Rabies vaccine on a flared up cat who’s on Prednisolone

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I got a job abroad and need to move with my cat. We will be flying (takes around 50 min) and the EU law is that my cat needs a passport and a rabies vaccine to enter the country.
The problem is that my cat is sick and on Pred. He just had a major flare up and although his blood panel is surprisingly good for how he’s been doing (vomiting and a lot of pooping), he does have a chronic pancreatitis, cholangitis and possible ibd. I’m scared that he’s not feeling well enough to be vaccinated and that the Pred might suppress his immune system response.
Besides that he has taken on peeing in random places (no issues with kidneys or a UTI though, tested) and we are about to get kicked out. So can’t really wait for too long until he gets better. I have no one I could leave him for a couple of weeks either to as he needs special care.

Does anyone have experience with vaccinating an immunocompromised cat? An Ibd/pancreatitis cat on Pred? Or other immune system issues? What can I expect? How to increase his chances to not get violently sick from it?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would think this is something you should discuss with your Vet, especially since they will be the ones who would be giving the vaccine anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would think this is something you should discuss with your Vet, especially since they will be the ones who would be giving the vaccine anyway.
Yes of course I discussed it with our vet. She says she will inject him but cannot guarantee that he won’t have some bad side effects. So I’m looking for more opinions on this.