Rabies Vaccination After Exposure

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
I have adopted a stray cat from an endemic country.
The cat has been dumped in a park since 2 month-old and has been living there until some rescuers took her home to foster. At this time he was almost 1 year old and they said they gave him a rabies shot at that time (which I can not trust actually). after 6 months now the cat has made it to Germany with me and I already have two other cats as well.
I am actually now so worried of Rabies virus.
Although the cat shows no single sign of rabies but I am worried he is still carrying the virus because I read that the incubation period can be even 2 years in cats. Also, he got the vaccination at 1 year old at which time he might have already been exposed tot he virus.
Does any body have any info about this?
So the mail question is does rabies vaccine help in case an animal might have been already exposed to virus?
Do you think i should vaccinate all three cats again for rabies? Does it help at all?
I have had phobia of rabies since I read scary stuff about it in internet and now I cannot just stop getting panicked about it, I am mostly concerned if new cat is infected and the virus is transmitted to my cats through saliva of new cat although he is vaccinated and shows no symptoms of rabies. is this situation at all possible?

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about cat vaccinations, but what I know about human ones is that if you are bitten by a rabid animal, you must get a rabies vaccine before symptoms show to prevent you from getting rabies. In fact, the majority of rabies vaccinations given to humans are after exposure as its not a part of our schedule (unless you work with animals).

I think your cat will be just fine if there is no evidence he was exposed and he has received his vaccines months ago. Your cats are also not at risk if they have been vaccinated too and have received their booster shots according to the schedule set out by your vet (I know it varies, some last a year, some last a few years)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It would be so incredibly rare as to warrant writing up in journals. Although it is possible for those long incubation periods, ALMOST EVERY CASE has an incubation period of 1 week to 3 months. I looked at about a dozen articles from trusted sources, and those were the lowest and highest time periods that I spotted.

Now, in humans, the vaccine is given after exposure all the time, and is effective so long as no symptoms have appeared. I could not find anything about that in cats. Only a vet could answer that, but I suspect it is quite possible. And your pets should be vaccinated on a regular basis. That schedule can vary according to which vaccine is used. Ask your vet about when vaccines should be updated.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
The cat has been dumped in a park since 2 month-old and has been living there until some rescuers took her home to foster. At this time he was almost 1 year old and they said they gave him a rabies shot at that time (which I can not trust actually). after 6 months now the cat has made it to Germany with me and I already have two other cats as well.
Although the cat shows no single sign of rabies but I am worried he is still carrying the virus because I read that the incubation period can be even 2 years in cats. Also, he got the vaccination at 1 year old at which time he might have already been exposed tot he virus.
So the mail question is does rabies vaccine help in case an animal might have been already exposed to virus?
Do you think i should vaccinate all three cats again for rabies? Does it help at all?
I have had phobia of rabies since I read scary stuff about it in internet and now I cannot just stop getting panicked about it, I am mostly concerned if new cat is infected and the virus is transmitted to my cats through saliva of new cat although he is vaccinated and shows no symptoms of rabies. is this situation at all possible?
@ronico - If she was vaccinated already, there's no need for concern; the feline rabies vaccine is virion-specific; it contains targeted immune antibodies to the virus. The vaccine can be re-delivered in the form of a one-year booster vaccine. If you're concerned that she was not actually vaccinated, have your veterinarian give your new kitty a rabies booster.

Dies ist eine gute erklärende Impfstelle, auf Deutsch:

Hauptimpfungen für alle Katzen

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about cat vaccinations, but what I know about human ones is that if you are bitten by a rabid animal, you must get a rabies vaccine before symptoms show to prevent you from getting rabies. In fact, the majority of rabies vaccinations given to humans are after exposure as its not a part of our schedule (unless you work with animals).

