Rabbit making Gilbert sick

turks rule!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gilbert has just thrown up his rabbit again... He loves it so i thought that it was because he was eating too quickly. Today he had his two ounces in three stages, flattend down on a plate over a good fifteen minutes. Then as usual about ten minutes after eating, it all came up again.
He will eat chicken, pork, steak and gizzards with no problems ( will be buying turkey, duck and kidneys to add to the mix this weekend) Has anyone else seen this reaction to rabbit or any other raw meats?

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat can't handle pork, beef or venison. She either straight out refuses, or eats and throws it right back up.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Turks rule!

Gilbert has just thrown up his rabbit again... He loves it so i thought that it was because he was eating too quickly. Today he had his two ounces in three stages, flattend down on a plate over a good fifteen minutes. Then as usual about ten minutes after eating, it all came up again.
He will eat chicken, pork, steak and gizzards with no problems ( will be buying turkey, duck and kidneys to add to the mix this weekend) Has anyone else seen this reaction to rabbit or any other raw meats?
What was the temperature of the food, and what is the time-frame between Gilbert's feedings?

AC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

turks rule!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He has canned wet early in the morning, raw at lunch time, raw for dinner and canned wet late at night. He is ten months old. His raw meals are served after being warmed in a bowl of hot tap water. He had rabbit last Sat and again yesterday - both times he was sick.

saitenyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Apollo always throws up raw beef, although he's totally fine with cooked beef in canned food.

Athena throws up any time her food is too cold (as in still partially frozen). But if you're warming in a bowl of warm water, and you're sure it's all thawed, then that shouldn't be the issue. Just make sure the middle isn't still frozen. I've accidentally done that a few times.

So it's possible he has some allergy or intolerance to rabbit. Seems likely if he's eating other things fine and throwing up the rabbit consistently.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

He has canned wet early in the morning, raw at lunch time, raw for dinner and canned wet late at night. He is ten months old. His raw meals are served after being warmed in a bowl of hot tap water. He had rabbit last Sat and again yesterday - both times he was sick.
Looks like we can rule out an acidic tummy, the food being too cold and Gilbert eating too fast.

Hmmm. While nothing is impossible, I've actually never heard of a cat being allergic to rabbit before.

Where are you getting the rabbit from? Do you know what it's diet is, or how it was euthanized? Is it just raw chunked rabbit meat, or some type of commercial mixture / ground rabbit?

Rabbit is known to go bad very, very fast, most especially if any of the digestive tract is allowed to remain in the mix...

AC

turks rule!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. The rabbit was bought whole ( skin and intestines removed but the organs came with it) from a very good butcher. Rabbit is eaten a lot here in France. We cut it up and bagged it for the freezer within an hour of getting home( it had been in our fridge). I am a "clean freak" so i dont think that hygene is a problem. The first three times he ate it, there was no problem. It is defrosted overnight in the fridge as is all his raw food.
I am at a loss.... I have thrown away the rest of the batch. Its a real shame because i wanted to move him onto the rabbit with bone in. I am buying turkey and duck today - is it ok to feed duck with the bone? He struggles with chicken wings, but tries harder each time. I think his jaws are getting stonger

turks rule!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He ate kidney for the first time for dinner today. Lots of chewing and a small growl
No problems there. I checked at the butchers today to see if the rabbit had already been frozen before it was sold to me. My butcher was very insulted.... I dont know if i should try it again. He is so sorry for himself after he has been sick. Maybe its just one of those things that does not agree with him???
Nothing to do with food - but he dived into the bath again this morning!!!!!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the replies. The rabbit was bought whole ( skin and intestines removed but the organs came with it) from a very good butcher. Rabbit is eaten a lot here in France. We cut it up and bagged it for the freezer within an hour of getting home( it had been in our fridge). I am a "clean freak" so i dont think that hygene is a problem. The first three times he ate it, there was no problem. It is defrosted overnight in the fridge as is all his raw food.
I am at a loss.... I have thrown away the rest of the batch. Its a real shame because i wanted to move him onto the rabbit with bone in. I am buying turkey and duck today - is it ok to feed duck with the bone? He struggles with chicken wings, but tries harder each time. I think his jaws are getting stonger
Definitely sounds like he's making progress.
And as long as the bones are small enough for him to handle/break, there's no reason not to offer him a duck meat and bone meal.

Ref. the rabbet - I'm sorry, I'm at a loss, too. I've run through everything I know that causes vomiting. Maybe just give the rabbit a rest for now and try again in a few weeks? Alternatively, there is a rawcat yahoo forum that has a large membership of very experienced, long-time raw feeders... maybe ask your question over there?

He ate kidney for the first time for dinner today. Lots of chewing and a small growl
No problems there. I checked at the butchers today to see if the rabbit had already been frozen before it was sold to me. My butcher was very insulted.... I dont know if i should try it again. He is so sorry for himself after he has been sick. Maybe its just one of those things that does not agree with him???
Nothing to do with food - but he dived into the bath again this morning!!!!!
That's funny; your kitty likes water? I've known several cats over the years and only met one, my daughter's cat, Oscar, that actively liked water. He used to jump into the tub all the time, in fact, if we wanted a clean, cat-fur-free bath, we'd have to lock him up in a bedroom.

This is right after one of his tub-diving incidents...

Silly kitties.

AC

turks rule!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes i think i will give the rabbit a rest for a while. Your daughters cat is so cute! I have no idea why they like " bath diving".... Gilbert has always enjoyed watching while one of us takes a bath and clearly wants to participate
We think that he is a Turkish Angora ( i know that we can never be certain without papers) but it it is his cousins the Turkish Vans that are meant to be the water lovers.... Here is a pic of Gilbert post "bath dive" from a few months ago

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh-my-gosh, Gilbert looks JUST like my Allen! Absolutely adorable! I
orange kitties!

If you can catch him swimming in the tub, those would be some priceless pics.
(hint, hint!)

AC

turks rule!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today as i was rinsing out the tub with the shower head - we discovered a new game... Gilbert likes to stick his head fully under the shower!!!! He is such an odd cat. We drive him for about twenty mins each way every day to the woods for an hours walk. Today my husband was a little late from getting home and he was pawing and crying at the door like crazy - another first. He is working late tomorrow so we will not be able to take him out - help...
To get back to the raw feeding, he had turkey ( sinews, membranes et al) for the first time today with no probs. He also had a good try at a duck leg bone. There was not much meat on it and it was far too big for him to crunch, but he managed to get what little meat off it. I just wish he would learn to put a paw on the bone to steady it, if you know what i mean.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Today as i was rinsing out the tub with the shower head - we discovered a new game... Gilbert likes to stick his head fully under the shower!!!! He is such an odd cat. We drive him for about twenty mins each way every day to the woods for an hours walk. Today my husband was a little late from getting home and he was pawing and crying at the door like crazy - another first. He is working late tomorrow so we will not be able to take him out - help...
To get back to the raw feeding, he had turkey ( sinews, membranes et al) for the first time today with no probs. He also had a good try at a duck leg bone. There was not much meat on it and it was far too big for him to crunch, but he managed to get what little meat off it. I just wish he would learn to put a paw on the bone to steady it, if you know what i mean.
I know EXACTLY what you mean. LOL!

Gilbert sounds like a real character.

AC