Quick Question About Tapeworms

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know how, since both of my guys are on Revolution and only go out on a leash, but I found a tapeworm near Angus' butt. I've already called the vet and am picking up a prescription to treat both Angus and Leo. My question is the litter boxes. I'm assuming that a complete change of the litter and a thorough cleaning of all the boxes are a necessity but when? Should I wait until they've finished their medication or go ahead and do it this weekend while they're on the meds? I'm picking up some Droncit today so they'll start it this afternoon.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tapeworms require fleas to complete the life cycle. Cats can't get them by contact with contaminated poop, only by eating an infected flea (and sadly, it only takes one). So you don't have to go too crazy with the cleaning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tapeworms require fleas to complete the life cycle. Cats can't get them by contact with contaminated poop, only by eating an infected flea (and sadly, it only takes one). So you don't have to go too crazy with the cleaning.
Thanks, I'm still not sure how they ended up with them since they've both been on Revolution (Angus for six months and Leo for 2 months now), but they've both now been dosed with Droncit and neither of them showed any symptoms. If I hadn't seen a piece of white in the fur near Angus' butt and pulled it out only to have it wave at me :eek: I wouldn't have known about them.