Quirky Cat Behaviour.

Cato74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My name is Ellie and I’m brand new to the forum so ‘Hello and best wishes’ to all my fellow cat lovers.
I’d like to start by asking people what quirky foibles their cat/s May have.
Apart from nibbling my nose in affection, my 2yr old Oriental boycat ‘sweeps up’ around his food bowl when he is hungry. He puts quite some effort into doing this and will sweep for a minute or so then try and make eye contact or will ‘meow’ at me (he’s a VERY chatty cat anyway).
Also, he hoards little ‘treasures’ behind and underneath our sofa.
To my shame, my old sofa was a huge L shaped one, far too heavy to move alone so I’d shift it a couple of inches in each direction and hoover around it that way. On Monday, I was getting a new sofa delivered and the old one taken to a charity shop. The 2 delivery guys moved the old one and there were literally hundreds of pop bottle tops, milk bottle tops, cotton buds, ear plugs for swimming, shiny bits of paper, tin foil, asthma inhaler caps (now I know where they always disappear to), pieces of string, a withered banana skin and assorted other bits of trash. If I wasn’t so embarrassed, I’d have taken a photo. The guys were creased up laughing at the strange collection of ephemera and at me, down on my hand and knees (Only 1 hand - amputee, long story, lol) Turing to urgently gather up and bin this lot.
Cato was in the bedroom throughout this and when they had gone I let him in the sitting room and the look on his face was priceless...
First he looked puzzled at ‘his’ weird smelling new lounging item that I was allowed to use and then I watched as he went to the back and laid down and stretched one paw underneath and then, both paws. He was beginning to get a bit frantic so I pulled the new sofa right out - this one has wheels - and he looked properly stunned as he realised his ‘hoard of treasure’ was gone! If looks could kill I would be pushing up Daisy’s pretty soon.
What a strange fella eh? So, please Friends, do tell me about your cat/s strange habits and quirks.
All the best - Ellie.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm laughing at the picture you painted with your story and when I got a new couch last year (before the kittens...good planning, right? Not!) we found a few lost items and we didn't even have cats to blame it on!

Strangest thing I've seen so far is what Mizu does with a sink. Her name means water in Japanese. We didn't realize just how fond of water she really was. She will sit in the sink and "patiently" wait, swatting the soap bottle or tapping your arm till it's turned on. She will play with the first few drops of water with her paws before putting her mouth on the faucet and lapping up the water. Perfectly lovely pet fountain only a few feet away, mind you...and she does adore it, but this is her game.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cato74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My name is Ellie and I’m brand new to the forum so ‘Hello and best wishes’ to all my fellow cat lovers.
I’d like to start by asking people what quirky foibles their cat/s May have.
Apart from nibbling my nose in affection, my 2yr old Oriental boycat ‘sweeps up’ around his food bowl when he is hungry. He puts quite some effort into doing this and will sweep for a minute or so then try and make eye contact or will ‘meow’ at me (he’s a VERY chatty cat anyway).
Also, he hoards little ‘treasures’ behind and underneath our sofa.
To my shame, my old sofa was a huge L shaped one, far too heavy to move alone so I’d shift it a couple of inches in each direction and hoover around it that way. On Monday, I was getting a new sofa delivered and the old one taken to a charity shop. The 2 delivery guys moved the old one and there were literally hundreds of pop bottle tops, milk bottle tops, cotton buds, ear plugs for swimming, shiny bits of paper, tin foil, asthma inhaler caps (now I know where they always disappear to), pieces of string, a withered banana skin and assorted other bits of trash. If I wasn’t so embarrassed, I’d have taken a photo. The guys were creased up laughing at the strange collection of ephemera and at me, down on my hand and knees (Only 1 hand - amputee, long story, lol) Turing to urgently gather up and bin this lot.
Cato was in the bedroom throughout this and when they had gone I let him in the sitting room and the look on his face was priceless...
First he looked puzzled at ‘his’ weird smelling new lounging item that I was allowed to use and then I watched as he went to the back and laid down and stretched one paw underneath and then, both paws. He was beginning to get a bit frantic so I pulled the new sofa right out - this one has wheels - and he looked properly stunned as he realised his ‘hoard of treasure’ was gone! If looks could kill I would be pushing up Daisy’s pretty soon.
What a strange fella eh? So, please Friends, do tell me about your cat/s strange habits and quirks.
All the best - Ellie.

