Rabbit Attacks Cat?

FreedomKitty17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a very sweet (but skittish) female cat who is a few years old named Jemma. She was bullied by another female cat of mine, but it has gotten better since we added more food bowls and punished the fighting behavior. However, we have a rabbit who hops around the house freely, he uses his own litter box and doesn't chew on anything, and he loves to explore. He has started to bully her (Jemma) mercilessly. When she jumps onto a higher surface off the ground, he tries to climb and jump to get to her. I don't know why he is acting like this, he doesn't mess with any of my other cats and the cats don't mess with him. Does anyone have any ideas on why he bothers her so much? Thanks!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
He probably simply dislikes her. IME at the shelter, bunnies often take an instant dislike to and become very aggressive with some other rabbits, but can experience "love at first sight" with others. It's not too much of a stretch to believe they're the same way with another species.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FreedomKitty17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He probably simply dislikes her. IME at the shelter, bunnies often take an instant dislike to and become very aggressive some other rabbits, but can experience "love at first sight" with others. It's not too much of a stretch to believe they're the same way with another species.
That makes sense. I have guinea pigs as well and have noticed that they do that too. Any ideas on how to stop it? He loves hopping around freely and tries desperately to escape if he is locked in his cage. She doesn't like to be outside much, she goes out only occasionally, though I never force her. It would be very hard for me to separate them, as i am short on space. I tried using a spray bottle with water when he attacks, but it doesn't bother him much at all. Any help you or anyone could give is appreciated :) thanks!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He probably simply dislikes her. IME at the shelter, bunnies often take an instant dislike to and become very aggressive some other rabbits, but can experience "love at first sight" with others. It's not too much of a stretch to believe they're the same way with another species.
Yeah. I agree. Bunnies have a reputation of being sweet and innocent but they can be quite aggressive if they feel threatened. Especially if the bunny is intact. When a bunny kicks with his/her hind legs, it can kill a cat if it gets the belly area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FreedomKitty17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah. I agree. Bunnies have a reputation of being sweet and innocent but they can be quite aggressive if they feel threatened. Especially if the bunny is intact. When a bunny kicks with his/her hind legs, it can kill a cat if it gets the belly area.
Luckily, he hasn't tried to kick. He just bites and chases her around.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If it's a stud rabbit he could be looking for something to breed. Hormones will make animals do crazy things. From the little that I have heard about rabbits the boys can get very aggressive and violent when it comes time chase down a lady.