I think your cat will be just fine if there is no evidence he was exposed and he has received his vaccines months ago. Your cats are also not at risk if they have been vaccinated too and have received their booster shots according to the schedule set out by your vet (I know it varies, some last a year, some last a few years)
So you mean i should also get vaccinated? what are the odds that this cat carries a virus, is it a way to test if the virus is in his body? also regarding my cats, they are not yet vaccinated against rabies, only the new cat who comes from non-controlled rabies country is vaccinated, my main concern is the incubation period and the fact that the virus can be in cats saliva even 10 days before the animals shows symptoms of disease :(

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@ronico - If she was vaccinated already, there's no need for concern; the feline rabies vaccine is virion-specific; it contains targeted immune antibodies to the virus. The vaccine can be re-delivered in the form of a one-year booster vaccine. If you're concerned that she was not actually vaccinated, have your veterinarian give your new kitty a rabies booster.

Dies ist eine gute erklärende Impfstelle, auf Deutsch:

Hauptimpfungen für alle Katzen
Thanks for info,
What does virion-specific mean? Does it mean it prevents the disease even after exposure? so if the cat had possibly been bitten by a rabid animal in 1 year period before vaccination, is the vaccine effective at all?

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No. You don't need to be vaccinated from exposure to this cat. The cat is safe, he was vaccinated against rabies and has not shown symptoms. You only need rabies vaccines if you are bitten by a wild animal, a pet that is not vaccinated, or have had contact with bats as their bites are easy to miss (or if you are in a job that is high risk for exposure).

There is no way to test for rabies in a living animal. He will be fine, he is vaccinated and hasn't shown any symptoms and there's no evidence he was exposed.

Your other cats should be vaccinated according to the schedule your vet recommends-not because of this cat, but because they could catch something from somewhere else. If rabies isn't a concern in your country, they might not need it.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're not sure that he had the vaccination, you can do a titer test to confirm. (Although it sounds like he got at least 1 rabies vaccination, if not 2?)

The only way to confirm rabies is to perform an autopsy after death. Although you can't technically know for sure that your cat doesn't have rabies, it's so incredibly unlikely. Everyone-shelters, vets, etc-pretty much assumes a cat does not have rabies if it is not showing symptoms.

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you're not sure that he had the vaccination, you can do a titer test to confirm. (Although it sounds like he got at least 1 rabies vaccination, if not 2?)

The only way to confirm rabies is to perform an autopsy after death. Although you can't technically know for sure that your cat doesn't have rabies, it's so incredibly unlikely. Everyone-shelters, vets, etc-pretty much assumes a cat does not have rabies if it is not showing symptoms.
Thanks,
The thing is the cat is coming from a high-risk rabies country.
Do you know if a stray cat is bitten at some point by a rabid and heals and during incubation period of virus he gets vaccinated, does this vaccine have any effect or not?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just out of curiosity what country is the high risk country you are referring to? I would be more concerned to get your other house cats up to date on vaccines. If you are worried about rabies in the new cat why did you let it in to your house with other unvaccinated cats in the first place? It has been 6 months and your new cat is vaccinated, I really don't think you have anything at all to worry about.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks,
The thing is the cat is coming from a high-risk rabies country.
Do you know if a stray cat is bitten at some point by a rabid and heals and during incubation period of virus he gets vaccinated, does this vaccine have any effect or not?
That I had to do some digging to find, and the answer is not clear, but what I did find looks promising.

I got the best info from this site: Feline rabies |

Quoting this paragraph here
Rabies virus antigens are highly immunogenic and capable of eliciting the full spectrum of protective immune responses. The virus is not cytopathogenic, cells are not destroyed during replication or maturation, and low levels of antigen are presented to the immune system. Neither humoral nor cell-mediated specific responses can be detected during the early stages of movement of virus from the site of the bite to the central nervous system (Green, 1997). Hence, infection of naive animals with rabies virus most often results in disease and death. Such sequel may be averted by prompt immunization following exposure, demonstrating that the development of anti-rabies viral immunity prior to extensive infection of neurons is protective.
Which sounds like as long as the vaccine is administered before the virus reaches the central nervous system, they think it could work. (When the central nervous system is infected, this is when the animal starts to show symptoms.)

I was able to find 2 studies on the post-exposure prophylaxis (giving the vaccine or treatment after inoculation of rabies) in dogs. In one, they only gave the vaccine to 5 dogs and all 5 got rabies within a month. In the other, they gave 20 dogs the vaccine and none of them got rabies after 3 months. So the results are mixed, and definitely not conclusive either way. All of the literature does say that cats respond better to the vaccine than dogs do.