Cato74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Danteshuman. I was just a minute ago reading and puuraising one of your posts...
Can you ‘add friends’ on this site? If so do you wanna?

Cato74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm laughing at the picture you painted with your story and when I got a new couch last year (before the kittens...good planning, right? Not!) we found a few lost items and we didn't even have cats to blame it on!

Strangest thing I've seen so far is what Mizu does with a sink. Her name means water in Japanese. We didn't realize just how fond of water she really was. She will sit in the sink and "patiently" wait, swatting the soap bottle or tapping your arm till it's turned on. She will play with the first few drops of water with her paws before putting her mouth on the faucet and lapping up the water. Perfectly lovely pet fountain only a few feet away, mind you...and she does adore it, but this is her game.

Cato74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now I’m laughing at your post. In the uk there is a cat food advert with a cat messing around and ‘talking’ to droplets of water from a spout. Sounds just like yours.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one that likes to steal shiny things. Usually, they are from around the bathroom sink: Tweezers, my toothbrush, my razor, scissors, medicine bottle caps. I have to keep them locked up since so many of them are sharp. He takes things from the nightstand, too: Thumb drives, pencils and pens, my glasses, etc. those don't present as great a potential health hazard, so I accept looking for them as part of cat stewardship.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't feel bad about the couch! When I lived in a tiny studio apartment on the ground floor, I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't ever encounter any cockroaches while I lived there. When I moved out, I realized that Gwen had simply been taking killing them and shoving them under the couch, behind the fridge, etc.

Gwen would also hop into the bathtub and demand that we turn on the water for her to drink. Even though she had a perfectly good fountain to drink from in the kitchen.

Juniper likes to steal my socks out of my sock drawer and leave little trails of them around the living room.

Cato74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
8F15484A-8858-426F-BA5D-83DCE1042F30.jpeg
I have one that likes to steal shiny things. Usually, they are from around the bathroom sink: Tweezers, my toothbrush, my razor, scissors, medicine bottle caps. I have to keep them locked up since so many of them are sharp. He takes things from the nightstand, too: Thumb drives, pencils and pens, my glasses, etc. those don't present as great a potential health hazard, so I accept looking for them as part of cat stewardship.
*Cat Stewardship* made me just ‘splaugh’ Tango orange at my iPad screen and nearly choke. Humour so dry it’s like an arid desert!
I have this wall plaque that really reminds me of your words...

Guccismama

Blue Russian with Attitude lol
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I am pretty new here, I stopped in to find out if anyone has any knowledge about Russian Blues and what to do with new negative behaviours? I notice that my cat Gucci is totally different than any other cat I have owned or known. Once he thinks a new behaviour is permitted,which takes only one "wrong" action (normally from a visitor), it takes a long and painfully aggravating time to get him to stop. Now he has decided he is going to attack and bite and scratch any hand that comes toward him to pt his head or even body. He seems to think it is a fun game, and he is on the attack like with his laser or toy! I have tried so much to stop this behaviour, and he just won't go back to being my sweet baby! I have a 2 year old Granddaughter who will be coming to visit me soon here I hope, and I had him trained just fine to be around her, she could have crawled all over him, until ONE person played rough with him on the mouth and face ONE time, I finally walked in and saw it happening and said STOP PLEASE NOW, but it was too late, now he won't stop no matter who or what..really depressed in Ottawa...Guccismama..:(

Cato74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a short time of this with my oriental cat when a male friend was playing rough while I was away for the night and he was ‘babysitting’
My vet advised me to immediately stop any eye contact or attention with him, if he persisted, I was to hiss loudly at him as his Mammy would have done. This really shocked him when I did that and he stopped in his tracks and walked away briefly.
When he returned to me and was being nice, bumping his head into my hand, I gave him sweet affection but he started biting again so again, I ignored him, withdrew my hand and hissed. Within a few days, he learned that
A) I don’t like rough play
B) He hates being ignored
C) A hiss means ‘STOP IT’
There is one unfortunate exception to this rule however, whenever that friend visits, he recognises him as the rough play man and starts to try it on with him but my friend has been warned.....
You wouldn’t believe some of the advice I was given from supposed cat lovers at the time, I was shocked. More than one said ‘bite him back’ as if! One said spray him in the face with pressurised air or water and a few said to smack him, one said get a collar that gives electric shocks! Luckily none of these were friends or else they wouldn’t be now.
I’d love to know how you got on with your Gucci baby. X