Quick Question

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
So, today I will be feeding my cats raw chicken wings for the first time. They have previous bone experience, but I am wondering if I need to cut up the bone or only feed a specific part of it? Or can I just give them a wing and let them figure it out? Is there a reasonable portion size, such as half a wing or just one whole wing?

Is there anything I have to do to the wing before hand? (Besides thawing)

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed only the wingtips.
97524B1B-42AB-4F30-A9C7-FE5BBB9BB912.png

I cut it into three or four pieces for our fussier cat, but leave it whole for the cat who inhales her food. I don’t do anything other than thawing beforehand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, ok thanks. Is it still fine to feed the whole thing? Or is feeding a whole wing dangerous?

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would leave it whole then, because that way they can tackle it at their own pace and there won’t be a risk of them choking on a large piece. Choking is the only danger I can imagine.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, that makes sense. Thank you!

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I chop the wing into three pieces - tip, wingette, and drummette. Tip goes to Saipha, who's still learning how to chew bones. Wingette goes to Mishka (and the drummette the next week), and she eats it all. Nope, nothing needed besides thawing. Keep an eye on them though - they tend to drag it and toss it everywhere.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
I chop the wing into three pieces - tip, wingette, and drummette. Tip goes to Saipha, who's still learning how to chew bones. Wingette goes to Mishka (and the drummette the next week), and she eats it all. Nope, nothing needed besides thawing. Keep an eye on them though - they tend to drag it and toss it everywhere.
Yep, the dragging is oodles of fun :ohwell:... our kitties like dragging gizzards and making a big mess. That's why the cats eat now anything raw outside on the porch!

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Ah, alright. I think I'll try doing something like that.