Quick Question: Which Cat Litters Are Kitten Safe?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know Yesterdays news is recommended. Are there specific brands of clay littler that are OK?

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ As far as I know all litter is safe - unless there is a specific warning.
I use clumping litter with no problems. Silica crystals I would not use in case kitty swallows a piece .
My kittens popped everywhere except the litter box until they were about 8 weeks old. I would try to catch them "in the act" and put them in the box. They all learn eventually . I think they self-train by watching the other cats .
:hellocomputer:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
~ As far as I know all litter is safe - unless there is a specific warning.
I use clumping litter with no problems. Silica crystals I would not use in case kitty swallows a piece .
My kittens popped everywhere except the litter box until they were about 8 weeks old. I would try to catch them "in the act" and put them in the box. They all learn eventually . I think they self-train by watching the other cats .
:hellocomputer:
I have read that clumping litter is not recommended for very young kittens, because they may eat it and it expands in their stomach. It may block their intestines or something. Last time I fostered kittens, my rescue friend brought me a particular brand of clay litter that she said was safe. But I was kind of confused if that is the only brand that was safe.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you don't want to use a clumping clay litter. yesterdays news is good. So are any of the natural bio degradable litters, like the litter maid walnut litter, a grass litter, Swheat scoop, worlds best. Any non clumping litter, or the natural bio degradable litters should be fine. Kittens will often taste a bit of anything and everything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks duckpond.