, and I'm wondering if I should give her a dose today to help her eat and regain her strength?

I'd appreciate any suggestions. She's crazy and doesn't like the usual cat temptations when it comes to food.

Thanks so much

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm sorry Nutmeg is having some side effects from her rabies vaccine. Do you know which vaccine she got? Was it the Purevax? The reason I asked is because the Purevax has no adjuvants which means it's a safer and gentler way to vaccinate against rabies. Here is an Article that discusses the vaccine: Do Indoor-only Cats Need Rabies Shots? – TheCatSite Articles

It's very important for her to eat. This Article will give you some helpful tips and advice to stimulate her appetite:
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – TheCatSite Articles
I would try some of the suggestions in the Article before attempting to give Mirtazapine without the consent of your vet. If she's still not eating by tomorrow please contact your vet.

Best of luck, please keep us updated on her progress. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Puppycat73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your help. She did manage a bit of kibble this evening.

The paper the vet gave me said the manufacturer is B&I but it didn't give me the name of the vaccine itself

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, nevermind, I found it. She got the Purevax vaccine. :)
Those are the normal possible side effects listed for purevax. That is good she is eating more. I hope she feels better soon, call dvm your if not. Sybil once had a reaction after her shots, I have forgotten which one now. She started salivating when we got home and seemed not well. Dvm didn’t do anything when I called though, they just said it is “normal” which I don’t agree with. But she started feeling better rapidly and recovered from it. My cats do usually get a bit under the weather after vaccines but they are fine the next day. I am having my usual flu shot reaction right now.