However, at the end of the day, pretty much every country's guideline or rule seems to be that after an animal has been exposed to rabies, it should be either euthanized or quarantined for 6 months. And since it's been 6 months for you, I think you and your cats will be fine! If you need more reassurance, here's an official chart:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such sequel may be averted by prompt immunization following exposure, demonstrating that the development of anti-rabies viral immunity prior to extensive infection of neurons is protective.
Which sounds like as long as the vaccine is administered before the virus reaches the central nervous system, they think it could work.
molly92 molly92 - Your assessment is correct; vide: "the feline rabies vaccine is virion-specific; it contains targeted immune antibodies to the virus..." in Post #4 - hence the reason behind the responds, "...if you're concerned that she was not actually vaccinated, have your veterinarian give your new kitty a rabies booster."

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the protocol for post-rabies exposure in (previously unvaccinated) cats is to vaccinate them right away, then quanrantine them for 6 months (or to euthanize and test the brain :(). So, because he was vaccinated and it's been longer than 6 months, you're safe! :D.

It definitely wouldn't be a bad thing to vaccinate all of your cats now, just so you can feel more secure about it. Your vet may have to special order the vaccine though.

Germany has been designated rabies-free. And rabies-free zones are super strict about letting animals in, to keep it that way. So if the kitty passed all the requirements to get into the country, I think you can feel pretty secure about it.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently finished walking down this road - twice in the last 2 months. SO i understand your concern.

Once with my Feral Mia who bit two people while in boarding. Once with myself the end of July when I was bitten by an unknown stray.

Mia had previous Rabies shots, but, they were not current at the time. She had to be quarantined in the house for 10 days. I was told point blank if she's alive in 10 days - we're in the clear - and then I had to get her up-to-date within 14 days after - which I did. (I.E Booster shot.) This seems to be the standard protocol for the animals shelters here too. 10 days quarantine - then booster. I'll try to get some more info on why for you as I'm curious myself. Like you I read it can live in the body for years... so the 10 day thing seemed weird to me. Unless someone here understands that and can explain it?

The second incident was me being bitten by a unknown feral. I was stupid, it was dark, my own fault. The bite wasn't bad but it broke the skin and because the animal was unknown and we couldn't catch and quarantine it for 10 days - I had a series of shots - I finished my last ones last week. Very, very unpleasant.

I have seen the cat since and they're fine. Had I known the cat the doctors and health department said no shots would have been needed - only the 10 day quarantine. The only reason they wanted me to have the shots as there have been a few cases of raccoon rabies not far from me - so the doctors were being cautious. The likelihood is exceptionally low.

The thought process, at least for everyone here - is 10 days quarantine - if there are no symptoms and the cat is alive - then get the cat up-to-date.

If you other cats are in need of their booster - then do so. It's better safe than sorry.

There is a debate currently about how long rabies shots in cats actually last. It's very similar to when we get Hepatitis A and B shots. Several years after - you can test the blood to see if the anti-bodies are still there and protecting you. If not - booster. molly92 molly92 I think that's where the titer test for a cat comes in? They are testing for anti-bodies in the cat?

I know for people they've said after two years you check again for the rabies anti-bodies and if they are at one level you still have protection.

I wouldn't panic as it appears they've had previous shots. Getting the boosters would be the thing I would be doing.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like you I read it can live in the body for years... so the 10 day thing seemed weird to me.
The virus can incubate for years (rarely, but it can happen). But during the incubation period the animal will not be shedding the virus in the saliva and won't be contagious. Once the animal is shedding the virus in their saliva, the virus is so advanced that the animal will be dead within 10 days. So that's why, after a bite incident, only a 10-day quarantine is needed.

The cat being exposed to a confirmed rabid animal is a different story. If an unvaccinated pet is exposed to an animal that has tested positive for rabies, the pet is immediately vaccinated and quarantined for 6 months (if the owner chooses not to euthanize). The idea is that the vaccine will either kill the incubating virus, or will make the incubating virus activate. So that's why it takes a longer quarantine.

