R.i.P. Duke, We will miss you!

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Today, my boyfriend's parents made the heart-wrenching decision to let our 12 year-old black Lab, Duke, Cross the Bridge . This is, by far, the hardest thing I have ever gone through.

I met Duke 7 1/2 years ago, when I first started dating my boyfriend. He was probably about 5 years old then, young and playful, almost puppy-like. His black fur had a beautiful shine to it. As the years went by, he lost most of his puppy energy, his fur started to gray around his muzzle, and, as it goes with bigger breeds of dogs, he developed hip problems. As time went on, his hips got worse. Eventually, he could barely get up to go outside. Thursday, he did not get up once to go outside, or to eat or drink.. Later on that night, he went to the bathroom twice on the floor where he was laying. It was then that we knew, the time for him to Cross the Bridge was drawing near. They just left about 10 minutes ago.. The only thing I can picture is him laying on that table, his life slipping away.. Its so hard! My boyfriend's heart is broken, as is the rest of his family. We know its for the best.

Play Happily over the Rainbow Bridge
Duke
, now you can run free and play. As your pain ends, ours is only beginning. Rest in Peace, you are forever in my heart Dukerz

Here is a pic

I am not a poet, so I found a poem online and wanted to share it here.

They say memories are golden, well maybe that is true.

We never wanted memories, we only wanted you.

A million times we needed you, a million times we cried.

If love alone could have saved you, you never would have died.

In life we loved you dearly, in death we love you still.

In our hearts you hold a place no one could ever fill.

If tears could build a stairway and heartache make a lane,

We'd walk the path to heaven and bring you back again.

Our family chain is broken, and nothing seems the same.

But as God calls us one by one, the chain will link again.

In Loving Memory of

-Duke-

(1998) - (9/26/10)

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a great old fellow, your Duke. So obviously loved and cherrished. And regal. That is a very good picture of him. You can tell he was a gentleman.

That poem has me sobbing. But it certainly is telling of your love for him.

I am sure he is at the Bridge, chasing sticks and feeling pretty chipper again.

God bless Duke and his wonderful family who made the unselfish decision to free him from the curses of old age, and not prolong things for themselves.

britt0285

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss. I know it is a painfully hard decision to make, but this way he did not have to suffer at the end. I hope that you and your family are comforted by your memories of Duke.