Questions, Took In Our Semi-feral Last Week

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good morning!
So now we are up to TWELVE kitties. Hubs and I live in CT and trapped our semi-feral last Tuesday before the temps dropped and the big storm hit. We'd been feeding her consistently for about 2 years, 2x a day. We know she was pregnant 2 yrs back, but she had her kittens elsewhere..then someone unknown had her TNR'd. She's a lovely dark blue with an ear tip.
She's in our spare bathroom being kept separate from Gen Pop. She's not thrilled, but not aggressive either. She has climbed the window a few times (pulled down/bent the lightweight curtain rod), sometimes hides under radiator, but has also stayed on top of the scratch post/perch, even when we come in as long as we move slowly.
She's eating wet and dry food, and using the box. I managed to gently pet her face--rubbed her nose even--on Saturday, but then she hissed at me yesterday. But I think she scared herself when she pulled the rod down on Sat. night, so she may have been a little wigged out. =)
Here are my questions before allowing her out of bathroom into the adjacent office:
She isn't scratching her body or ears and looks healthy: good coat, shining eyes. Do I need to be worried about fleas/ticks/mites?
I should probably get her snap tested, right?
I should probably get her some wormer like Strongid or Panacur?

We have eleven cats in Gen Pop and they are all healthy. A couple are former ferals who had kittens in our yard, who have all been trapped/fixed and have safe indoor homes.

I'll need to get help from our rescue friend who trapped her in the first place, but I wanted to ask the general community here for input.
Thank you!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You definitely want her vet checked before allowing her any face to face time with the rest. Testing for FIV and FELV is a must. Also she will need vaccines. I would take things slowly. Allow her time to adjust to inside living before having her mingle with the others. It might be very overwhelming for her. When I bring former feral/strays inside, I like to keep them in their own space for awhile. You want her to be on very good terms with you first and used to inside living. Then I start by introducing the friendly cats first.

Yes, you also want her to be wormed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! No big problem with keeping her away from Gen Pop, but I was just concerned about possible fleas getting into the office, that has carpet. It's been so bitterly cold in CT so I wasn't sure if any bugs or larvae could survive it. I'd like to leave the bathroom door open so she's not totally stuck in there. It's only been 6 days though. Any thoughts are welcome! Thanks again.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could always treat her for fleas just to be sure. Do you use a flea treatment for your other cats? If so, you could use that on this one too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks again--everyone is kept indoors, never boarded, and we don't have a dog. Never had to treat anyone except the feral moms and kittens, who were found in summer.