The gist of it is: it's not possible for a vaccinated animal to incubate the virus for years---the vaccine should either kill or activate the virus. So if the animal was vaccinated and it's been longer than 6 months and nothing has happened, either the cat was never exposed, or the vaccine killed the incubating virus.

That's my understanding of the whole thing anyway. If anyone has better details hopefully they'll chime in.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The virus can incubate for years (rarely, but it can happen). But during the incubation period the animal will not be shedding the virus in the saliva and won't be contagious. Once the animal is shedding the virus in their saliva, the virus is so advanced that the animal will be dead within 10 days. So that's why, after a bite incident, only a 10-day quarantine is needed.

The cat being exposed to a confirmed rabid animal is a different story. If an unvaccinated pet is exposed to an animal that has tested positive for rabies, the pet is immediately vaccinated and quarantined for 6 months (if the owner chooses not to euthanize). The idea is that the vaccine will either kill the incubating virus, or will make the incubating virus activate. So that's why it takes a longer quarantine.

The gist of it is: it's not possible for a vaccinated animal to incubate the virus for years---the vaccine should either kill or activate the virus. So if the animal was vaccinated and it's been longer than 6 months and nothing has happened, either the cat was never exposed, or the vaccine killed the incubating virus.

That's my understanding of the whole thing anyway. If anyone has better details hopefully they'll chime in.
W Willowy Thank you - that makes much more sense as it confused me to know end to read the "years" thing but then only 10 days. It was never mentioned about quarantining for 6 months but I'm guessing that's because they are / were not suspecting Mia has rabies. (To which I would agree with.) Nor the cat the bit me. (And again I am in agreement with them.)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
If you're not sure that he had the vaccination, you can do a titer test to confirm.
:yeah: I assume you also got an "Impfpass/EU Heimtierausweis" (vaccination record in passport form) when you adopted her - it should be laminated to prevent manipulation. If you really have doubts about her having been vaccinated, you can ask your county "Veterināramt" (County Veterinary Office) to have a look at the passport and confirm whether it looks authentic. If she was brought in by a rescue organization rather than a private individual, the rescue had to be authorized to do that. The Veterinäramt can ascertain whether it had that "Einfuhrgenehmigung" (import license).

darkhorse321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is what my research of this topic discovered, but I am not a health care professional and I would urge you to speak to your governing body as this is a serious health care matter:

As a journalist who had a potential exposure to rabies, I found out a lot about the disease.

1. It is brutal. It is a ruthless encephalitis that attacks the brain. Any animal/mammal with rabies, WILL DIE. 100% fatal. This is why this is a health risk and why ALL ANIMALS MUST BE VACCINATED for rabies.
2. An animal or human will only contract rabies if they are bitten by another animal with the virus in their system AND ACTIVE. This means that the rabies virus is in the brain and thus, the saliva. Even an animal who is bitten by a rabid animal, that then bites another animal will not transmit the virus at that time, because they virus is not in the saliva yet.
3. DO NOT WAIT FOR SYMPTOMS!!!! Once you or a pet show symptoms, IT IS TOO LATE. Humans can get a post vaccine for rabies, but you MUST do so prior to any symptoms showing. I am unsure about pets tbh---if they have a post exposure vaccine for them
4. Rabies is NOT CURABLE once active.
5. Rabies is a virus that attacks the brain, and causes neurological problems. The inability to swallow is why people/animals froth at the mouth. They are desperate for water, but the muscles do not work.
6. Rabies comes in two forms: Dumb and Aggressive. Dumb rabies will show an animal stumbling, not being able to walk, losing coordination etc. Aggressive rabies is what you see and read in the book/movie Cujo.
7. Rabies is horrible and painful. The virus, once in the brain, causes severe pain. This is why some animals get aggressive as every sound hurts their head, their bodies are in pain, and the only relief is death.

Sorry to be so grim, but I URGE you to get your pet tested if they have any tests, and then get him/her innocculated. I would venture to guess your kitty is ok, as this virus seems to travel fairly quickly. But, again, I am a journalist, not a health care provider.

Best of luck to you!
ps--my case ended well, thank god.

Hi all,

Last edited: