Quitting smoking....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ghosthunterbeck

I struggle a lot around smokers, but my best friend doesn't. .....

I smoked for fifteen years, and I tried to quit several times without success. I am so proud that I finally did it!

Congrats to you!
Congrats to you as well.... 6mos is awesome

I don't plan on spending alot of time around smoking friends that's for sure. It would be too easy on a night with a few drinks, and smokers, for me to seriously consider having one.

Unfortunately my mom and stepdad smoke alot, which is part of the reason I have delayed a visit. I know they will try their best to not smoke as much if I'm there, but still......the house smells like it, they smell like it, etc.

I KNOW I can't have "just one".

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have my story to tell. I took Chantix and zyban both together and has real good results. Please do not take chantix if you want to have a nice glass of wine. Alcohol and chantix do not mix at all, I am down 6 weeks with out a smoke and I really want one bad but I am dealing with it, This is a hard road to travel down but I am keeping my chin up and saying no to every time I have a chance to smoke. I hope all of the people on here who were quitting smoking have been successful and enjoying their new lives as non smokers. As for myself I have to work with it everyday and it is always a work in progress for the rest of my life!!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is awesome you found something that works for you and you are smoke free going strong!!!!!! I quit 3 years ago, and it wasn't easy at first, but does get easier. I think we should still have the quitting smoking thread as well! I am glad you shared your story and progress!
Keep it up and stay strong

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3wks and 2 days

no urges/cravings/nada... even with my horrendous week last week, I did not even think about having one.

Funny thing is, I still have some in the house and no temptation either.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
made it a month....with alot of stress, had cigs around up untill a wk ago, and did go to visit my mom who smokes alot.... She was very good about it and only had 3 the entire time I was there and I wasn't tempted.

I quit taking the Champix a couple days ago because I forgot a pill one day, and in doing so, it brought me back to how it was in the start, with the side effects being even worse (current stress level).

I won't be posting in this thread, because I find if I think about it, then I want one.... It was like that when I went to my moms. I was worried on the way there, but once I got there and we got talking, it was fine.

So I hope all the quitters, trying to quit smokers, and people who want motivation can learn it from this thread.

bianca

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been smoking for 12 years, and I'm trying to quit. It's not easy though, while beeing a student and almost everyone at campus smokes. It's also stress-relieving during examperiod... But now it's holiday, and I'm trying my best not to smoke. I've had 3 sigarettes this week (I usually have appr. 10 a day), so it's progressing.
I don't know how it's going to go when the next semester starts... I really don't want to smoke, I hate the smell of my clothes, hair and fingers. And I have a boyfriend that doesn't smoke, he hates it

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going crazy with this smoking thing. I have not smoked for 2 months, and my question is which is worse dying of cancer or obesity. I swear I have not been eating anymore than usual and i am growing like a big plum. I am losing ground and getting to the point where I think what is the difference. I am almost 50 yrs and this time the quitting smoking is really hard to keep from doing... I do not have sound mind right now and anyone who is addicted to nicotene will understand what I am going through right now....This is pure torture and I am really trying to get through it. I crave a smoke everyday and I hate it. The meds didn't work good and I did this on will alone. My mental state has not been stable since, But I'm working on it. I just want to go crazy. I'm going to die either way with cancer or a heartattack from being to fat from not smoking, Or smoke and I can raise the the odds of dying of cancer. I am in bad moods now and am going through awful adjustments. I try to be happy and it's not easy to pretend. This very hard for me to do. yes, I am a confused non smoker and I am getting ready to fall off the wagon

I vented! Thank you for listening

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh uggggg Abbycats...... Yup, I know how you feel, and yup its hard..... I still think about smoking but all it is is a meer thought, not a craving/want/etc.

Did you go off the meds? I was just looking back over the posts, and found the previous one from you when you were 6wks smoke free. Has something happened between then and now?

This is coming from a 32yr old, because of your age and I imagine you smoked a LOT longer than I did.....quitting is such a motivation for a younger person like me.... If you guys can do it (and by you guys, I mean people in their late 40's/50's/older) then I sure as heck should be able to do it as well. Ya'll are role models for me and please know, I am so very proud of you for trying, for going 2 mos.... for having the desire to better your life. That is amazing, please don't let anyone tell you different.

I'll tell ya tho, my mental state has not been the most stable since quiting smoking. It's a case of not knowing what to do. When I got upset, I went out for a smoke, calmed down and was done..... same with anger, disappointment, etc. I always smoked as a release. Now I cry
or take deep breaths. That was the hardest thing for me, trying to find something to replace what I used smoking for. It kinda sounds like you need to find that as well
Something other than eating.......

What is making you want to eat more? Is it the need of something in your mouth? Is it that you are missing something and trying to replace it by eating?

Please vent anytime you want.... I know others have moved on from this thread, but I'm still here, and will be here for anyone who wants to try to quit, or has quit and is having a hard time. I am very PROUD of you for venting

Bianca: Thank you so much for posting. You sound like you are doing really well on weaning yourself down to 3 smokes in a week.

When does your next term start?

One suggestion: you say you use smoking as a stress reliever..... what about it is a stress reliever? (you have to think hard on that one to find out what it is about smoking that is a stress reliever....... example, for me. I used smoking when I was stressed to calm me down.... what it did for me was give me 10mins of alone time where I was taking deep breaths, that was the stress relieving part of it for me) From there, you can try to find things to do the same thing.... for me it is going somewhere alone, and just taking 10mins to focus on me, relax myself.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have written 2 responses to this and everytime I'm almost done Zoey keeps jumping on the keyboard and erasing it. She wants to play with Da bird. Last night I took 3 puffs and blew my 2 months progress. It was just a minor set back, I'm still working on this. It is so hard to quit. I only took chantix for 1 month. My prescription ran out and I couldn't afford to get new one right away. I have been taking the generic zyban for almost 90 days. This is my third time I am quitting smoking. Last time I quit was for 4 years. It is such a battle everyday. I love this thread! It was this thread that inspired me to quit. Here comes Zoey again I will post later

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

I am going crazy with this smoking thing. I have not smoked for 2 months, and my question is which is worse dying of cancer or obesity. I swear I have not been eating anymore than usual and i am growing like a big plum.

my doctor told me that even w/o a dietary change, quitting smoking has the side effect of weight gain... i think he said it had something to do w/the fact that smoking a cigarette does something to your blood sugar levels, due to the addition of sugar to the tobacco [don't know why they do that, tho]. HTH!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have written 2 responses to this and everytime I'm almost done Zoey keeps jumping on the keyboard and erasing it. She wants to play with Da bird. Last night I took 3 puffs and blew my 2 months progress. It was just a minor set back, I'm still working on this. It is so hard to quit. I only took chantix for 1 month. My prescription ran out and I couldn't afford to get new one right away. I have been taking the generic zyban for almost 90 days. This is my third time I am quitting smoking. Last time I quit was for 4 years. It is such a battle everyday. I love this thread! It was this thread that inspired me to quit. Here comes Zoey again I will post later
My insurance isn't covering the chantix. $300 already spent and I am dying to smoke. Last time it wasn't like this at all. I honestly don't know if I want to spend the $ for the 3rd month. I'm hanging in there for now.

Originally Posted by laureen227

my doctor told me that even w/o a dietary change, quitting smoking has the side effect of weight gain... i think he said it had something to do w/the fact that smoking a cigarette does something to your blood sugar levels, due to the addition of sugar to the tobacco [don't know why they do that, tho]. HTH!
Great just what I need...more weight gain.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Let's see, its been a while since I last posted about 4 months I think. We have been doing very well at not smoking. Going cold turkey was hard but after the first week we got the hang of it.

Both DH and I have lost weight, I really do not wat to rub it in since most people gain weight. Its just that since we stoped smoking we boh felt the need to get in shape and start eating better. We have both stopped eating anything that comes prepackaged. We have stopped eating anything with high fructoce corn syrup also. Right after we stopped smoking I went out from work with the beginings of carple tunnel syndrom and basicly my doctor said, if you can grow it eat it. We obviously can not raise a cow but if we could we would so we do still eat meat. I am starting to make my own bread and everything. It takes planning but it can be done.

So instead of smoking my new addiction is eating healthy and cooking. I guess it could be worse.

Congrats to everyone who has stopped and good luck to those who want to.

Oh yea, the biggest thing for us to help stop was mind set. For those who are haveing a hard time, like anything in life, if you don't truley want it, it wont work. We both woke up one morning and were disgusted with the idea of lighting a cig. We walked to the local coffee shop each smoked one cig and left an almost full pack. We litterally walked away. We started thinking like non smokers. Everything we did we had to think like a non smoker. If we want to drink, why would we want a smoke, we don't smoke. We had to change our habits and actions to be more like a nonsmoker than a smoker. It was hard but the change in habit came very easy once we gave in.

Just remember everytime you want a cigarette to ask yourself why you want it. You are a nonsmoker why would a nonsmoker want a smoke? I know it seems hard but really set your mind to it, the mind can do amazing things.

I smoked for over 20 years and am only 32, do the math. For me I had no idea what my adult life was like without a smoke. I did it and if I could any one can.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You have to gain like 75-100 lbs to do as much damage to yourself as smoking does. Once you've adjsuted in your quit a bit you can think about weight loss. NOTHING is as important to your health as staying smoke free - no matter what.

I just hit month five recently. I am statistically beating the odds. that surprises the heck out of me. I am not motivated, disciplined or commited - yet I can quit and stay quit! Oh my gosh!

Two weeks ago my father almost died (he actually did, but they brought him back) from a heart attack; I got thru the days we didnt know if he was going to make it or not without a smoke. Unbelievable. I thought that would do it. It was freeing btw - not to have to run outside constantly to smoke. I didnt have to leave the unit for that - it was wonderful.

Every trigger-challenge I get thru w/o smoking brings me that much closer to thinking this quit might be for real. I usually dont have much confidence.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I am going crazy with this smoking thing. I have not smoked for 2 months, and my question is which is worse dying of cancer or obesity. I swear I have not been eating anymore than usual and i am growing like a big plum. I am losing ground and getting to the point where I think what is the difference. I am almost 50 yrs and this time the quitting smoking is really hard to keep from doing... I do not have sound mind right now and anyone who is addicted to nicotene will understand what I am going through right now....This is pure torture and I am really trying to get through it. I crave a smoke everyday and I hate it. The meds didn't work good and I did this on will alone. My mental state has not been stable since, But I'm working on it. I just want to go crazy. I'm going to die either way with cancer or a heartattack from being to fat from not smoking, Or smoke and I can raise the the odds of dying of cancer. I am in bad moods now and am going through awful adjustments. I try to be happy and it's not easy to pretend. This very hard for me to do. yes, I am a confused non smoker and I am getting ready to fall off the wagon

Originally Posted by laureen227

No, it's not the addition of sugar to tobacco. Smoking, like drinking water, increases your metabolism. Smoking, like drinking a lot of water, causes you to burn more calories.

My dad is a Type I diabetic and his doctor in college suggested he start smoking a pipe instead of drinking alcohol with his buddies. He has eaten a VERY strict diet his entire life - a set amount of calories and exercise every day. He quit smoking in his 50s, and he started gaining weight with no change in calories or exercise.

To keep the weight gain down from quitting smoking you need to either decrease your calories or increase your exercise in order to not gain weight. You can also drink 8 oz of water every time you'd have a cigarette. That alone won't keep you even, but it'll help a lot.

Laurie

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I havn't posted here yet, cuz I didn't want to jinx it... but I've been offically smoke free for 12 weeks now! I can't believe it! I made it six weeks once before, but this time 12 whole weeks!!!!

I've found this thread very insparational, thank you all very much!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hubby and I think like non-smokers now and it's been pretty easy. I don't know how long it is but I quit on January 16 and he a week later.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
7 weeks so far

For all you quitters, did you find that around 6wks or so, you thought about smoking more?

Now it could just be the time of my life, but the last week or two, I've thought about it more than previous.

It's NOT a craving, it's a thought of "it would be nice to have a smoke now" or "I could use a smoke"....then the thought disappears. It's not to the point where I've even contemplated bumming one, but still, the thoughts seem to be happening more as of late. Ironically, the thoughts do not occur during periods of stress.... I'll have to really think about it, as to what's going on when the thought occurs.

I have noticed when my neighbour is outside smoking, it blows in my windows, and I try to play mind games with myself and think that it smells gross, but in honesty, it is appealing

I have no doubt in my mind that I can never have one, EVER.

It prolly doesn't help that I had to go off of the Champix after bout 4wks (3wks after quitting) and you're supposed to be on it for 3mos.
I really had no choice though.

Anyways..... I hope everyone is doing well, and would love to hear from those who've quit longer than me as to whether after a certain amount of time went by and you starting thinking about cigarrettes again.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

7 weeks so far

For all you quitters, did you find that around 6wks or so, you thought about smoking more?

Now it could just be the time of my life, but the last week or two, I've thought about it more than previous.

It's NOT a craving, it's a thought of "it would be nice to have a smoke now" or "I could use a smoke"....then the thought disappears. It's not to the point where I've even contemplated bumming one, but still, the thoughts seem to be happening more as of late. Ironically, the thoughts do not occur during periods of stress.... I'll have to really think about it, as to what's going on when the thought occurs.

I have noticed when my neighbour is outside smoking, it blows in my windows, and I try to play mind games with myself and think that it smells gross, but in honesty, it is appealing

I have no doubt in my mind that I can never have one, EVER.

It prolly doesn't help that I had to go off of the Champix after bout 4wks (3wks after quitting) and you're supposed to be on it for 3mos.
I really had no choice though.

Anyways..... I hope everyone is doing well, and would love to hear from those who've quit longer than me as to whether after a certain amount of time went by and you starting thinking about cigarrettes again.
You will most likely go through this stage a few times during the first year. After I quit I found myself thinking about smoking at the oddest times. Not when you normally think you would want to smoke but right out of the blue for no apparent reason whatsoever. It generally lasted a few minutes then went away.
Remember each time you get through this is a victory and it does very much reinforce your self-confidence that you can do it.
After the first year is up these moments become less and less, until you reach the stage where you have no longer have any cravings at all. It does happen and when you realize that it has happen it makes you feel great.
Hang in there it does get easier....