Rabies or not?

PCBC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I am a 17-year-old male who was scratched by a cat. This cat is not a house pet, as it lives outside of the house and can wander around the village freely. I was lightly scratched on my hand with some blood. I previously took the anti-rabies vaccine nearly 2 years ago (4 shots) from a bite from a different cat, and I don't know whether or not I should take another one. This cat is also NOT vaccinated against anti-rabies. Suggestions on what I should do about this situation are appreciated.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Why are you getting bit or scratched? Rabies is transferred from saliva. So if it’s a scratch I wouldn’t worry. But consult a doctor to be sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PCBC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was rubbing his belly and I guess he was surprised by it? He doesn't usually react aggressively, so I didn't expect him to scratch me.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you were given the anti-rabies vaccine a couple of years ago because you were bitten by a cat, it means that there probably is a vector for rabies in your area. You do need to consult with a physician about this. It is possible that from a scratch they will not recommend that you take the vaccines again, but we cannot tell you that for sure.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I was rubbing his belly and I guess he was surprised by it? He doesn't usually react aggressively, so I didn't expect him to scratch me.
It's not uncommon for cats to become overstimulated when you rub their belly. We found that out the hard way with our last cat and avoided ever doing it again. This TCS Article about petting a cat will have some helpful information for you. Please read the paragraph on When To Stop Petting A Cat:: Do Cats Like To Be Petted? Science Behind Feline Preferences - TheCatSite